Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I no longer am happy with my favorite band

Default Re: Why I no longer am happy with my favorite band

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesKiwi View Post
    Firstly, welcome Vector. I appreciate the amount of thought you put into your posts. As I was reading I was mentally composing my response, then saw that AEW21 has covered most of it off brilliantly (and bluefox - so succinct!).

I will just add - everybody in our lives will do things that we don't agree with, and if they're important (e.g. family) we learn to separate the behaviour from the people. In this case perhaps you can separate the behaviour from the music.

Also - they didn't have to make a documentary that exposed their less-than-angelic behaviour. In choosing to do so, I feel they're allowing us to see that the music does transcend the personalities and conflicts. JMHO.
    Thanks for the welcome.

What I failed to do is give Frey/Henley props for their willingness as co-owners of the Eagles to let others have their say.
    One could easily see how the History of the Eagles could have only come from their perspective, and those who would only offer admiration. It is hard to imagine that a narcissistic "star" of today would be willing to allow critics to say their piece of mind.

That said, it did seem as if Henley/Frey had the lions share of the Doc time, and one wonders how much editorial control they had as well. I say this because they have always been a tightly managed band when it comes to keeping things in house. Combined with an almost cursory look into their rift and one might come away thinking it had always been Frey/Henley love fest, with everyone else being the primary reasons for their troubles.

`

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    You say that Soda and Henley Honey don't have their facts straight, yet, your posts are riddled with misinformation and factual errors.
    I believe you mischaracterized my position in regard to Soda. I do not recall saying she has her facts wrong, rather my recollection is a little different than hers.
    For example I said I would go back and listen to L-eadons comment regarding John's, to see if he was speaking for himself as an individual, or the band as a whole. I know she got the words right, I just do not recall the context. So until one of us or someone else checks/recalls, it is up in the air.

As to Henley Honey's position, I'll let you or others be the judge who has their facts incorrect.
    Her stated position is that Frey was the boss, and Felder was an employee. My position is that Frey was an owner and Felder was also an owner.

As to my posts being "riddled with misinformation and factual errors", please let me know where you believe this to be the case. Remember, I am not claiming to be an authority, just a recently educated person with a strong interest. I also do not have a horse in the race, so I am not looking through a individual members fan based lens.

All that is not to say I am infallible, incapable of error, or misunderstanding.

`

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Welcome to The Border, Vector!
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by sad-cafe View Post
    yup! I was quite offended at the "liberal Kook" label, but being new, didn't want to really address the politics. I LOVE that my Eagles are Democrats and very active in trying to make the world a better place!
    I addressed this in another post, but in case you missed it, let me talk to you directly. I was referring to Jerry Brown, not (D's) in general, nor any individual member here.

Let's face it, there are kooks/zealots/wacko's on both sides of the aisle. Depending on ones own personal perspective, one persons kook might be another persons favorite politician. I still believe Governor Moombeam is a kook, but nothing personal was intended by the comment.

Hopefully this personal reply will suffice, lest you think I was calling you or all (D's) kooks.

I've been reading this "post" for the past several days and I'm left wondering why you, Vector, would want to join "The Border" if you're so unhappy with your "favorite" band? As you may have noticed, the "borderers" LOVE their EAGLES and are very well informed and passionate about the "boys". Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but why start an "I hate Glenn Frey" campaign (my opinion only) on our beloved Glenn Frey page? I for one, love Glenn for his music and his savvy in the music world...but I certainly do not know him personally and therefore, would NOT judge his actions or inactions, whatever they may be. All I know is that a Michigan teenager made a huge impact in the music world and after 40 years, he still is...and frankly, that's all that REALLY matters....

Quote Originally Posted by Glennhoney View Post
    I for one, love Glenn for his music and his savvy in the music world...but I certainly do not know him personally and therefore, would NOT judge his actions or inactions, whatever they may be. All I know is that a Michigan teenager made a huge impact in the music world and after 40 years, he still is...and frankly, that's all that REALLY matters....
    Here, here GH! But, I do welcome you to The Border, Vector. You are certainly entitled to state your views & to discuss your disillusion with the band. I know that I am biased so I think I will stay out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    Here, here GH! But, I do welcome you to The Border, Vector. You are certainly entitled to state your views & to discuss your disillusion with the band. I know that I am biased so I think I will stay out of it.
    Vector..you are DEFINATELY welcomed to THE BORDER....to state your opinions like everyone else..

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    Thank you
    You're welcome! I would invite you to look around the board and get to know us and give us your thoughts on other topics. There's a lot more to us than this one topic, and I've not seen you post elsewhere. Just want to toss out the welcome mat and make sure you know to feel at home everywhere.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Golly, I love your avatar, Glennlover. Not often we ever got to see the long hair back in a ponytail...

