Page 273 of 301 FirstFirst ... 173223263269270271272273274275276277283 ... LastLast
Results 2,721 to 2,730 of 3010

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press (2006 - 2017)

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    JD dated Stevie Nicks? It seems that an awful lot of people have dated Stevie Nicks.
    She's a vestal virgin compared to JD though. He's "dated" legions of women, untold numbers.

I'm not quite sure if it's the right thread for this post but I couldn't find a more suitable one.

Anyway ... Last week, I have watched a quiz show on television and one question referred to the Eagles:

"Where is the 'Hotel California' in the Eagles' same-titled song located?"

a) In the woods
    b) By the sea
    c) In the desert
    d) In the mountains

And guess what, nobody knew the answer. Very sad that those people try to know everything about the modern "music" instead of realizing how wonderful and meaningful the real music is. I mean, everybody who has listened to the song intensively for at least one time remembers that first line ...
    "Your prison is walking through this world all alone ..."

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anna-M. View Post
    I'm not quite sure if it's the right thread for this post but I couldn't find a more suitable one.

Anyway ... Last week, I have watched a quiz show on television and one question referred to the Eagles:

a) In the woods
    b) By the sea
    c) In the desert
    d) In the mountains

And guess what, nobody knew the answer. Very sad that those people try to know everything about the modern "music" instead of realizing how wonderful and meaningful the real music is. I mean, everybody who has listened to the song intensively for at least one time remembers that first line ...
    It's an interesting observation. I often watch quiz shows (Eggheads anyone), and it's often interesting to see people struggling on questions that I find trivial. But then I struggle on questions that others will find easy. E.g. for the quiz show 'pointless' (which is where contestants have to find the most obscure answers to questions) when they said "Name a song on the Police album Outlandos d'Amour (spelling)" I could only think of Roxanne and So Lonely, the two worst answers to the question, even though I have the album. Memory: you are a fickle thing.

Stuck on the Border

I'd have struggled with the Hotel California question because I think of LA as being on the West Coast rather than the desert (I've only been to the airport). (I also really suck at Pointless - if I can think of it, it's usually at around 80%)

Stuck on the Border

There's a magazine in the UK called "History of Rock" with each issue covering one year "from the archives of NME and Melody Maker" (two of the weekly music papers of the time). The current issue is 1975 and is the first to list "Eagles" on the cover. What it has inside are two articles from 1975. The first is from Melody Maker and is by Chris Charlesworth and the second is from NME by Steve Clarke. I didn't buy because I'd already read the MM article and the NME seemed to be more about the poor music journalist being given the run-around by a band who'd taken against the NME review of "One of These Nights".

This is the Melody Maker article: http://justbackdated.blogspot.co.uk/...s-in-1975.html
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 05-30-2016 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Squirrel, you're a fine writer. I always enjoy reading your work. And looking at your avatar for lingering moments...

The Eagles had excellent taste in bass players, no debating that point.
    Thanks, NMB!

Agree with you on bass players too.

SS
    xx
    http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2016...-band-for.html

Quote Originally Posted by Anna-M. View Post

a) In the woods
    b) By the sea
    c) In the desert
    d) In the mountains

We have a show called University Challenge here and sometimes the teams are asked questions on popular music. They failed to recognise the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac but do recognise derivative acts like Arctic Monkeys!

SS
    xx
    http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2016...-band-for.html

Border Desperado

Thanks for the link to the MM article, UtW. Glenn's description of playing in England is interesting.
    “What I like about playing in England,” said Frey as we drew to a close, “is the attentiveness of the audience. In America we tend to play to very boisterous crowds, but in England they sit and listen and I just thrive on that."
    I've never attended a concert in England. Does this characterization still hold true today?

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Very interesting - I don't think I'd ever heard of the (American) Indian benefit and jam with Neil Young.

What's this about Best of My Love being "Frey's song" with a little help from JD Souther though Somebody got their wires crossed, no?

Border Desperado

There was mention of an Indian benefit in this RS article. Not sure if it's the same one.

http://www.theuncool.com/journalism/rs284-neil-young/

I also caught that bit about Best of My Love. The odd thing is that it seems to be a quote from Glenn about working with JD over the phone. Maybe Don wrote the lyrics and Glenn is talking about writing the music?