Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I no longer am happy with my favorite band

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Why I no longer am happy with my favorite band

Welcome to The Border, Vector!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Henley Honey View Post
    I don't agree with you at all, Vector. The band is a business -- just like a bakery is a business. Just because their "product" strikes a place in your soul rather than your stomach, doesn't mean it isn't first and foremost a business.

Frey & Henley as equal managing partners started the business with a shared vision. Each brought individual strengths and weaknesses to the partnership and between them had sufficient drive and determination to make it happen and reach their goals. If a business is to be successfully maintained or substantially increased, then change is inevitable. If their relationships with Glyn Johns, Geffen, Bernie and Felder were not in the best interest of the business as they saw it, then things needed to be changed.

Felder might have been the greatest guitar player on the planet, but if you are trying to run a successful business and you have an employee whose behavior on a day-to-day basis is derisive and contrary, then things need to be changed.

IMO, Glenn was and continues to be the driving force behind the band. He has fought to maintain his and Henley's original vision. I don't see him as the primary antagonist. I see him as a smart and savvy businessman who has also proved himself as an extraordinary musician, composer and arranger.

As far as their "political leanings" I'm glad that they are not complacent in this area. I'm glad that they are concerned about the world that they and their children live in. If their higher profile gives them greater influence to bring about change and they use that influence when and how they choose, then good for them.

Just my opinion.

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawManNJ View Post
    Vector...

Your post was going sooooo well until you decided to bad mouth Democrats (Liberals). As if any politician is real trustworthy or as is Republicans or any political party isn't in the pockets of Lobbyists and you and I are that last thing on their minds. Too bad you had to add that. At least us liberals tend to be against invading other countries and killing their people for no good reason. Republicans seem to think thats A O K. Not to mentions spending trillions on these bogus wars that later Republicans want to save on important things like Health insurance for Americans or rebuilding our infrastructure. Republicans hate thinking about spending on Health Insurance for all Americans...and rebuilding our old infrastructure...If Democrats suggest that we are "spenders". But as soon as a Republican President decides to spend Billions a week on killing people overseas you gusy have no problem with that.

Yeah, Republicans make so much sense.

yup! I was quite offended at the "liberal Kook" label, but being new, didn't want to really address the politics. I LOVE that my Eagles are Democrats and very active in trying to make the world a better place!

Quote Originally Posted by Henley Honey View Post
    I don't agree with you at all, Vector. The band is a business -- just like a bakery is a business. Just because their "product" strikes a place in your soul rather than your stomach, doesn't mean it isn't first and foremost a business.

Frey & Henley as equal managing partners started the business with a shared vision. Each brought individual strengths and weaknesses to the partnership and between them had sufficient drive and determination to make it happen and reach their goals. If a business is to be successfully maintained or substantially increased, then change is inevitable. If their relationships with Glyn Johns, Geffen, Bernie and Felder were not in the best interest of the business as they saw it, then things needed to be changed.

Felder might have been the greatest guitar player on the planet, but if you are trying to run a successful business and you have an employee whose behavior on a day-to-day basis is derisive and contrary, then things need to be changed.

IMO, Glenn was and continues to be the driving force behind the band. He has fought to maintain his and Henley's original vision. I don't see him as the primary antagonist. I see him as a smart and savvy businessman who has also proved himself as an extraordinary musician, composer and arranger.

As far as their "political leanings" I'm glad that they are not complacent in this area. I'm glad that they are concerned about the world that they and their children live in. If their higher profile gives them greater influence to bring about change and they use that influence when and how they choose, then good for them.

Just my opinion.

I will have to disagree with this. As you say, this is a "business", but when they formed this band, there was an "equal partnership" between them. Randy, Don Felder & Bernie were not "Hired Help" here. There were legal contracts drawn up between them, which included financial & decision making in the band, so to say that Frey & Henley were equally managing partners is not really correct.
    Their relationships with all of them including Johns, & Geffen contributed hugely to their success. They wouldn't be where they are today if not for the contributions of all of these other people. Once again, the Eagles are a band, not just Frey & Henley.

Felder wasn't even an original Eagle. He didn't join until the 3rd album. He is disgruntled and comes off as a whiner and he just needs to "get over it"

I'm just about to head off to dinner, but will return later tonight to catch up on some replies.