Back to topic--Like others, I would really love to know what "final cut" approval, or editing control, and of the band or Irving had on the film. Really, it should have been none, if they wanted it objective. But I did at times feel there was a narrative being forced upon the film and its events--at certain times, as others have said, it felt as if Glenn and Don's comments and voiceovers were scripted or rehearsed into becoming forced transitions into different parts of the film.

And to me, if the "real life" story wasn't coming together enough for them to stitch together the film, that's the filmmakers' faults for not asking the questions that needed to be asked and not getting the footage that needed to found/filmed. As much as I enjoyed the doc, it was lacking in terms of pacing and cohesion at times, and I thinks its those qualities that are contributing to the questions and qualms many are having. Not to say that is the film was "made better" that it would excuse the behavior of any individuals or make everything seem hunky-dory... But I think a little more information and depth would do a lot in clarifying matters.

(Could you claim that maybe Glenn and Don stonewalled the filmmakers at certain points, hence the ambiguities? Maybe, but I don't think so. They're fairly blunt in what they say, and don't come off as being afraid. To be frank, at times, they don't come off in the best light, and if they were controlling the film and its ultimate edit, I don't think we'd see that. I think it was the director who became so overwhelmed with the task that she couldn't see the forest for the trees," so to speak and got things muddled. The unbalance in time and quality between Pt. 1 and Pt. 2 alone attest to an inequality in questions and coverage...)

To me, of all the former members, Bernie comes off the best and gets the best overall treatment to his Eagles journey. We see clearly why and how he joined the band; they reiterate several times what his issue was with the band's progress, and we hear clearly from several sources why and when he left. Neither Randy or Felder got such compete "arcs." Randy really gets the worst of it--there had to be a 30 minute+ stretch where he wasn't spoken or at all, in footage or modern "talking head" interview. It could have been due to his health or due to not remembering things, or that the interviewer simply didn't ask the right questions to illicit a story from him that could make it on the screen. But the fact we don't hear from him about his feelings about leaving the band is an egregious error on the filmmakers' parts. As for Felder, his saga devolves into a "He said/They said" game that clarifies nothing. The entire lawsuit is glossed over, and what exactly each side was fighting for, past just money but RE: contract specifics, isn't delved into at all. A good filmmaker would have covered that--this film seemed content to leave it vague in the worst possible away for all involved in the conflict.

Perhaps what I liked best about the Bernie section, and why we all keep coming back to it, it that it seems like the only bit of drama in the band where "time seems to have healed all wounds." Bernie and Glenn all seemed to have distance from it and look back more objectively. I like that we heard Bernie's side afterward, remorseful perhaps for the way he went about it, but happy that he knew it was the right move for him in the long run to leave the band. And I got from Glenn that he knew his "adamant and animated speech" was a bit too much, and that he chuckled at the memory of Bernie pouring the beer. None of it seemed bitter or raw--the entire segment has a reflection and graciousness I wish the rest of the film had. (The only other segments that have this cohesion and compasssion are those regarding Joe's personal journey.)

And this is totally off-topic from what I've been saying, but since Glyn Johns' name has been bandied about--this is a 2012 essay Glenn wote on he and the Eagles' time in London of the UK Telegraph. It's actually a really good read, and touches a bit on Johns:
    Golf aside, the reason The Eagles first came to London was to find a new sound; something different to all those other California bands. I thought we should get a British producer – who knew about the rhythm section – and that’s how we came to meet Glyn Johns. He’d worked with The Beatles on Get Back, so I knew we were in good hands. I look back on those times fondly. There are people who think of The Eagles as a dysfunctional band – it’s true that we’re all passionate guys – but for the most part, we just had an absolute blast making our first record.
    If only that came off more in the film...

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    I am not trying to stir things up with you, but when people agree to disagree, it normally involves opinion, not fact.

In the case of our discussion you contend that Glenn was the boss or as you waggishly put it, "Chief Eagle Officer".
    Yet that is not representative of the facts. He was one of 4 owners, eventually 5 owners, which he insisted upon.
    Now if all the other owners had no problem with him being the boss, we would not be discussing how two of the five quit, and one was improperly fired.

If what RebeccaLovesEagles points out is entirely accurate how Eagles Ltd was structured, once a member quit, their shares revert back to the oowners. So at one point that would have made Felder a 1/3 owner, not an employee that was offered a "profit sharing plan".

`
    I've been dying to says this since you started posting -- and only those who are fans of the the movie "Airplane" will get it, but:
    "What's your vector, Victor?". And stop calling me Shirley!!! But, I digress . . .

My reply to you that we should agree to disagree was actually my polite way of saying I really don't care to rehash this subject anymore. I appreciate the fact that you are a new member and therefore you would like to continue the discussions and express your fresh pov. That's all well and good and in this forum is perfectly acceptable. My "agree to disagree" statement was my way of saying that for me, personally, I've got a "been there -- done that -- sort of attitude about the subject and I don't care to debate it anymore. But I welcome you to the board and I look forward to hearing your differing point of view!