Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: LAST RESORT mentioned and played on Bill Maher

Default LAST RESORT mentioned and played on Bill Maher

Bill Maher closed his show on HBO friday talking about EARTH DAY and how we should just leave Mars alone already and focus on Earth..then he quoted the Last Resort saying "In the greatest song written about the enviroment Don Henley wrote......" and then he quotes part of the song. Then the show ended with the song playing. Credits scrolled and thanking henley cindy frey and Irving Azoff.

Default Re: LAST RESORT mentioned and played on Bill Maher

Interesting that the show thanked Cindy Frey. Did Maher need her permission to use the song, I wonder? I know how strict the band has been in the past about their music being used on TV (e.g. charging a very high fee).

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Border Troubadour

Which bits of The Last Resort did he quote out of interest?

Cause there is no more new frontier. We have got to make it here.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

I would have liked to hear the word "Eagles"

As for permission, Maher and Henley are Democrats, so I'm not sure it was hard to get permission.

Quote Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
    I would have liked to hear the word "Eagles"

As for permission, Maher and Henley are Democrats, so I'm not sure it was hard to get permission.
    It is funny you bought up politics as it relates to the Eagles. My understanding is that talk of politics is generally discouraged here. Then again any thread with Bill Maher as the subject wil be almost impossible not to bring politics into it. With that being the general understanding, I will try to tread lightly.

I understand why bands try to protect their intellectual property, as if left to the bootleggers, scalpers, etc. their music/craft/work would not put money in their pockets.
    On the other hand, a group like the Eagles who essentially live on their music from the past seem to take things too far at times, by confiscating cameras, video recorders, etc.
    They also seem to work harder than most to remove fan recorded concert footage on Youtube (even from concerts from the 70s), which I think is a shame.

Now as someone said, they are willing to have their music played for a kings ransom under certain circumstances, yet forbid it to be played for any price by those who they disagree with politically. This is not only an Eagles phenomenon, but also other groups who demand politicians (typically conservatives and/or Republicans) not play their music for any amount of money. Yet they will allow liberal politicians to play their music for free, if they think it will help them in some way.
    Aside from the obvious hypocrisy, it makes me wonder why it is not looked at in a flattering way. I could be the biggest leftist loon on the planet, but wouldn't think twice about a conservative playing my music. If they wanted to use it as part of their campaign, all the better so long as they paid me for it. The same would be true in reverse.
    `

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vector
    I could be the biggest leftist loon on the planet, but wouldn't think twice about a conservative playing my music. If they wanted to use it as part of their campaign, all the better so long as they paid me for it.
    I thought lefties thought people were far more important than money, so no amount of financial recompense would make up for the damage through association.

Joe's very unfortunate to share a name with a former, far right wing politician who is now a radio talk show presenter. Joe did a "Don't vote for Me" promotion during his namesake's election campaign.

I know very little about Bill Maher. I didn't realise he was anything to do with politics. I thought he was one of those comedian/talk show host crossovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I thought lefties thought people were far more important than money, so no amount of financial recompense would make up for the damage through association.

Joe's very unfortunate to share a name with a former, far right wing politician who is now a radio talk show presenter. Joe did a "Don't vote for Me" promotion during his namesake's election campaign.

I know very little about Bill Maher. I didn't realise he was anything to do with politics. I thought he was one of those comedian/talk show host crossovers.
    Maher has always had politics as part of his TV shows, even the ones with a comedy aspect, going back to "Politically Incorrect with Bill Mahar".
    Back then he came across as more of a libertarian, but you could tell he had liberal tendencies.
    Still to survive in Hollywood, you need to be full blown liberal now days, otherwise you are essentially blacklisted.
    The irony of course is that liberals/leftists railed against the blacklists for communists because a decent amount of them were communists. Still, they felt it unfair to keep people from working because of their ideology. Yet today, there is a liberal litmus test one must adhere to, otherwise they do not get much work.

If you were to watch his show now, he opens with a comedic monologue and the audience are rabid liberals ready to clap for anything anti-Trump, anti-Republican, etc.
    Then later he has a panel that sit down and discuss mostly politics, with two or three leftists, and one RINO who gets attacked by the rest of the panel/Maher.
    However he sometimes has a hard right person on like Ann Coulter. There is a video clip of her predicting way back in the beginning of the Republican primary that Trump would win the presidency. She was laughed at and mocked, but turned out to be correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbygriZT1Xw

She also said Bernie would make a more formidable Democratic candidate, and I agreed with her.

Anyway, as this relates to the Eagles music, there is little doubt Henley is politically left of center, as was Frey. I know nothing about Azoff's politics, but he is likely a leftist as well. Now I know most would assume Frey's wife was liberal, but you never know. Some marriages can work with two people who love each other, yet are diametrically opposed politically. Probably the big Frey fans would know a lot about her, even her politics.

The point being that I can see where all three gave permission to Maher because he aligns with their politics. However I'd bet dollars to donuts they would refuse to let Rush, Savage or Hannity use anything by the Eagles, as they are conservatives/libertarians.
    `

You can look up anyone's political donations here it's all public record.

http://www.fec.gov/finance/disclosure/advindsea.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    However I'd bet dollars to donuts they would refuse to let Rush, Savage or Hannity use anything by the Eagles, as they are conservatives/libertarians.
    As they should because those guys you mentioned are biggoted pigs....why do you think the musicians you cherish would want top be associated with those clowns? There is also a reason why most artists that we all have loved for years are "lefties". Artists are usually more open minded...accepting of others, of new ideas etc etc etc...something "conservatives" (its right in the name!) are not. Thats why you have to search real hard for a musician that wants to be associated in any way with the current moron in the White House.