Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Music Streaming - good or bad?

Default Re: Music Streaming - good or bad?

That article sure rains on Taylor's parade!

However, it's a strong analysis.

I'm SO glad UMG has made Don and Glenn's stuff available via YouTube, though. Welcome to the 21st century, guys!

I wonder if they've monetized content matching... if so, the take downs of the solo stuff should stop, at least. Instead, revenue will be received when the fanvid gets played through ads placed on it. I've done this before with songs by Fleetwood Mac, whose music is allowed to be used this way. I'll do a little experiment with a Glenn solo song and see if that's the case when I get a chance.

ETA: Nope. Fanvids are still verboten... or at least, the one I just uploaded that I made several years ago to the tune of "The Allnighter" didn't make it out of the gate. Instead, one of my YouTube accounts just got a terms of service violation. Sigh.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I'm not sure, I see tweets from people sharing both Don and Glenn's vids, mostly Don's. The vids themselves say:

Published on Nov 17, 2013
    Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for 'fair use' for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.
    It always makes me roll my eyes, like putting an entire video (not a portion of it) on a commercial, revenue generating website is 'fair use'. However, since The Boys of Summer video that I see the most has been on YouTube since November of 2013, the user probably thinks the disclaimer works.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Soda, do you mean fanvid as in a song with photos of the band/artist? I know that several of Don's and Glenn's solo music videos are on youtube(uploaded by regular users) and a lyric video for Don's Dirty Laundry.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

I think it's great those videos are on YouTube now.

I don't have a problem with YouTube and uploading concert videos or music to it. But I think a concert you listen with your eyes too. I know I do. That's why I get so bored when a concert is plain without some amount of visual entertainment as that's what separates it from just listening at home. I love the sights at concerts and that's hard to capture with audio.

That said, I still say no one is going to go "well I saw a smartphone video and now I don't need to go see them live". If anything as I've said in the past, it will encourage people. I know it does with modern music. People see how cool it is and want to experience it firsthand. So I definitely disagree with Henley & Co.

Whether or not people are watching the show through a screen is entirely their prerogative and shouldn't be stopped by the band or frowned upon. They paid the tickets, they can do whatever they want that is safe. If they want to put earbuds in and listen to Kanye on 11 with their head in their lap, that is their choice and who are they/we to say they can't or that it's wrong.

There was a picture someone made recently that showed the hands of crowds from the 60s to present.

The 60's was the \/ peace sign, the 70's was the \m/ hand sign, 80's was a polaroid camera, 90's was a digital camera, the 00's was a smartphone, and the 10's was a tablet. That is definitely the progression. I see nothing wrong with it, but I'm trying my best not to beat an old horse again. The only time I see it's a problem is that if you can't do it in a way that isn't affecting other's experience. Hence why tablets aren't practical but I see them all the time.

I'm one to not be a fan of modern music and it's production. But I think in terms of people connecting at concerts and about music in general and artists connecting with their fans, social media and mobile devices have been a godsend. You post a photo of you at a concert, bam everyone wishes they were there. You post that you are digging a certain song - your friends check it out and buy it. Or maybe you tweet a question to an artist and get an answer. These things are ultimately good for the music business IMO and social relationships in general IMO. Now if they'd just get back to non-computerized music. But that's not what this thread is about.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

As an AC/DC fan and daily Spotify user, this makes me very happyď

http://m.billboard.com/entry/view/id/131083
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    I remember when Glenn's songs first went on Spotify, I did the free version and signed in with Facebook. I had no idea that it posted to Facebook every song I listened to, my friends could see it in their NewsFeeds and I did not see it on mine. I was working from home and at about the second or third song, I got a phone call and hit 'mute', then forgot about it. Apparently it looped the entire day, filling my friends' NewsFeeds. The existing privacy at the time options meant people couldn't selectively remove Spotify from their NewsFeed. Of course, my friends all thought I was crazy for listening to Glenn for over six hours straight. One of them finally messaged me and asked how in love with the man I was! That was rather embarrassing, not to mention that I missed hearing Glenn for over six hours! I don't think I've been on Spotify since! I figure with the ads and what they pay, he probably made nearly 5 cents from me that day...
    I think you just made my day! I've always been very secretive about what I listen to (it comes from trying to avoid ridicule from elder siblings) so I'd hate that system.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I wouldn't like it either - my issue would be less likely to be which artists I was listening to but that I wouldn't want people to know that I'd played the same song three times over, or that I'd just listened to a song I was on record as not liking. I think also I just prefer privacy when it comes to these things.

You can turn off the updates to Facebook. Go to edit, the preferences, and find the "share my activity on Facebook" part and switch it off.
    -Kim-

VK

Ironic? In the week since Apple Music launched, Spotify has spent five consecutive days in the top 10 most downloaded apps list.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ic-s-home-turf
    VK