Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New songs or old?

Banned

Default Re: New songs or old?

I did see the Eagles Long Road Out Of Eden show. I thought it was a great show but the 4 new songs that opened the show, 3 of them covers, were pretty lame compared to Song 5, Hotel California. It was almost like they were being their own support act.

I've seen Billy Joel twice. Really enjoyed the first show and the opening (new) song of the second show. After that I felt like I was watching a rerun. I haven't and wouldn't see him again.

The second time I saw Genesis, they dropped 3 of the top 5 tracks from the previous show but they were still top notch.

Two moments that I found memorably misplaced and probably affected my enjoyment of those shows, were firstly, Graham Nash telling us that the song they were about to play, was the first time that they'd performed it, live in 20 years. The concert, at which, he announced this was the first CSN show in the area for 30 years. I'd guess that, almost the entire audience were witnessing every song for the first time live.

Secondly, Eagles headlining the first night of a three day festival and Henley telling us that it's the last show of the Eagles European tour.

Two bands that have spent too long playing the same songs to the same audience.

Stuck on the Border

With Joel, he has a much bigger catalogue than the Eagles so he can dip into it more. I saw him first when The Bridge was new & then when Storm Front (my favourite of his albums) was new & I really enjoyed the songs he played from those albums but the last time was obviously just greatest hits. I still loved it; I did get to hear songs like Zanzibar & The Ballad Of Billy the Kid which I don't think I had seen him do before. So a show consisting entirely of old songs CAN work IF you have enough songs to fill it with. The Eagles do not, hence the reliance on solo songs after they reformed. HOTE didn't work because they pretended LROOE didn't exist & the rest of it as far as I was concerned had gone stale.

Bob Dylan; he wants you to hear his new songs. He plays those properly. He messes his old songs around so much that they are unrecognisable; and then there is what remains of his voice, which doesn't help. I won't ever see the man again, legend though he is. I really don't like being treated with contempt by anyone.

There was one tour which Elton John did for The Captain & the Kid, which is the follow up to Captain Fantastic, where he played a few songs from that album & I enjoyed them. I don't think any of them have been played since. Again he has a huge catalogue; but he was able to reach deep into his past & play songs from Madman Across The Water.

I like a mix. I think it's brave to do new songs - it shows you believe your new material is as good as your hits and it's something different than the same old, same old. However, you shouldn't ignore your catalog either. Songs shouldn't be retired after a few years as if they're no longer significant simply because they were released on an earlier album. The best songs are timeless and give people so much joy... it's a shame not to have that be a part of your show.

To put a number on it, I think at least 25% of the setlist should be new, but no more than 50%.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten