Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when they were shopping around for guitarists

Out on the Border

Default when they were shopping around for guitarists

in late 1973 and late 1975 - how come they didn't look for Krieger? I mean he was another LA-based musician and had nothing else to do at that point as JM had already died.
    Last edited by alreadygone; 05-19-2016 at 12:05 AM.

Default Re: when they were shopping around for guitarists

I think they went with Joe because 1 - Irving was Joe's manager and he had guested with them on shows before and 2 - the Eagles needed some critical rock energy. Energy that would propel them to their next era.

With Walsh and Felder onboard, they went on to make their best record in most people's eyes - Hotel California. I cannot imagine Bernie Leadon on that record or The Long Run for that matter. And Bernie was upset that the band was getting to be too rock n' roll on One Of These Nights and probably even On The Border. So it was time to make a change and thank god, they did.

With Joe they knew they were getting a guy who can peel paint of the walls of the arena with his loud rambunctious rock guitar playing. And they liked his rough image for their country rock outfit. They gave him a chainsaw to destroy hotel rooms with. They encouraged it because they so badly wanted to be seen as a rock n' roll group, not just a smooth country/country rock vocal band. Joe helped them achieve that image and alongside Felder, they tore that country right out and barged ahead with some great guitar-oriented classic rock on HC and TLR.

Best decision they ever made IMO. It served them greatly. Sorry Bernie fans lol.

Obviously, this is my take on it but I feel they made the right choice. But then I'm a rock and roller not a smooth california country guy, so I'm naturally going to want it to RAWK! \m/

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

From what I've read, when they hired Felder they were looking for a particular rocky sound as described in the post above. And, they got it.

With Walsh, I'm sure his status as a songwriter and singer was important as well. Same for Tim. They didn't want just a musician, they wanted someone who could do much more than that.

With Krieger, assuming that this is Robby, he was an important part of the Doors songwriting partnership, but he isn't really a lead vocalist. Quickly sampling his solo albums reveals music that doesn't appear to be a good match for The Eagles to me in style or content.

Compare Joe's "So What" album. There are songs on there that could slot straight onto an Eagles album. Particularly since Eagles backing vocals are already on it
    Last edited by Annoying Twit; 05-19-2016 at 07:45 AM.

Banned

I believe Joe's, The Smoker You Drink The Player You Get album was played to the Eagles as a sample of a Bill Szymczyk production. The Eagles also worked closely with Joe on Dan Fogelberg's, Souvenir album, which Joe produced. It showed that Joe was capable of a lot more than loud, guitar rock music.

Felder was recruited after playing a session for the On The Border album. Joe has said that he worked with the Eagles during the On The Border sessions too. It wouldn't be a surprise to learn that other guitarists, such as Fogelberg, were also in the studio while the band recorded the album. Once they went with Felder, the other guitarists wouldn't get a mention.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Given your username, you'll be very familiar with Joe's output.

Just from "The Smoker..." There are tracks like 'Day Dream (Prayer)', 'Dreams' and 'Wolf' that show that Walsh is capable of far more than just rock tracks. (Dreams alternates styles in different parts of the song, so despite the rocky chorus does demonstrate versatility I think.) So, once The Eagles heard that album they'd already be aware of Joe's versatility. And of course with So What and other collaborative work, they would have had full knowledge. Interesting that Joe's first lead vocal on an Eagles album was a ballad.

I think it's useful to know that for Joe and Tim, the working relationship was really till death do us part. Whether by design or luck, Don H & Glenn definitely did find new band members they could work with. Clearly Don F didn't work out in the end, but they did work together for decades on and off.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Robby is a brilliant guitarist, but not your typical "rawk" guitarist. He was playing world music before the term was invented, and his playing has classical, jazz and flamenco influences.

So, an amazing musician but not the first person on your list when you're looking for someone to take your band in a harder rock direction.

I love Robby Krieger - one of my favorite guitarists. He could play many styles, and wish he had done more flamenco stuff... I love the Eastern influences that you can hear on "The End"

You're right, he's playing sitar-like sounds in The End.

I'm a longtime Doors nut - since I was 14. Robby shook my hand at a gig a few years ago; I walked around that day feeling 10 feet tall.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    You're right, he's playing sitar-like sounds in The End.

I'm a longtime Doors nut - since I was 14. Robby shook my hand at a gig a few years ago; I walked around that day feeling 10 feet tall.
    How interesting! How did that come about? I started playing drums at 11, but didn't listen to The Doors until I was 13 - changed my life, as it became a starting point for everything else, and not just music..

I saw The Door (no Morrison or Densmore), and when they came back for the encore "Soul Kitchen", everyone stormed the stage, so me and a friend did. Someone passed Robby a j, who passed it to another guy, who passed it to my friend, who passed it to me

I saw them in the Ray-Robby-guy from Fuel (Brett Scallions) incarnation called Riders on the Storm. They were playing at an Autism Speaks benefit and the crowd was really small, I felt so bad for them. Ray's face fell when he saw the paltry turnout. The event was not well promoted.

But these guys are pros and played a full set with spirit. The upside to being at such a small gig was that there was a lot of interaction. Ray was talking back and forth with people, asking them what they wanted to hear and (in one case) what they were on. I was right in front of Robby. He threw a guitar pick to me and I was so startled I stepped back (cringe) and someone else grabbed the pick. After the encore, Robby shook many people's hands in the front row, including a thrilled moi.

The Doors also changed my life when I was a youngster, much to the chagrin of my parents and school authorities.
    Last edited by NightMistBlue; 05-20-2016 at 09:44 AM.