Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Eagles Studio Albums

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Favorite Eagles Studio Albums

Reviving this thread because I noticed in a link that SS posted in another thread about Joe's new tour that if you scroll down, there is a list of worst to best Eagles albums.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/bad-c...letter_4572276

This isn't quite the same as favorites, but it comes close to how many of us ranked our favorites here. They rank the albums worst to best as follows:

7. Eagles
    6. Long Road Out of Eden
    5. The Long Run
    4. On the Border
    3. One of Nights
    2. Deperado
    1. Hotel California

This isn't too bad of a ranking, but I would personally have to bump Long Road Out of Eden up a notch or two.

In any event, bumping this thread up may be an opportunity for some of our newer members to weigh in here.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

My personal ranking:

7. Eagles
    6. On the Border
    5. Long Road Out of Eden
    4. The Long Run
    3. Desperado
    2. One of These Nights
    1. Hotel California

It was hard for me to rate and rank these albums because all 7 are at least 4 star quality. Eagles us my least favorite because the non hit songs aren't as good as the rest, IMO. Hotel California is their most consistent album. There's not a bad song on it. The rating of the other 5 albums can change from day to day.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

As I'm not yet totally familiar with 'Eden' and am still absorbing the Hockey Sticks album, my ratings won't be as complete as some of the others. Having said all that...

7. Desperado
    6. Eagles
    5. Eagles Live
    4. Hotel California
    3. On the Border
    2. The Long Run
    1. One of These Nights
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

I just recently downloaded Eden. It keeps getting better.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Late Here

1. Hotel California
    2. One of these Nights
    3. On the Border
    4. Eagles
    5. Desperado
    6. Long Road out of Eden
    7. The Long Run

I think that the albums are consistent, and hence it looks (e.g.) as if LROOE is way down, but something has to go down near the end. TLR is patchy, IMHO.

So here is my current ranking as well. But I'm sure there will be some minor changes with time ...

1. One of These Nights
    2. Hotel California
    3. Eagles
    4. Long Road Out of Eden
    5. Desperado
    6. On the Border
    7. The Long Run
    "Your prison is walking through this world all alone ..."

Banned

I've thought about this and, to be honest, I've stopped listening to the studio albums. I still peruse the artwork but I'll probably be listening to an mp3 playlist which will contain a sprinkling of Eagles and solo Eagles tracks amongst many other artists.

I've no emotional attachment to any of the studio albums. The subsequent hits CDs, particularly The Complete Greatest Hits and Selected Works, adequately represent the Eagles catalog imho, making the 70s albums dispensable.

Hotel California is still worth an exclusive listen and, as all it's tracks don't appear anywhere else, Long Road Out Of Eden still gets a, more than occasional spin but, self chosen playlists are the present, if not the future in my opinion.

Favorite Eagles Studio Albums

1 Hotel California
    2 Long Road Out Of Eden

I can't figure out why people are still buying Their Greatest Hits (1971–1975), it's hardly a comprehensive collection and I thought the packaging was lousy and how come there are so few "Greatest Hits" and" Best Of"albums in the list of top selling records of all time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...selling_albums

Sorry... i'm wandering off topic

I can't remember if I already did this, but I'm going to do it again.

My favorite to least favorite:
    1. Hotel California
    2. Long Road Out of Eden
    3. The Long Run
    4. On The Border
    5. Desperado
    6. One Of These Nights
    7. Eagles

From best to worst:

1. Hell Freezes Over
    2. Hotel California
    3. One of These Nights
    4. On the Border
    5. Long Road Out of Eden
    6. The Long Run
    7. Desperado
    8. Eagles

Some may argue that HFO isn't technically a studio album, but I thought it deserved a mention for new material after the "14-year vacation."
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Just wanted to post my list now. I have been meaning to do this for ages, but I really wanted to be as thorough as possible so I wanted to leave it until I had time to really think about it. It was a real labour of love by forum post standards! I've ranked the seven studio albums with my thoughts on each one. I don't think I've ever overtly posted a list anywhere else until now.