In the mean time I just want to touch on the political aspect a few have objected to. First when I said "liberal kooks", I was not referring to (D's) in general, nor anyone here.
    Rather I specifically mentioned Jerry Brown (aka Gov Moonbeam) and Sen Alan Cranston. Both of them were mentioed in the book/doc and were on the fringes of the political left.
    As I've mentioned, while I personally lean right, I've voted for (D's) and will continue to, if they are the right person for the position.

While this discussion might involve a little political comment as it pertains to the Eagles(in both the doc/books), I'd prefer not to get mired down in partisan debate.

So let's just discuss the merits or lack thereof of what you think about my research/view, and how it compares with yours.

`

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

First of all, I neglected to welcome you in my first post, Vector, so let me officially say “welcome” now.

I want clarify that I am an old hat Eagles fan and have been discussing the acrimony in the band in varying degrees since Felder was fired, so, personally, I really have grown tired of the whole thing. However, I realize that this isn’t all about me, and I understand that fans still find it worth talking about. So, I didn’t mean to sound chastising about it, but, at the same time, I don’t have much else to add to the discussion aside from giving my opinion if I think something is being unfairly represented.

Vector, you believe that less information makes you more objective. I happen to believe if you don’t have all the facts in a situation, then there is no way that you are able to judge the situation in an unbiased manner. So, that includes all of us here, since none of us are in that position. But, the more information and perspectives that you do have enables you to judge a situation more objectively. Unfortunately, some of the information that is available about the band can’t all be found on the internet. In particular, I’m referring to articles and interviews that were given throughout the band’s history. Soda acquired lots and lots of them and used to have them posted on the online sites. However, she took them down due to potential copyright issues, but I read virtually all of them, in addition to every known published book. I’m sure that there are even more out there that I haven’t read, but for me, the more I read, the more insight I have gotten about the band. I don’t mean to sound like I know it all, but, for me, more is better.

As far as the information about the lawsuit, there is a lot of information about it in Felder’s Heaven and Hell book thread. There are lots of opinions in that thread, but there is also a lot of factual information as well, particularly about the details of what is publicly known about the lawsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Vector
    Yet by his demand and insistence he and Henley get more money as he put it, he started off on the wrong foot, and ultimately sowed the seeds of discontent when they started anew.
    With regard to this comment, I get the impression that most fans who feel Felder was treated unfairly feel the same as you do. Folks are certainly entitled to that opinion, but there are many others who believe it was absolutely fair. As Glenn said in the documentary, Joe and Timothy were also okay with it, but Felder was not. However, he did sign the contract and, to me, should have been at peace with his decision upon doing so. By continuously complaining many years after agreeing to the terms, the other viewpoint is that Felder sowed the seeds of discontent. I happen to believe that the contract was just part of the problem, and all of the events leading up to Felder’s firing are more complex. But, again, I have already explained my view on this many other times, so I am going to leave it at that.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by sad-cafe View Post
    Felder wasn't even an original Eagle. He didn't join until the 3rd album.
    This is a band where the original lineup was NOT the best lineup IMO, nor the most successful. I'll leave it at that.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

My stance on this is that I could not care less about the business side of this band. The Felder thing happened - yeah, it was badly handled and all that, but the past is behind us. As long as these guys keep making music, I'm good. I do have specific feelings about how Frey and Henley handled the situation.... but that's all I'm going to say about that, I think. I could go so much more in depth with this, but I have AP Chemistry homework and honestly, arguing with people on the Internet - even if they have well thought out, respectful opinions and arguements - is a waste of my time.
    ~ Tori
    https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/downloads/images/henley24.jpg

Border Desperado AstraeaLunaAvani's Avatar

Welcome, Vector! Sorry i'm a few days late in replying, I don't get online often.

I found it quite interesting that this documentary made you like the band less, where it made me like them more! In fact I became obsessed immediately as I watched it, and before this I was only a casual fan who only liked maybe 3 or 4 songs! Interesting how this documentary has affected people differently!

I do agree with most of what you said though, and that probably makes no sense given what my previous paragraph said, but even though I love a band, I can still see the flaws and love them anyway. For me, it's more about the music than the politics or the business aspect. Honestly, I pay very little attention to that when I get into a band. I wish music didn't have to involve business. Music is art, it's creative expression. Which is pretty much the opposite of what a business is. So sad they have to go hand in hand in order for a band to make it big.