Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Phil Collins / Genesis

Banned

Default Re: Phil Collins / Genesis

Quote Originally Posted by chaim
    No one bought Tony's solo albums, and yet they were discussed in the documentary. Steve has said that he was interviewed about his solo career, and he spent time discussing it. Then it was all edited out. Personally I'm not saying that they should have covered all of Steve's albums, but they could at least have mentioned that he continued to make music after leaving Genesis! I can't say this for a fact, but I understand that Steve's solo career has been far more successful than Tony's. But they decided to ignore his solo career completely. Why did they interview Steve about his solo career then? I can understand Steve's anger. I would feel exactly the same.
    I understand that Tony was pretty forceful about getting his music included in genesis albums so it's no surprise that he pushed equally hard to get his solo work featured in a Genesis documentary. It doesn't make it any less forgettable.

I agree that Steve's prolific run of solo albums are worthy of a mention but arguably, like Felder, he wouldn't have a solo career with his association with the band. He hasn't the charisma to be a self made solo star.

I haven't given Tony's solo albums much of a listen despite loving his Genesis contributions. I'm much more familiar with Steve's solo stuff although, like Phil, I don't see Please Don't Touch as band quittingly great.

Stuck on the Border

I will be receiving Tony's box set A Chord Too Far for Christmas so I will report back on it. In the meantime I'd be interested to know which of Steve's albums is worth buying. We have his DVD/CD of Genesis Revisited. I need to look at this.

I am actually proud to say that we own some Anthony (sorry...Ant ) Phillips albums. So far I have listened to Tarka, Slow Dance (although he wrote this he doesn't play on it) & Wise After The Event.

I must mention that I was watching the bonus DVD of A Trick Of The Tail last night. They were doing Entangled with harmonies & 12 string guitar. They could have been Crosby, Stills & Nash.

I am getting 'in too deep' with all this but at the moment it seems somewhat justified.

Stuck on the Border

I have yet to start collecting Steve's albums. I have the same problem with Steve and Peter Hammill. They have some many solo albums that it's not easy to start collecting them when you don't have much money!

I haven't heard much of his stuff, so Funk 50 can give you suggestions there, but whenever I've heard his solo stuff I've liked it a lot. I only have his first album and one of his more recent ones. Here's one fantastic track from the latter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddF62zLejy0

And here's a demonstration of how tasty his electric guitar playing still is. I don't want to bash people in public, but IMO Hackett is miles above the other Steve (Howe), whom everyone raves about. IMO Hackett is better with the classical guitar too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_A6ThDYi4w

And one last example from the same album. Unless I'm mistaken, the crazy section in this song describes musically the random, rapid succession of stuff that you may experience when you're dreaming. Brilliant! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xdlzUbfGEQ

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I haven't heard much of his stuff, so Funk 50 can give you suggestions there
    Thanks for passing that buck chaim, I don't see myself as a Hackett aficionado but thanks to those YouTube clips I had a bit of a Hackett binge over the weekend. Very enjoyable it was too.

Believe it or not Steve's just released an album of new material, Wolflight plus a new 10 Disc retrospective of his early career titled Premonitions to add to your wish list.
    http://itsonlyrockandroll.info/?p=39640
    http://exystence.net/blog/2015/11/06...975-1983-2015/

I've heard a lot of Hackett stuff over the years, without being drawn in, I always preferred Genesis but since Genesis have dismantled, I've been much more interested in Hackett's material, first with the Genesis Revisited CD/DVD and then his subsequent albums.

I'd recommend that listeners find their own favourites. Out Of The Tunnel's Mouth is definitely mine but all his 2K albums are enjoyable to listen to;
    To Watch the Storms (2003)
    Metamorpheus (2005)
    Wild Orchids (2006)
    Out of the Tunnel's Mouth (2009)
    Beyond the Shrouded Horizon (2011)
    Wolflight (2015)
    as well as his Genesis revisits and tonne's of concert releases too.
    There's something about the dogs on the cover of Wolflight that has kept me away from it so far. I'm sure it'll be great too.

I was hoping that I'd be able to put together a Steve Hackett top ten tracks but I'm struggling to put tunes to titles, Steve's great at embellishments to complicate matters, plus I'm still discovering new gems.

I look forward to your assessment of Tony's A Chord Too Far box set Freypower. . I'll probably have my Hackett top ten by then.

Stuck on the Border

When I look at the song selection on A Chord Too Far, I like it for the most part. But IMO Tony's up-tempo songs aren't always that great, and I would definitely have replaced Back To Back (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty-hhMQPDLc) with Thursday The Twelfth (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHh3KUPzaq0) - one of his greatest solo songs IMO. But of course, an album must contain a certain number of up-tempo songs - great or not-so-great.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Thought that ya'll might like to know that Genesis was the answer to a Jeopardy question last night. The category was Ex-Files. The clue was "Peter Gabriel is the ex lead singer of this band".
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border

Out of nowhere I discovered last night that we have a DVD of Steve Hackett Live in Buenos Aires, and it's SIGNED. My husband would have ordered one with a signature like he does with Tony Carey & Mike Keneally. He does both Genesis & his own work. When I get time I will have a listen to his solo work. Meanwhile I am enjoying Abacab. I also cannot stop watching Home By The Sea from When In Rome. I then find I have to watch I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) from the same show. What a great song. Me, I'm a lawnmower. You can tell by the way I walk.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I also cannot stop watching Home By The Sea from When In Rome. I then find I have to watch I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) from the same show. What a great song. Me, I'm a lawnmower. You can tell by the way I walk.
    I totally agree about I Know What I Like, it's a fantastic song IMO. I think the thing I love most about is its very English eccentricity, although it also has very funny and creative lyrics and a killer chorus (I know what I like/and I like what I know). The lawnmower sound effects at the start and end are cool - I believe Tony created this sound using a Mellotron. I love the spoken word parts, and indeed a few weeks ago I took a photo of my watch on my arm reading 1 o'clock in front of my lunch in tribute to the song!

A couple of live videos of this song performed with Peter and Phil singing lead:

Live 1973 with Peter Gabriel
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_EYU75uhKk

Live from Seconds Out, 1977 with Phil Collins
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xse9tqC-Lu4

I enjoy both versions depending on mood. One thing I will add is that this song really does show how differently Peter and Phil approach being the frontman of the band - Peter is more concerned about fitting into a role or character on stage, Phil has more warmth and a more natural connection to the audience.

Stuck on the Border

Peter found the I Know What I Like chorus (composed by Tony) too poppy at the time. I don't know how he feels about it today.

Stuck on the Border

I would like to know how Peter feels about their work after he left in general. He said in the documentary people came up to him & congratulated him on A Trick Of The Tail...

I've been playing Abacab in the car. Love the title track & Man On The Corner - and Dodo/Lurker is weird. (Toni, I do like Me & Sarah Jane but not quite as much as the others I mentioned). I also just joined two Genesis/Phil groups on Facebook. I haven't joined the message board yet.

Regarding Peter this song from the Wall-E soundtrack is beautiful:

And he plays keyboards on it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQLTunr5nEw