Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of Cass County

Default Re: Celebration of Cass County

To continue the conversation about transcribing lyrics to Cass County from the "Reviews and Comments about Timothy's album 'Leap of Faith'" thread, does DonHenleyOnline.com need the lyrics to the songs? Are we supposed to transcribe it by ear, or is it alright to just type it from the liner notes? I have the Target Deluxe and it has lyrics to all of the songs, except the last two bonus tracks. I wouldn't mind doing some of it, if JCL and/or others want to help out as well. No promises though, but I could do some if I'm watching TV. If it has to be done by ear, I'm sorry but that would take too much time and any contribution from me would be limited.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Thought I'd give an update - I've had a bit of time this afternoon and I've managed to type up lyrics for nine of the twelve tracks from the standard edition of Cass County (the only ones I haven't done yet are Waiting Tables, When I Stop Dreaming and A Younger Man). I've yet to do the deluxe tracks or the Target bonus tracks.

RCF, I think it would be a great idea to write up the lyrics from the liner notes. This means that if I do the songs 'by ear' then we will have two separate lists and can then compare the lyrics from each to see whether there's any difference or not. I have seen discrepancies in album lyric sheets before now, so having two sets of lyrics sourced independently using different methods seems a sound method of getting them accurate. I have the 16-track deluxe edition of Cass County on CD which I'm pretty sure also includes the lyrics. However, as my CD is over a hundred miles from my current location, this a non-starter for me right now, so I'm quite happy to do the others by ear as well.

Gosh, I've been quiet remiss in not posting the lyrics to Cass County on Don Henley Online, I know. I usually use the official lyrics unless there's an obvious discrepancy - for instance, sometimes to save space, they'll leave off a chorus. Regarding the site, the impediment is not so much the lyrics but the fact that I have to design a Cass County sidebar for the lyrics pages. I keep meaning to do it but it seems something else more urgent always seems to pop up. I'm ashamed that I've let a year go by, however, and still haven't put up the lyrics.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I was listening to CC yesterday and remembered that in an earlier post in this thread I said I needed to listen to the 'standard edition' version of the album, as the sequencing of the tracks on the deluxe edition is somewhat different. This seems quite unusual to me, as most deluxe versions of albums I've come across are essentially exactly the same as the standard one, just with the bonus songs. Well, I did actually give it a listen several months ago. However, I never got round to commenting on it!

As I'm mainly familiar with the album in the deluxe edition format, I find it helpful to remind myself of the 12-song standard edition tracklist:

1. Bramble Rose
    2. The Cost Of Living
    3. Take A Picture Of This
    4. Waiting Tables
    5. No, Thank You
    6. Praying For Rain
    7. Words Can Break Your Heart
    8. That Old Flame
    9. When I Stop Dreaming
    10. A Younger Man
    11. Train In The Distance
    12. Where I Am Now

By contrast, this is the sequencing on the deluxe edition (I've left the numbers off the four extra songs on the deluxe edition to allow a more direct comparison between the respective positions of the tracks on the two versions):

1. Bramble Rose
    2. The Cost Of Living
    3. No, Thank You
    4. Waiting Tables
    5. Take A Picture Of This
    (Too Far Gone)
    6. That Old Flame
    (The Brand New Tennessee Waltz)
    7. Words Can Break Your Heart
    8. When I Stop Dreaming
    9. Praying For Rain
    (Too Much Pride)
    (She Sang Hymns Out Of Tune)
    10. Train In The Distance
    11. A Younger Man
    12. Where I Am Now

The differences between the two editions can be summarised as below:
    - Take A Picture Of This and No, Thank You (tracks 3/5) swap places.
    - Train In The Distance and A Younger Man (tracks 10/11) also swap places.
    - Praying For Rain is effectively moved back from track 6 on the standard edition to track 9 on the deluxe.
    - By contrast, That Old Flame is effectively moved up from track 8 to track 6.
    - When I Stop Dreaming is track 9 on the standard edition, but effectively moved up to track 8 on the deluxe.

