Page 42 of 129 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

My Special Moment was three years ago today (February 21).

For any new people who may have wondered about the signature here is the thread. The relevant post is on Page 2.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...ead.php?t=4110

I smiled reading about it again. I thought I would be upset but I wasn't.

I realise that it doesn't compare with the experiences of those who met him at Pebble Beach & Niagara Falls but it was the highlight of all my years as a fan.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

As I said on FB FP, treasure that moment - I have no doubt you will.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverAcidRayne View Post
    I had one of those moments. where I thought I could take a long drive and blast the eagles like I used to. but I end up sobbing and trying to keep my car in the road. a long process. I know
    That happened me yesterday - sobbing like a baby during POMPOY. You think you will be strong enough to play his music and then you just end tearing up.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

I love all the personal memories that have been posted but I'll have to make do with transcribing Cameron Crowe's from the Rolling Stone podcast.
    A really kind of game-changing kind of personality because Glenn kind of arrived with a big plan and a point of view that he was not going to hit the roadblocks that the guys he’d read about and heard about that he’d listened to and loved in the past had. Glenn was like, “to be paid is not a sin. I’m not going to let it change what I’m doing but I’m not going to the Wailing Wall if I get paid properly.” He really wanted to know that he wasn’t going to end up on the trash heap in any way. This work that he was doing, this playful team-oriented work that he was doing was going to be hopefully remembered for the songs not for any tragedy that cut their journey short and in that way it was like a coach or a team thing: “We’re going to go all the way. We’re going to take our time. We have a strong bench.” He was a guy who put you on the team as soon as you met him. You had a nickname. You had an invisible jersey that he put on you and you were with him. He was your wingman and you were his wingman and that was the way he moved.

Border Desperado SilverAcidRayne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    As I said on FB FP, treasure that moment - I have no doubt you will.

That happened me yesterday - sobbing like a baby during POMPOY. You think you will be strong enough to play his music and then you just end tearing up.
    yes. that's exactly it. Desperado and Tequila Sunrise is out of my playlist for a while. lol

I've been listening to his playlist on my iPod touch - the long one, with not only the released stuff but unreleased live material.

Today, I was playing the iPod through my car speakers, and "Peaceful Easy Feeling", the Hell Freezes Over outtake version, came on. It starts out with just his voice singing softly and it's so clear; it's like he was in the air all around me. I just reached out, touched the speaker and said out loud, "I miss you, Glenn." I was on my way to a wedding so I choked back the tears.

Sometimes, remembering Glenn Frey is painful right now and some songs hit harder than others, but I know one day I will be able to hear them and smile. "No tears allowed" right? Easier said than done, though!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

We're getting there.

The song that touches me is Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise.

Sooner or later we all have to die
    Sooner or later, that's a stone-cold fact,
    Four men ride out and only three ride back
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Its sad that a few of their songs now are coming true especially when it kinda deals with people leaving this world.

I heard Doolin Dalton for the first time in months on Pandora yesterday and I heard Doolin Dalton/Desperado reprise early this week. 4 men ride out and only 3 ride back. I always thought the lines leading to line was always powerful especially now with Glenn gone.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Thanks for posting what Cameron Crowe said!!! I love hearing more about their friendship so much. I recently rewatched "Almost Famous" and I always knew William & Russell were Cameron & Glenn and now I just love that movie even more. Especially how it proves the Lester Bangs character wrong that William will never be friends with a rockstar because Cameron and Glenn's friendship lasted this whole time. And it still makes me wonder if Cameron's mom ever yelled/gave advice at Glenn like those scenes with William's mom and her telling Russell he has to straighten up and prove he was a man of respect and to leave his mark, because he did.

It's weird too about how I've been able to listen to most of the Eagles and Glenn's solo songs without crying but hearing "Desperado" and the "Doolin Dalton/Desperado" reprise just has me in tears. I've for a long time have thought of "Desperado" with fitting some of my favorite fictional characters, especially the ones that get killed off, but now it just makes me think of Glenn and how it fits.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    My Special Moment was three years ago today (February 21).

For any new people who may have wondered about the signature here is the thread. The relevant post is on Page 2.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...ead.php?t=4110

I smiled reading about it again. I thought I would be upset but I wasn't.

I realise that it doesn't compare with the experiences of those who met him at Pebble Beach & Niagara Falls but it was the highlight of all my years as a fan.
    Julie - It doesn't matter what experiences others have had. The important thing is how special your experiences with Glenn were for you. These are the kinds of moments that are yours only and you should cherish them forever.

Now, as far what songs affect us, I remember a few weeks ago that I just lost it when I first heard those words from Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise ...

Four men ride out and only three ride back.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I'm sitting in a karaoke bar right now watching my husband shoot pool. He's wearing the t-shirt we bought when we saw the HOTE concert in Atlanta in 2014 (probably hoping it will help him get lucky tonight! ;D ) I hear the beginning notes of Tequila Sunrise, and the tears begin to fall once again. Reality sucks!! :'{