Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: computers

Default computers

I need a new computer...can't decide whether to get another desktop or go just to a laptop...some people are telling me to wait and just get a "tablet" because they're the future...very confused now...any thoughts from Border friends...

Default Re: computers

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    I need a new computer...can't decide whether to get another desktop or go just to a laptop...some people are telling me to wait and just get a "tablet" because they're the future...very confused now...any thoughts from Border friends...
    My first question would be do you prefer Apple or PC? And what do you generally do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Windeagle View Post
    My first question would be do you prefer Apple or PC? And what do you generally do with it?
    I have never used an Apple...as for what I do with it...just personal stuff I guess...thinking of going back to school...would need it for that...

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I prefer laptops. So easy to port around to wherever you need to be. I would think especially for school that this would be handy. My kids both have Apple laptops for school and rave about them. I've never had one so wouldn't know. I'm pretty happy with my Compaq.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Border Troubadour prayfordaylight's Avatar

I have a PC laptop (which isn't very portable - 17" and very heavy) and an iPad. It's a very good working combo for me. The laptop does things the iPad is not capable of but when traveling, I usually only need the iPad for the basics.
    -Ali

You can see the stars and still not see the light.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I have a Mac desk top and would never have another one! I mean never! Not to say it hasn't been a good one, because it has, but I'm always running in to places that it isn't compatible. Some sites don't work with a mac. Maybe it's because I just don't know how to work it, but I've tried my hardest!

If I ever get to get a new one it will be a microsoft based laptop.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Default Re: computer

I've got a laptop (Compaq/HP) desktop and a laptop (Toshiba) and use them interchangably depending on what I'm doing. IMO it isn't so much about hardware as software...I can transfer from one to the other without a problem. I've considered getting a tablet because they really a very portable and easy to take along but I've tried the one my aunt has and wasn't exactly 'over the moon' with it.

While my laptop works fine, I'd never get another Toshiba but that's just me. Best advise I can throw out there is to go out and check out your different options until you find something you really like.
    You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

You already have a desktop, so it's possible that buying a new one, you only need to replace the CPU, and keep the mouse, keyboard, and display you already have, which is the cheapest option you have. So cheap, in fact, that for the price of a good laptop, you might be able to get a good CPU AND a tablet.

For myself, software geek that I am, I go crazy without one of my laptops. Since I went straight to Glenn's concert at Town Hall from Penn Station, I didn't take my laptop with me and it's literally the first time I've traveled without a laptop in about ten years. I use Lenovo (formerly IBM) only because they are more ruggedized than other brands and can handle the travel. I have to use PC-based machines due to the work that I do. As for tablets, I've found they are not user friendly when it comes to typing anything. Games and reading are fine, but if you want to type out a long email (or concert review!) it's very frustrating. I can honestly say after buying a new Droid Razr phone (big display yet very thin), I don't really see the need for a tablet at all anymore.

So...like others have said, it depends on what you want it for on what's best for you.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Like P4D I have a 17" HP laptop at home. It is too cumbersome to travel so I usually just bring my iPad. I don't think you could use a tablet without having a computer as well. I have a little net book at work which stays there, and I only do school related stuff on it. That's because it's predecessor was stolen from a secure staff room last year.

I'm interested in what you say about macs Brooke, since I had it in mind for my next upgrade. Now you are making me think.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Write down a list of things you'd like to use it for and anything that you particularly want or that bugs you, & take it with you when you look at your options. I personally will only consider a full-size keyboard - I'm a touch typist and can't cope with being slowed down by piddly little keys.

Also think about what functionality you have on your cellphone and/or whether you are likely to be upgrading that. I have just got a new phone (the Galaxy SII - which has since been superseded, but I'm happy with my model), and I'm gobsmacked by what they can do now.

There are very lightweight, powerful laptops available now that are way more portable than they used to be (my 6 year old laptop is VERY heavy), and probably have higher specs than your existing desktop.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne