Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cass County Reviews

Banned

Default Cass County Reviews

NPR Stream: http://www.npr.org/2015/09/17/440361...ey-cass-county

Don Henley's Cass County site: http://www.donhenley.com/news/254273

Well I certainly had misgivings about Cass County, judging, not only by the preview tracks but also by all Henley's output since the Eagles HFO reunion, 20 years ago. I most definitely wasn't looking forward to a country music album.

Honestly, I'm stunned by how much I like it. This is Don, growing as an artist for the first time since The End Of The Innocence. I think he may have even outgrown the Eagles. That, the whole is more than the sum of it's parts, nonsense doesn't cut it any more. Cass County is easily better than Long Road Out Of Eden. The songs are stronger, the covers, better chosen and the special guests give it a communal feel that seemed to evade the last Eagles effort.

I listened to Tift Merrit's Bramble Rose when I heard Don was going to cover it. I was underwhelmed. Performing it as a triplet or trio has turned it into a classic. I've already listened to it countless times.

The Cost Of Living is destined to be another favourite. Great song with two great vocal performances.

Don's not as convincing on the up tempo numbers but No, Thank You. It has a great Henley lyrics "Like a drunkard in the night, swinging left and swinging right" paints a great image.

One thing I was not expecting was a rerun of mid 70s Eagles glories. Waiting Tables is as close to Lying Eyes as anything anyone's released since.

Take A Picture Of This has a hint of Busy Being Fabulous about it. I like the little drum hook and the bridge but Henley's vocal tone, I'm not not so enamoured with.

Too Far Gone is a slow, piano blues waltz, with a rich helping of melancholic pedal-steel guitar, beautifully played and sung.

That Old Flame has got a bit of tempo and an almost, rock guitar accompanying the girl/boy, man/woman lead vocals.

The Brand New Tennessee Waltz is actually a pretty, old-school, mandolin, country fiddle tune.

Words Can Break Your Heart also harks back to Busy Being Fabulous and has a pleasing chorus.

When I Stop Dreaming is also an old school country vocal duet. Don and Dolly pull it off nicely.

Praying For Rain's has attractive lyrics. It has a strong eco friendly message without the lecturing tone that marred the last Eagles album.

Too Much Pride is one of the songs that I'm not fond of. Don may be able to sing the phone book but Ray Charles, honky-tonk, piano country is not to my taste, no matter who's singing it.

She Sang Hymns Out Of Tune reminds me, in content and tone, of The Beatles Norwegian Wood. Very different to Henley's usual stuff. I'm surprised it's only a bonus track. It'sdefinitely one of my favourites.

Train In The Distance is such an evocative title. Paul Simon did it justice in the 80s. I'm pleased to say that Don's TITD comfortably matches it. It helps to have the sound of a train in the distance on the track too.

Younger Man is already a firm favourite. Musically it's an easier on the ear Damn It Rose. I remember hearing Glenn introducing The Girl From Yesterday with the tag line "Destined to be a country classic". That's how I'd describe YM.

Can the same guy that knows "You're looking for a Younger Man" really convince us that he's completely happy Where I Am Now. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I may not like Country music any more than I did but Cass County reminds me how much of a Don Henley fan I was in the 80s.

Many congratulations to Henley, Lynch and the rest of the crew for a wonderful new album.
    Last edited by Funk 50; 09-18-2015 at 06:08 PM.

Out on the Border

Default Re: Cass County Reviews

My favorite songs are "Waiting Tables","Cost of living"and"No,thank you"
    The style of the album is very close to the eagle early

Border Troubadour

In the main I agree with your review, Funk, Younger Man is standing out for me at the moment and I detected a touch of Damn it Rose when I heard it first. I really like the Buck Owens' style No, thank you cos I can hear Vince Gill there and recognise his guitar playing. I'll have to have a really good listen to the rest but I think my overall favourite remains Train in the Distance, there's something very poignant about it and I find the melody stays in my head which is a good sign. I'm looking forward to listening to the vinyl version and really revelling in all things Don
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

I just watched him on cbs this morning
    He strikes me as a man at peace and proud of this cd

And to quote hh

"I could listen to this man sing the phone book"
    He has so much exoression in his voice comung from his soul.
    What I have heard I love
    i cant wait for friday

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Okay – Here are a few of my ‘first impression’ thoughts about the album. Since I’m not a huge country music fan, I can’t honestly say I’m totally enamored with the album, even though I like most of the songs well enough. Don does sound fantastic on most of the songs and I’m sure I’ll change my mind about some of these songs after repeated listens. For those of you who are familiar with my tastes, it should come as no surprise that most of my early favorites are all of the uptempo tunes – That Old Flame, She Sang Hymns Out of Tune, Where Am I Now, and No, Thank You, which may be my favorite on the album at this point. I also like Words Can Break My Heart and Brand New Tennessee Waltz a lot. My least favorites at this stage are Too Much Pride and Younger Man. Has anyone else noticed the similarity in the music between That Old Flame and They’re Not Here, They’re Not Coming?

I can see how a few of these songs may become country hits, but none of these songs jump out and scream ‘country classic’ to me. I remember the first time I heard Long Road Out of Eden, there were three or four songs that I immediately fell in love with, but that was not my experience here. BUT, this is Don’s moment so I really prefer not to diverge this into a discussion about his ‘other’ band. I personally think it’s a tall order and seems really unfair to Don to compare his solo work with them. Same goes for the other band members (or most all other artists for that matter) – equaling the Eagles' accomplishments would be nearly impossible, so, AFAIC, any comparisons are fruitless and take the focus away from where it belongs, which is Cass County. JMHO

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I'm not that much of a country fan but I like Cass County. I haven't really listened to it as I want to have the CD and listen to it properly but so far, I absolutely LOVE Bramble Rose!! And I like the way Mick sounds on it and the harmonica ....it sounds like a rambling cowboy tune - love it!! I would love to know what the story is with Mick and the recording of this song - Don side-stepped the question nicely on the 92 street Y conversation yesterday

My other favourite is Waiting Tables- the emotion and passion he shows when he sings...so good!! To me, it feels like an extension of Waiting in the Weeds.

I agree with F50 though, on Too Much Pride - I don't like it. It doesn't suit Don's style at all and it definitely takes over from WISD as the worst song on CC!!

The rockier type songs aren't bad either so CC is looking good

ETA: I also got a touch of Damn it Rose, when I listened to Younger Man(Love this BTW!!) (and I'd also have him, no matter what age he was !! )
    Last edited by L101; 09-21-2015 at 05:45 PM.
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

I think it's a really well-crafted album. I'm going to listen to it some more before going into detail, though.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I'm going to wait until a few more listens to write a full review, but after 2 listens tonight, my favorites are: Train in the Distance, Praying for Rain, Where I Am Now, No, Thank You, Cost of Living, and Too Much Pride.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Out on the Border

Guys is the album worth it? I'm 18 and this will be the first album I'll ever buy. I've been waiting a long time for it.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by Yolobots View Post
    Guys is the album worth it? I'm 18 and this will be the first album I'll ever buy. I've been waiting a long time for it.
    In my opinion, it's definitely worth it(although, I've yet to purchase the album). Don sounds great, as does the music. Out of the 16 songs on the "deluxe" version, there's only 2 or 3 that I'm on the fence on. Hopefully, they will grow on me.

And Welcome to The Border!
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time