Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Ticket Prices 2018

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles Ticket Prices 2018

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    FP - nobody is asking you to stay out of this thread - all views on the topic are welcome here, yours included. I'm just personally asking you not to be so negative about ME.

Chaim - I created this thread because there are so many posts about ticket prices and how unfair they are in 3.0, but I'm not going to debate in there. I do think it's a valid topic, though, for everyone to chime in on. Sorry you didn't like the way I phrased the original post. My view is clear - I think concert tickets are a luxury that people don't have a "right" to.

I actually thought this thread was going pretty well.
    I apologise, except that my comments were directed at what you wrote, not at you personally, and it was in response to Delilah who quoted that line herself. Of course I should have let you answer it. But I didn't.

Border Desperado

I am enjoying all of the thoughts and opinions on this thread very much. I hope it will continue in the manner in which it was intended.

My husband and I are boomers. Reading some of these comments made me remember how sometimes we didn't spend our money on things that were "wants" and not "needs" and saved it instead so we could enjoy some "fun" things now that we are retired.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

What I should have said in the original post instead of being "sarcastic":

"I don't want to pay that price and I refuse to"

or

"I literally don't have enough money to buy a ticket"

are entirely reasonable and logical responses to a disappointing situation and I think we all empathize and sympathize with anyone in these positions.

Criticizing the band for setting prices to concerts that routinely sell out is not a logical response - that's what I think. I know others disagree, obviously.
    Maybe logic goes out the door when someone loves another's art so much and wants to participate. Not only do their shows sell out, I think the vast majority of attendees feel like they got their money's worth, even those Borderers who spend many hundreds of dollars for one seat feel like it was worth it.

The measuring tool for determining what is "too expensive" should not be comparisons to other live acts. The question should be, do you get what you pay for?

Fans calling the guys greedy just really irks me. There, I said it.

Quote Originally Posted by My My View Post
    Delilah--Of course the things you listed, food, clothing, housing, etc. were cheaper back then than they are now, but the increase in prices now are due mainly to inflation. My larger point was that in the 70's concerts were not the big events that they are now. They were just an activity that you did with friends, much like going to a movie, just a step above. Seeing a concert then didn't involve using your dad's credit card. I always had $5-$10 sitting around from babysitting jobs and could buy a concert ticket. I think prices exploded in 1994 with the Eagles leading the pack at the time. And yes, I think they counted on us boomers financing these big events. Personally, I had 3 young kids at the time and couldn't or wouldn't buy a ticket to see my middle aged band. I think society at large is now much more willing to pay more money for entertainment than we did in the seventies. People didn't fly across the country or continents to see a concert. There were no VIP packages then. Reserved seating at concerts were generally two price ranges, one for floor and one for the other higher up seats. The person in the front row didn't pay any more than the guy in the last row on the floor. It mattered more when and where you bought your ticket.

So fast forward about four decades. Yes, I think ticket prices are quite high, but I paid to see my no longer middle aged band perform in Louisville in 2017 and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Classic Rock festivals and concerts have become huge money makers and are primarily aimed at the baby boomer generation who are most likely to throw down their American Express credit card on expensive VIP Passes, gourmet food and wine and lots of merchandise. That being said it is clear they are also attracting younger fans who are intrigued by the music of their parents generation and wanting to experience it before it's too late but they are the minority.

Speaking of too late, anyone know the average age of the acts at the Classic East/West?

I know for Desert Trip 2016 it was 72. And the average age for the audience was 51.

Source
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...nap-story.html

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Classic Rock festivals and concerts have become huge money makers and are primarily aimed at the baby boomer generation who are most likely to throw down their American Express credit card on expensive VIP Passes, gourmet food and wine and lots of merchandise. That being said it is clear they are also attracting younger fans who are intrigued by the music of their parents generation and wanting to experience it before it's too late but they are the minority.

Speaking of too late, anyone know the average age of the acts at the Classic East/West?

I know for Desert Trip 2016 it was 72. And the average age for the audience was 51.

Source
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...nap-story.html
    From my experience the average age would probably be 45-55 ish. I was the youngest person I noticed there. There were some young adults but it was mostly the 40-70 range

Border Desperado

It really irks me to, MaryCalifornia. First of all because I don't agree with it and in my opinion name calling is something that you shouldn't be doing past 2nd or 3rd grade because at that age you know what you are doing is both hurtful and wrong. Besides, who am I to judge their business decisions?

@YEF-- Watch who you're lumping into that "older adult" range! LOLOL. I'm only 49 and not quite in my dotage yet. Just crazy as a loon, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    @YEF-- Watch who you're lumping into that "older adult" range! LOLOL. I'm only 49 and not quite in my dotage yet. Just crazy as a loon, that's all.
    Oh don’t get me wrong pippin LOL, being young is definitely more of a personality thing than age. You’re still plenty young

Quote Originally Posted by WKMB55 View Post
    Besides, who am I to judge their business decisions?
    The consumer...the person they are selling to, has every right to say how wrong it is and deny said product. I have no problem judging them, they are public figures, and it's a business trying to make money. Just like I wouldn't buy from a store that was bigotous or had a CEO that was racist. Same thing. When you are the one buying, you have every right to speak against it or review it if you did buy it. Much like the consumer is always right, the buyer will always have more rights to speak negatively of the seller, but a seller bashing a buyer will always work to their disadvantage. It may not be fair to them, but it's just how it is.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Border Rebel

I agree Dawn, that these concerts are aimed primarily at boomers, but find it interesting that the average age is 51. At 51, these people wouldn't have been old enough to see these "nostalgia" or legacy acts the first time around. Of course average age isn't the same as median age. I'm sure many younger fans brings down the average age. My youngest son, who is 28 has become Eagle obsessed in the last couple of years and attended the Eagles concert in Louisville with me. I saw several others who looked to be parent/child combinations. At least I hope that's what they were...Yikes!