Thread: Copyright violations could enter new territory

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Copyright violations could enter new territory

Since our guys, and specifically Don, seem to be very proactive at protecting their copyrights, I thought most of us might find this interesting. It's an article about a recent lawsuit. The thrust of the article seems to be that besides the songs not being similar, the lack of detail on the judgment leaves a precedent of being able to copyright a "vibe".

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...rdict/?hpid=z4
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Copyright violations could enter new territory

This is so ridiculous. Songs resemble other songs all the time. Most of the time no one cares, but occasionally someone does - too much. In the past - before the oh so unique popular music we have today - composers quoted other composers all the time. For some bizarre reason in popular music people seem to think that their (or their loved one's) stuff is more unique than it is. Sometimes it gets so ridiculous that it's like "You stole my E minor - C major chord progression!!!"

Like the writer of that article, I don't hear where the similarity lies between these songs. I don't have any idea.

I guess Gaye's people should also sue Jeff Lynne, because ELO's Showdown resembles I Heard It Through The Grapevine a lot. Never mind little details like Marvin didn't write song and he wasn't the first to record it.

I guess Barry Gibb should sue Gaye's familiy, because Marvin (or whoever wrote it) stole the hook melody of "Got to give it up" from "You should be dancing" by the Bee Gees.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Guess I'm in the minority here, I thought Blurred Lines was a blatant rip of Got to Give It Up the moment I heard it. It sounds like they sampled the Gaye song, it's so similar.

And I don't understand the alarmist tone that the Post and other sources are taking. If George Harrison getting sued for My Sweet Lord didn't end creativity and musical progress, I don't think this case will do it either.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Guess I'm in the minority here, I thought Blurred Lines was a blatant rip of Got to Give It Up the moment I heard it. It sounds like they sampled the Gaye song, it's so similar.

And I don't understand the alarmist tone that the Post and other sources are taking. If George Harrison getting sued for My Sweet Lord didn't end creativity and musical progress, I don't think this case will do it either.
    I must listen to them again. I wasn't familiar with either song, but when I listened to both of them quickly (well, not all the way through), I didn't notice anything. Where do you hear the similarity? Bassline, chords? You can't copywright sounds as far as I know, so it has to be in the composition (or lyrics).

There must be something if different people hear it even when they haven't heard anyone else talk about it.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

For me, the similarity is in the bassline, groove and rhythm. It would not be surprising if there was actual sampling of the percussion instruments from the Gaye recording. That's just my take on it.

Border Desperado SilverAcidRayne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post

with me being a huge beatles fan also i did hear of the lawsuit about George supposedly ripping off the song "He's So Fine". i have to admit there are similarities but they were unintentional i think. Now Robin Thicke did sample a few of Marvin Gaye's songs and hopefully he got permission. this time around he probably didnt. typical lol