Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Glenn Frey Tribute at the Troubadour ---

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Glenn Frey Tribute at the Troubadour ---

They could have included far better solo songs than WBSIMB. While I understand emphasising the 'generosity' aspect I think Wasted Time is a particularly strange inclusion. They should have included something from the rapidly fading LROOE, an album where Glenn actually had some standout moments.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Thanks for posting the review Steve, an excellent summary and really gives a feel of what it would have been like to be there. Thanks also to UtW and Dreamer for posting the link and article respectively.

I agree that LROOE should have been represented, even if only with How Long (although I'd personally have been very happy if, say, YANA, IDTWNW or Somebody had been included, and IYWN could have been very moving).

Of the songs included that weren't Glenn vocals, I feel most of them can be justified. In my opinion I Can't Tell You Why fully justifies its inclusion - it was one of his personal favourites, inspired by the R&B music he loved so much, and features his beautiful guitar solos. One Of These Nights I believe was Glenn's favourite Eagles song, so I'm sure he'd have been happy to have it on the setlist, and although Take It To The Limit is Randy's signature song, Glenn has sung it live with the Eagles, while Desperado is a song he has performed himself albeit not with the band. MOUAS is a song he wrote on his own, while The Sad Café has particularly significance to the Troubadour.

Wasted Time and The Best Of My Love admittedly do not seem like especially obvious choices for a Glenn tribute, but in fairness, both songs do feature Glenn in important roles (the piano on the former and acoustic guitar on the latter are both probably the most recognisable pieces of music on those songs). The main one that slightly confuses me is Hollywood Waltz. It's a pretty good song, but not a hit and hardly a definitive Glenn work - when I hear that one I tend to think mainly of Don H and Bernie. If there's one song I wish had been included, it would have to be James Dean, as it would acknowledge both Glenn's life and that of one of his favourite film stars.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Steve, thanks so much for your review and how cool that you got to go to this wonderful event!

I, too, would have chosen a couple other "Glenn" songs rather than Wasted Time and Best of My Love, but whatever! The Heat is On and Somebody come to mind.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Steve, thanks so much for your review and how cool that you got to go to this wonderful event!

I, too, would have chosen a couple other "Glenn" songs rather than Wasted Time and Best of My Love, but whatever! The Heat is On and Somebody come to mind.
    Jack Tempchin could have sung Somebody. He co-wrote it & I have seen a video of him performing it.

Here's an article and pictures from last Saturday tribute event for Glenn.

http://www.thebluegrasssituation.com...ght-troubadour

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks again, shun. I'm going to go ahead and post that article with some of the pictures, but not all of them ...

Photos: Inside the AMA's Glenn Frey Tribute Night at the Troubadour

February 15th, 2016 / By Amy Reitnouer

It was late afternoon in West Hollywood. The warm California sunshine was streaming through the musty windows of the iconic Troubadour nightclub on Santa Monica Boulevard, illuminating the nooks and crannies of a space typically only seen in the dim lighting of a rock show. A group of folks -- including Americana Music Association head Jed Hilly and his right-hand wonderwoman Michelle Aquilato -- were scrambling around the front bar, using it as a de facto office space in preparation for the evening’s activities: an all star, pre-Grammy tribute to Eagles’ co-founder Glenn Frey, who passed away last month following complications from rheumatoid arthritis.

Throughout the day, artists had been shuffling in and out to go over their performances with the house band -- local stalwarts Venice. At one point, former Civil Wars front man John Paul White coolly and quietly strode in for rehearsal. His first few notes made the whole place come to an abrupt stop. White’s vocals on “New Kid in Town” sounded like Frey himself had wandered back to into the room where his band was formed. (It was in that same front bar where he and Don Henley first met back in 1970.)

It was this same hallowed nature that pervaded the whole evening. Nearly every one of the 20 guests spoke of how the Eagles' music had influenced them in one way or another, or how they weren’t worthy of playing Frey and Henley’s songs on the stage that launched them to fame. (The evening’s most notable moments came from Lee Ann Womack, Ruby Amanfu, Escondido, and the iconic Bonnie Raitt.) And, with on-stage appearances by legends like photographer Henry Diltz (who shot the band’s first two album covers) and songwriter Jack Tempchin (who penned mega hits like “Peaceful Easy Feeling”) -- plus the attendance of the band’s longtime manager Irving Azoff and Frey’s widow and family -- the evening felt more like a reverent celebration of life than just another tribute show.

Photographer Henry Diltz remembered his long-time friend and fellow adventurer.

Lee Ann Womack offered up poignant takes on "Best of My Love" and "I Can't Tell You Why."

Jack Tempchin, a Frey co-writer, dug into “The One You Love” and “Already Gone.”

Ruby Amanfu puts her heart and soul into "Sad Café" -- a song written about the Troubadour.

Bonnie Raitt and Nicki Bluhm tear through "Heartache Tonight."

Bringing it on home with "Lyin' Eyes" and "Take It Easy."

All photos by Austin Nelson for The Bluegrass Situation

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I looked at the other photos & everyone did seem to put their hearts & souls into it.

Poor Danny Grenier. He's someone we haven't mentioned much. He must be going through hell. He was such a loyal bandmate & I was lucky enough to see him a few times. I will never forget the look on his face at the Opera House when he saw how I reacted to The Girl From Yesterday.

I have seen pictures of Danny in Glenn's solo band, but never knew his name.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Those are really great photos.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Those photos are cool! I'm glad that they were taken.

I've thought about Danny, and the other guys like Michael Thompson, Scott Crago, Al Garth, and Will Hollis. They had played with the band or Glenn since the 80s or 90s. They may have onky been "backing" musicians, but they were still important and I'm sure friends with Glenn.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time