Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It Don't Matter To The Sun

Border Rebel

Default Re: It Don't Matter To The Sun

Quote Originally Posted by DivineDon View Post
    Ok I'm going to be controversial here and say outright that I actually don't think Stevie adds anything to this. Don sounds amazing and should have sung the whole thing - it's almost like she's an 'add on' (forgive me Soda) just there for the sake of it.
    I have only ever heard the live version before and love this song.
    Don doesn't need anyone to make this great Hear come those tears is a perfect example of what I mean - great harmony but he sings it so well!
    I agree entirely with the Nicks duet. She's only used at the end and when her voice came in, I was found it to be totally jarring. I'm not sure if it's where it is in the overall mix or the way it was recorded, but, to me, she sounded different than usual. When they sing together at the end, the harmonies were fine, but on her own, it was disturbing, for lack of a better word. And I like Stevie Nicks a whole lot so I was disappointed.

Don sings "Here Comes Those Tears" great, but I'm not thrilled with the arrangement. The acoustic guitar that drives it early on feels like it's going too fast. I think Jackson's version will always be the definitive one, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by scottside View Post
    I agree entirely with the Nicks duet. She's only used at the end and when her voice came in, I was found it to be totally jarring. I'm not sure if it's where it is in the overall mix or the way it was recorded, but, to me, she sounded different than usual. When they sing together at the end, the harmonies were fine, but on her own, it was disturbing, for lack of a better word. I was disappointed.
    I have to agree. You have been able to put into words my impression when I 1st heard the song. I was looking forward to hearing it as I am very moved by the way he sings it in the video posted on YouTube. I was disappointed too. Soda, please don't give me the

I might be sent to the "naughty corner" but I really didn't like the duet with Stevie. To my untrained ears she distracted from the song.

I loved Here Come Those Tears.

Younger Man is my favorite song but I am still waiting for my cd to arrive!

Just got an email that my cd was just shipped....

Well, I have to say that I, predictably, completely disagree! Stevie's voice is incredible and, as usual, she sounds fantastic with Don.

She adds so much that I can only wish that she had been used more. Why save her 'til the very end and then give her so little to do? Quite under-utilized!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I like Stevie on the song even though she sounds a bit different than normal... I like the way she just comes in at the end of the song, a bit like two people telling a mutual story.....it works for me

But I am getting a bit OBSESSED with 'Here come those tears again' !! So much so, that I have to use my headphones for fear my neighbour will come in and break my laptop I love everything about that song -the way Don sounds, the tempo, the arrangement, the guitars. I much prefer this one to Jacksons original version. I have to stop listening to it now otherwise my head will explode!!
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

dcinga and F50, thanks so much for posting links to these songs!

I really like them both but think YDMTTS isn't a country song, so maybe that's why it's on the 'super deluxe' version. I do wish Stevie would have had more of a part and think she sounds great.

I agree with ss that I like Jackson's version of HCTTA better, but Don sounds fine. I usually like the originals best and since I love JB too, I think his is best.

Still bummed these aren't on the cd I purchased! My own stupidity though! I hope I can download them from itunes someday!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Thanks for the link dcinga great song.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

As far as It Don't Matter to the Sun - Don's choice to add Stevie right at the end of the song seems like an odd choice and suddenly turning the song into a duet doesn't work that well for me. It does feel like an afterthought - 'OMG - I need to find something for my girl Stevie to sing'! I think Stevie sounds fine, but I wished he had used her on one of the other tracks and left this as a solo. It may have worked better if he had brought her in earlier similar to way Martina was used in That Old Flame.

I've always loved Here Come Those Tears Again and I think Don does a good job with it; however, I have to admit I also prefer Jackson's original rockier version. I'm with Brooke in that, more often than not, I like original versions best.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I have been and still am a big fan of Stevie Nicks and Fleetwood Mac, as well as, a bigger fan of Don Henley and Eagles. That being said, I don't enjoy Stevie on "It Don't Matter to the Sun". I was driving down a dark(not desert) highway, late at night listening to the just purchased Target CD, and I was lulled by Henley's smooth, sand-papery voice. Then Stevie's voice came on, and it was so abrupt that I honestly jerked the steering wheel in surprise. I agree with the word choice of a previous poster...It was jarring.
    "Leave me be, I'm just walkin' this line!"