Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: were the eagles a boy band?

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: were the eagles a boy band?

When I think of boy bands, I think of bands who don't play their own instruments, usually don't write their own songs, and are very young. Their songs are fun, upbeat pop songs with no substance to them. Their music doesn't transcend generations, like the Eagles' music has. (There's several of us here who weren't born when the Eagles broke up or when they reunited, myself included.) A boy band's target audience is preteen girls. The Eagles audience consists of both sexes and there is no age limit or requirement.

No, the Eagles aren't a boy band.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by alreadygone View Post
    weird, I thought I was the only under-50 person on here. I'm 25 and my parents are 56-57.
    We have a poll for the ages of the people here. There's more of us under 50 than there is over 50.

Here's the poll: https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=6358
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I have to agree that the Eagles are not and never were a boy band. Here's Wikipedia's definition of a boy band, which is falls right in line with what several of you have already posted ...

"A boy band (or boyband) is loosely defined as a vocal group consisting of young male singers, usually in their teenage years or in their twenties at the time of formation, singing love songs marketed towards young females. Being vocal groups, most boy band members do not play musical instruments, either in recording sessions or on stage, making the term something of a misnomer. However, exceptions do exist. Many boy bands dance as well as sing, usually giving highly choreographed performances."

And here their list of boy bands over the decades, which I agree with for the most part ...

1960s:The Jackson 5, The Osmonds, The Monkees (although I would also include The Four Seasons, and many of the 60's Motown groups)
    1970s & 1980s: Menudo, New Edition, and New Kids on the Block
    1990s: Boyz II Men, Take That, Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, and Westlife
    2000s: Backstreet Boys, Westlife, Jonas Brothers and F4
    2010s: NKOTBSB, One Direction, Big Time Rush and comebacks of 1990s-early 2000s boy bands

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_band

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

All I can say is I'd like to be there to see the guys' faces when someone calls them a boy band!! It would be epic...

Border Desperado SilverAcidRayne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    All I can say is I'd like to be there to see the guys' faces when someone calls them a boy band!! It would be epic...
    YES. god bless Glenn but he would pitch an absolute fit lmfao

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

LOL That would be both epic and scary. I really feel whoever calls them a "boy band" must be the same type of people who just don't like them to begin with. I've heard from a lot of people my parents age and my own not like the Eagles because they were "too country" and not "hard rock" enough for them, or my guess in this case since they had a ton of teenage female fans in the 70s.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    Oh, my goodness. I would love to be a fly on the wall and hear what Don has to say about that. He can be quite poetic when he's at his most scathing!
    Last edited by maryc2130; 05-08-2016 at 09:50 PM.

Yeah, I'm thinking.... not so much a boy band. lol

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    "A boy band (or boyband) is loosely defined as a vocal group consisting of young male singers, usually in their teenage years or in their twenties at the time of formation, singing love songs marketed towards young females. Being vocal groups, most boy band members do not play musical instruments, either in recording sessions or on stage, making the term something of a misnomer. However, exceptions do exist. Many boy bands dance as well as sing, usually giving highly choreographed performances."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_band
    The Eages were known for their harmonies, so they were sort of a vocal group. They were young when the band was formed (one of them even had the nickname Teen King). They sang love songs, and songs like Lyin' Eyes were definitely marketed towards young females. Most boy band members do not play musical instruments, either in recording sessions or on stage. However, exceptions do exist, and the Eagles may have been one of them. Glenn danced on some tours during All She Wants To Do Is Dance. Yes, the Eagles probably was a boyband and I've never realized that!

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Chaim, I do kind of agree about the vocals. As a fan of the Backstreet Boys I do know they sing wonderfully acapella and acoustic, and they do play their own instruments now for some songs. They didn't originally under the old manager/record label because they had to maintain that 90s boy band image, but now that they are all older, in more control, and dads it's changed (all five are back together and on tour). I know their harmonies, as well as N'SYNC's, was another reason I was a fan. I could be wrong but I think one of them covered "Seven Bridges Road" in concert before as for some reason I remember it happening. I know my Mom liked them too for their harmonies and I do remember her pointing out about how the Eagles kind of mastered that first, as well as the Beatles.

But I still wouldn't call the Eagles or groups like them a boy band but I can kind of see those similarities and since they were teen idols too. But again boy bands as we know them and the term didn't exist till the late 80s, so it's more of just people's opinion if groups from the 50s, 60s, and 70s were or not.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."