1) Hotel California - This is my overall favourite, and stands as one of my all-time favourite albums. Every song is great, and there are several classics. Side one is a tour de force – there is little original I can say about the superlative title track, except that it stands as a simply magnificent achievement and every second is incredibly memorable. The same can be said for the two tracks that follow, the stunning New Kid In Town and Life in The Fast Lane. The former offers Glenn’s finest vocal, the latter band’s best guitar riff, although of course there is a lot more than that to both. It then ends strongly with Wasted Time, one of Don’s greatest ballads. However, I also think side two is incredibly strong. Victim Of Love is a fantastic track – it ingeniously marries a hard, edgy guitar riff to a melodic chorus, the solos absolutely rock and Don delivers a vocal to match – while I love Pretty Maids All In A Row and Try And Love Again, both wonderful songs that are often overlooked. While it is true that Henley, Walsh and Felder are the most prominent personalities on the album, I think the latter song does quite a lot to redress the balance, with Meisner’s final vocal on I would arguably perhaps his finest song and Glenn’s excellent guitar work. However, my true personal favourite is The Last Resort. I love everything about this song, especially the lyrics where Don outdoes himself, but I think the arrangement is masterful with Felder’s pedal steel standing out in particular. In short, very few albums are as special to me as this one.

2) Desperado - This album is a close second favourite for me. As much as I love HC, there are days when I think I love this album slightly more! I love how thematically cohesive the album is, and how the tracks segue into one another and how the story of the Doolin-Dalton gang is weaved into the songs, often quite subtly. All four band members provide great songs and the quality is consistently very high. In particular, I feel the band raised its songwriting game quite considerably compared to the previous album. I think it was a great album for Bernie – he contributes two strong songs (especially Bitter Creek) and he plays not only electric and acoustic guitar but also the banjo, dobro and mandolin. I love all three parts of the Doolin-Dalton and Desperado trilogy equally, although I think the Reprise is exceptional, featuring some of their best vocals and lyrics. The wonderfully hungover feeling Tequila Sunrise is another classic. Add these together with the youthful optimism of Twenty One, the tough rockers Out Of Control and Outlaw Man, the classic storytelling of Certain Kind Of Fool, the evocative Saturday Night and the brooding Bitter Creek and it makes for a whole that is even greater than the sum of its individual parts. It is a terrific album for listening from beginning to end, but all of the songs are memorable on their own.

3) On The Border - A very strong and consistent album, I think this is generally underrated and seldom gets the credit it deserves outside this forum. I really like all of the songs, but my three big favourites here are Already Gone, My Man and Good Day In Hell. I feel there is a stylistic shift on this album compared to its predecessors, with an increased emphasis on rock and less of a country influence. This is perhaps most clear on Is It True and You Never Cry Like A Lover, as both ballads benefit from bold, memorable guitar work. All of the rockers are great, with AG and GDIH being joined by the infectious energy of James Dean and the quirky R&B influenced title track. Midnight Flyer is great fun and is very good musically – I love not only Bernie’s banjo, but also Randy’s bass playing and Glenn’s slide guitar, while Ol’ 55 is beautiful, with a killer combination of harmony vocals, pedal steel and piano. Tom Waits might not be a great fan of it, but they really did make the song their own. This leaves The Best Of My Love, another beautiful song. I think it has a different feel from the rest of the songs, which really works as it captures the sense of exhaustion central to the song, especially after the raucous GDIH. I absolutely love the overall feel and sound of the record, I think it really jumps out of the speakers. In my opinion, Glenn is the real star of this album, as he is prominent on virtually every track, although all the band members shine on these songs, including Don Felder, who contributed to two of my three favourites. I also love the artwork from this era, which suited this era’s music and attitude perfectly.

4) The Long Run - A couple of years ago, I would have ranked this album last, however it has grown on me immensely and I now consider it to be an excellent record. I think critics make too much of what could be called the ‘Terrible Trio’ of The Disco Stangler, Teenage Jail and Greeks. I personally don’t consider any of these songs to be terrible, and in fact, I really like the darkly melodramatic Jail, while Greeks is a fun good-time rocker. I can definitely see why Disco Strangler annoys people, it is very negative and sounds ‘wonky’ but I think it’s creatively sound and . Regardless of this, I feel the remaining seven tracks make up an extremely strong core. I find there is little to choose between these songs, and my favourites do tend to vary, although I think there is a case for saying that the two strongest songs are the ballads, the beautiful I Can’t Tell You Why and The Sad Café, more poignant now than ever. By this stage the Eagles were very much a rock band, and the guitar work (mostly by Felder and Walsh) is consistently great throughout – special mention must go to Those Shoes with its amazing and unique double talk box guitars, although they certainly shine on In The City and King Of Hollywood too. The Long Run is a very strong all-round song, and then there is the storming Heartache Tonight – more great guitars and a simply outstanding rock vocal by Glenn. I only wish most ‘disappointing’ albums had as much strength in depth as this one!

