Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: were the eagles a boy band?

Default Re: were the eagles a boy band?

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Boy bands have very clean cut images. Kiss do not.
    Yeah in that department theyre not but they did wear makeup and play characters, no one ever saw them out of their kabuki alter egos. but there's a strong case in other respects such as the intense marketing and general focus on image which was so at odds with rock bands from that era. The biggest reason they cant be defined as boy band is because aside form Beth, there songs were'nt romantic or about anything other than sex, drugs and alcohol which definitely doesn't work in a boy band role of being positive role models
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Stuck on the Border

Of course, Glenn Frey was in a German boy band:

That's Glenn Frey, front left, according to the caption.
    Actually, watch a video of Touché and try to imagine any configuration of the Eagles doing the same. I can't.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3IxoF3OK3M

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by OntheBorder74 View Post
    Yeah in that department theyre not but they did wear makeup and play characters, no one ever saw them out of their kabuki alter egos. but there's a strong case in other respects such as the intense marketing and general focus on image which was so at odds with rock bands from that era. The biggest reason they cant be defined as boy band is because aside form Beth, there songs were'nt romantic or about anything other than sex, drugs and alcohol which definitely doesn't work in a boy band role of being positive role models
    While I would certainly not describe Kiss as a boy band myself, I tend to agree with you about how different their attitude was from many of their contemporaries. I remember reading about how Rush - who are about as un-boy band like as you can get (and they have a heavily male skewed fanbase) - went on tour with Kiss in their early years and quickly realised that their ideas of what they wanted to achieve with their music were completely different, as Rush weren't interested in creating a brand like Kiss were. That doesn't necessarily mean that either approach was right or wrong, but most I think rockers tend to sympathise more with Rush's views.

Out on the Border

on a side note, what about Ambrosia? Did they write there own stuff? I sort of consider them kind of boy-band like.