Having listened to both versions, I have to say that I think the sequencing is better on the deluxe edition. I was quite surprised by how different the album felt with Take A Picture Of This as the third song rather than No, Thank You, and overall I didn't think it was for the better. Although No, Thank You isn't one of my favourites from the album, after the two relatively slow opening tracks its energy provides a change of pace, which I think improves the flow. By contrast, while I prefer Take A Picture Of This as a song, I feel it's an anthem rather than an uptempo song and therefore it doesn't work as well there for me - track 5 feels too late to put the first higher energy track IMO. I also think putting Train before A Younger Man works better - although I think the latter is a good song, it is quite a 'downer' which makes it hard to enjoy Train (which is melancholy but a lot less bleak) as much after it, whereas the musically and lyrically upbeat Where I Am Now provides an instant pick me up after the album's bleakest track.

On the other hand though, the one thing I do definitely prefer on the standard edition is that Praying For Rain is earlier on the album - this is probably because it's one of my favourite tracks but on the deluxe edition it's surrounded by what I feel are among CC's less impressive tracks. I also think That Old Flame is slightly better positioned on the deluxe version than the standard edition- it's probably the album's catchiest song and I feel it should probably have been earlier in the running order. On balance, I'd suggest it maybe should have taken the track 3 slot on the standard version, as it's catchier than No, Thank You but has much more energy than Take A Picture Of This.

Overall, I think this would probably be my ideal 12-song version of Cass County with only the standard edition tracks:

1. Bramble Rose
    2. The Cost Of Living
    3. That Old Flame
    4. Waiting Tables
    5. Take A Picture Of This
    6. No, Thank You
    7. Praying For Rain
    8. Words Can Break Your Heart
    9. When I Stop Dreaming
    10. Train In The Distance
    11. A Younger Man
    12. Where I Am Now

I'll need to get around to listening to this version too at some point too! Maybe next summer...

(Apologies for such a lengthy post, but I should have done this ages ago!)
    Last edited by Jonny Come Lately; 08-06-2017 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Repeat: Where I Am Now... Where I Am Now... Where I Am Now!

I'm really sorry that I didn't get to the lyrics for this. I'm working on it now as I type this. Hopefully, JCL still has his version of lyrics from listening by ear.

EDIT: There aren't any official lyrics in the Cass County Target deluxe booklet for the bonus songs, "It Don't Matter to the Sun' and "Here Come Those Tears Again."

Ok, I finished it. Here are the lyrics to Cass County:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

I have the Target Deluxe version. Also, the lyrics don't contain Oxford commas. It does have repeat choruses in the official booklet.

If you don't have Google Drive access, I'll PM you a PDF version of this for copying and pasting.

On a side note, Soda, would you want the official lyrics from the booklet of Seeds We Sow from LB? I have a physical copy of the album. I don't think your BN site has it. It'll probably be a long wait, like Cass County though.

Yep, I still have the document with the 'by ear' lyrics in, although I'll admit I only got around to doing the standard edition tracks (partly because I did them around the time I listened to the standard tracklist). However, having listened to the album just a couple of days ago, when I looking at the lyrics for the four deluxe edition tracks, I don't notice any significant discrepancies (oddly enough, looking at the words written down, I think that with the exception of The Brand New Tennessee Waltz, these songs generally seem to have fewer lyrics than most of the other tracks).

The Google drive version works fine for me. I've noticed there's a few differences between my lyrics and yours. In most cases I think your version is correct, although there's a couple where I definitely disagree (the end of No, Thank You being one example). Easiest thing to do would probably be to annotate your existing document if that's possible - I've sent you an edit access request.

I shared it with you, so you could edit it, JCL.

Happy 2nd Birthday to Cass County. I'm glad he finally put out an album after 15 years of waiting. I hope his next album won't be 15 more years. lol

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Happy 2nd anniversary to Cass County! (a day late )

This is a very good, all-around solid album. Some of the vocal pairings don't work that well but this is still a fine effort. My favorite songs are "Praying for Rain" "No Thank You" "This Old Flame" and "A Younger Man." There are no songs I actively dislike however. Don has come a long way since singing his first solo country song, "You're Not Drinking Enough."

It may have taken awhile for this album to finally appear but it shows Don still has it!

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...