Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New songs or old?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: New songs or old?

I don't see many concerts but I'm trying not to be too restrictive. My biggest problem is finding someone to go with me.

When I saw the Eagles for the first time two years, it didn't matter what they played. I was familiar with all their material, new and old and it was the first time I'd heard any of it live. It was such a thrill to be there with three of the original members on stage. However, hearing the same setlist (and scripted introductions) 18 months later wasn't quite so thrilling. A little variation would have suited me but probably not for the majority of the audience who were seeing the HotE show for the first time. I don't really mind if the variation comes from deeper in the back catalogue, new songs or even covers, but I don't want to hear their solo material.

I used to be sniffy about tribute bands but after seeing a couple, I think they can be good fun. Good musicians playing good songs in a small venue and cheap tickets. There's not that thrill of seeing the real thing but you can see how it's put together in a way you can't in an arena.

My favorite concert this year was Andy Fairweather Low and the Lowriders. It was a long show with a mix of hits, old songs, new songs and covers. The hits (only 6 or 7) were welcome for their familiarity and the audience sang along, but noone got restless through the rest of the show. It's a 4-piece band made up of top sidemen and session musicians, fronted by a man who was a teen idol in the sixties before becoming a sideman. It was a joy to see such good musicians playing in a small venue.

I'm dismissive of Don Felder's current show because it doesn't seem to play to his strengths. I'd want to hear him play the kind of music he didn't have a chance to with the Eagles, not singing "Peaceful Easy Feeling".

I left Timothy out of my earlier post so I'll just say that I'd like to see his solo show. I may not know the songs, but I like his style and I'd probably end up buying the CD on the way out.

Banned

Watching the Eagles 1977 live dvd you can't help noticing how young the audience is. At the time it would have been a regular rock audience. Nowadays Eagles ticket prices mean they play to a different demographic. This site shows that they have picked up new fans over the decades but the overwhelming majority of the audience are still over 50.

I thought, that's just the way it is, until I watched this Genesis documentary, Genesis - When In Rome - Come Rain Or Shine, a week or so ago.

About the 1 hour 44 minute mark the camera focusses on the audience as the band perform The Carpet Crawl, a ballad from 1974, in a stadium during inclement weather.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9FuWw8ZuDo

It's quite moving to see the, surprisingly young audience, absolutely in the moment.

I suppose a good set list is like a satisfying 3-course meal, a carefully balanced selection of different ingredients, cooked expertly, served diligently and a hearty appetite helps enormously.

Stuck on the Border

It's not just ticket prices. Young people - or their parents - pay high prices to see One Direction, Justin Timberland, Katy Perry et al. And even with low ticket prices, you don't get many young people at some venues. Similarly, I'd be too self-concious to go to the venues where the local young talent plays.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I'm one that is in favor of what Don is doing with Cass County. Good for him! I think if it's advertised that they are promoting a new album then they should play some of the songs from it. He's said in interviews that he needed new songs to sing. Who can blame him if he's tired of doing Eagles songs!

I was very disappointed with the LROOE tour when they dropped most of the new songs from that album.

Of course, I still want to hear the hits, but sprinkle in the new songs to go with the current album. If they tell you up front what they are doing, then you don't waste your money.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Watching the Eagles 1977 live dvd you can't help noticing how young the audience is. At the time it would have been a regular rock audience. Nowadays Eagles ticket prices mean they play to a different demographic. This site shows that they have picked up new fans over the decades but the overwhelming majority of the audience are still over 50.

I thought, that's just the way it is, until I watched this Genesis documentary, Genesis - When In Rome - Come Rain Or Shine, a week or so ago.

About the 1 hour 44 minute mark the camera focusses on the audience as the band perform The Carpet Crawl, a ballad from 1974, in a stadium during inclement weather.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9FuWw8ZuDo

It's quite moving to see the, surprisingly young audience, absolutely in the moment.

I suppose a good set list is like a satisfying 3-course meal, a carefully balanced selection of different ingredients, cooked expertly, served diligently and a hearty appetite helps enormously.
    Genesis were a special case in that they had two distinct eras. The vitriol spouted by some so-called Gabriel era fans at the Collins era distresses me nowadays almost as much as the Felder apologists' stuff. Both ereas were great. Both eras prodcued great music. Genesis did not end when Gabriel left. Genesis did reinvent themselves & it's a shame that so many people never accepted it.

This is the point; how can artists ever develop if thier fan base refuse to let them? This seems to be what has happened with the Eagles. What they should have done after firing Felder was release an album within the next year & it would have proclaimed who they were. Instead they started touring again with old material & all that did was provide ammunition for the 'they're nothing without Felder' crowd. By the time they did release LROOE it was too late - especially as they didn't take the chance to make Joe the sole lead guitarist (Steuart Smith has too much influence on Henley; discuss). So now they've retreated, just become a 'jukebox' again, and I for one think it's wrong. And now it seems to me so does Henley; and I suspect he may want out.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    This is the point; how can artists ever develop if thier fan base refuse to let them? This seems to be what has happened with the Eagles.
    Great point, Freypower. I think Eagles have become disenchanted with the process of making Eagles albums. The last few Eagles have been traumatic in their creation. Hopefully they've found a method that will lead to the sudden release of a new Eagles album.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire
    It's not just ticket prices. Young people - or their parents - pay high prices to see One Direction, Justin Timberland, Katy Perry et al. And even with low ticket prices, you don't get many young people at some venues. Similarly, I'd be too self-concious to go to the venues where the local young talent plays.
    I agree with the self-concious aspect UndertheWire. Eagles don't seem interested in attracting a more diverse audience, they are doing quite nicely indulging the one they've got although I don't think old songs necessarily lead to an old audience.

Old and new songs is actually a cloudy concept. Is Glenn's After Hours album new because he released it in 2012 or old because the songs are relatively ancient?

Bands don't treat tracks on a Greatest hits albums as new but I reckon fans discover most music through Greatest Hits collections. The age and origin of a song will be completely different for the artist and the listener.

I for one am happy that Don is not playing any Eagles songs on his current tour!! If he is promoting a new album, then he should be playing some of the new songs interspersed with his old hits. I wish that he would play some more of his older songs though - maybe with wishful thinking WHEN he plays Europe next year ( ) he'll have changed the set list a bit.

I'd love to see Joe Walsh live but doubt he'll play this side of the pond any time soon.

I did see the LROOE tour, but can't remember any of it - so I was disappointed when they completely ignored it for the HOTE tour. If they resume touring, I'd like to see a HOTE 2 tour, obviously with some of the regular hits, but with more from LROOE and other older songs that didn't make the cut for HOTE the first time.

So keep on playing Don - hope to see you next year
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post

Old and new songs is actually a cloudy concept. Is Glenn's After Hours album new because he released it in 2012 or old because the songs are relatively ancient?
    It's a new album, regardless of how old the songs are. It should be remembered that some of the CC songs were probably written several years ago too. But sadly, it wasn't received as being 'new' and so it didn't do well.

Stuck on the Border

Playing covers of old songs should be more accessible to concert-goers than playing new new songs. We know the tune and the words and so we pay attention to the interpretation and the performance. The problem with new new songs is that it's too much to take in at once and if there are too many, it get can get tiring for the listener.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Playing covers of old songs should be more accessible to concert-goers than playing new new songs. We know the tune and the words and so we pay attention to the interpretation and the performance. The problem with new new songs is that it's too much to take in at once and if there are too many, it get can get tiring for the listener.
    Pretty much.