5) Eagles - I get the sense that I am one of the bigger fans of this album on here. I think it’s partly because I am a huge fan of the big three hits – Take It Easy is quite possibly my favourite Eagles song based solely on the enjoyment I get from it, while Witchy Woman and Peaceful Easy Feeling are also great tracks. Where I think I differ from some people is that I really enjoy the deeper songs on this album too. From this group, I have two main favourites – one is Train Leaves Here This Morning, which I consider to be a country rock classic, and the powerful, brooding Take The Devil. The remaining tracks are less strong, hence why this album is placed behind The Long Run (which I feel is more consistently strong), but I feel are still good songs. I always enjoy Earlybird, Chug All Night and Tryin’ – while they are not very lyrically deep, I think they have great vocals and music – and Most Of Us Are Sad is lovely. The only song that I’m a bit ‘meh’ about is Nightingale, which I find likeable enough but doesn’t grab me. I think this is a very good mix of rock and country/bluegrass styles across this album and the end result is a very satisfying listen.

6) Long Road Out Of Eden - In some ways, it would have been quite easy for me to place this album last, as by the time I first heard it I was already very familiar with the others. However, I feel is far too strong to place last! The quality of this record was in itself pleasant surprise, as was how it continued to grow on me. I will admit there are a few songs I could live without – I’m not saying they are bad, but I’m not that wild about I Don’t Want To Hear Any More, and What Do I Do With My Heart doesn’t particularly appeal to me. I also have mixed feelings about Fast Company, and although I quite like I Love To Watch A Woman Dance, I think it would have been better as a Glenn solo track. However, the rest is strong, and compares well to most other records I’ve heard by artists at that age. My four favourite songs are the timeless How Long, the rocking Somebody and the masterpieces Waiting In The Weeds and the title track, and all of these rank up there with the best songs on the 1970s albums. However, these are joined by a number of other high quality songs – Busy Being Fabulous, Do Something, You Are Not Alone, Frail Grasp On The Big Picture, Last Good Time In Town, Business As Usual and Centre Of The Universe, and I like everything else too. Overall, I love disc two in particular, but there is a lot of strong material on the first disc too. I am extremely glad that Glenn got his way and it was released as a double album, as I think there are more than enough strong songs to justify it.

7) One Of These Nights - I place this album last, but this mainly because something has to come last. I will start with the positives here, as there is much I want to praise about it! For starters, I cannot fault Don and Glenn’s songwriting on this album. The title track is brilliant, and is in my opinion the ultimate fusion of hard and soft rock styles. The two other hits, Lyin’ Eyes and Take It To The Limit, are also classics and outstanding vocal showcases, and I think After The Thrill Is Gone is up to the same high standard. Hollywood Waltz, although not a big favourite, is also a good, solid song. I really like Too Many Hands, which is very underrated, as is Journey of the Sorcerer, which is unique and features great musicianship. So in truth the reason why this album comes last is down to the remaining two songs. Visions is okay, and I kind of enjoy it, but it comes across as a somewhat generic rocker, and I don’t feel is quite up to Eagles standards. I have to be in a certain mood to enjoy I Wish You Peace – I find it listenable, and it does have a sweet sentiment, but it doesn’t do much for me, and occasionally I do stop listening to the album after ATTIG. My other main criticisms are that I feel the strength of the album is more dependent on the hit songs than any of the other records, and although the wide variety of musical styles is commendable (and it is unique in having five different lead singers), I don’t think it holds together quite as well as an album and tends to feel like a ‘collection of songs’, especially compared to Desperado. Having said this, this album is still very definitely in my good books – there are no stinkers by any means and I don’t listen to it significantly less than the others. As I said, something has to come last!

As with AG95 and Annoying Twit, I agree that the Eagles have a very strong set of studio albums - I wouldn't give any of their albums less than 4/5 or equivalent. I have yet to find another band where I have listened to all of their albums and can still honestly say this.