Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite MOMENTS In Songs??

Default Re: Your Favorite MOMENTS In Songs??

My favorite song lyric moment is in Ol' 55
    when Glenn sings; I'm Headed Home From Your Place..............I think he put his own lyric here, just as he had in Peaceful Easy Feeling when he sings "lay" and "sway".

The Ol' 55 just brings me back to a younger time, of heading home....

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Stuck on the Border

I knew we had a topic on favourite moments in Eagles songs.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...ead.php?t=4576

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
    I like the guitar solo in "You Never Cry...". The tone sounds like Felder? "Is it true?" (also a good song)
    I'm fairly sure Bernie plays the solo on YNCLAL - it definitely isn't Felder because it was one of only two tracks from the On The Border album that survived from the sessions they did in London with Glyn Johns before they replaced him with Szymczyk. It's probable that Glenn plays the piano on the song too. I asked Austin (WalshFan88) and he thinks the lead guitar was probably a Telecaster, which again suggests it was Bernie. It's in the Guitar Info thread in the Eagles section of the board. I agree in liking the solo a lot, and I think the song itself rocks. I love the dynamics, with the contrast between the quieter moments with the piano to the more intense guitar leads and then back again but with an added sense of resignation at the end. It fits the lyrics and mood of the song perfectly - the guitar solo in particular represents the sort of love the narrator longs for. I can understand why some women are a bit put off by the way he expressed his feelings, but I don't think Don and J.D. were being horrible about it, just disappointed. I can really feel and understand the emotion in the song even though I've never been in that exact situation myself.

The Dogs demo is interesting, but I'm definitely glad that David did the vocals on the first half of the song, which are certainly amongst his most powerful. By contrast, I think Roger's voice was perfect for Pigs (3DO) and Sheep - the lyrics on the former are exceptionally acerbic, even by Roger's standards, and too vitriolic to suit David, while I think David would have struggled to hit the high notes on latter that Roger reaches (I believe David wanted to play Sheep on the post-Waters Momentary Lapse tour, but they ultimately decided not to because he wouldn't have been able to sing it every night).

NMB, your comment about Led Zeppelin reminded me of another thing about Whole Lotta Love. I have long since suspected that my Mum's idea of musical hell would probably bear quite a resemblance to the mid-section with Robert's moaning and groaning and the theremin solo. I've never actually played it to her, but I know she'd hate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    I'm fairly sure Bernie plays the solo on YNCLAL - it definitely isn't Felder because it was one of only two tracks from the On The Border album that survived from the sessions they did in London with Glyn Johns before they replaced him with Szymczyk. It's probable that Glenn plays the piano on the song too. I asked Austin (WalshFan8 and he thinks the lead guitar was probably a Telecaster, which again suggests it was Bernie. It's in the Guitar Info thread in the Eagles section of the board. I agree in liking the solo a lot, and I think the song itself rocks. I love the dynamics, with the contrast between the quieter moments with the piano to the more intense guitar leads and then back again but with an added sense of resignation at the end. It fits the lyrics and mood of the song perfectly - the guitar solo in particular represents the sort of love the narrator longs for. I can understand why some women are a bit put off by the way he expressed his feelings, but I don't think Don and J.D. were being horrible about it, just disappointed. I can really feel and understand the emotion in the song even though I've never been in that exact situation myself.

The Dogs demo is interesting, but I'm definitely glad that David did the vocals on the first half of the song, which are certainly amongst his most powerful. By contrast, I think Roger's voice was perfect for Pigs (3DO) and Sheep - the lyrics on the former are exceptionally acerbic, even by Roger's standards, and too vitriolic to suit David, while I think David would have struggled to hit the high notes on latter that Roger reaches (I believe David wanted to play Sheep on the post-Waters Momentary Lapse tour, but they ultimately decided not to because he wouldn't have been able to sing it every night).

NMB, your comment about Led Zeppelin reminded me of another thing about Whole Lotta Love. I have long since suspected that my Mum's idea of musical hell would probably bear quite a resemblance to the mid-section with Robert's moaning and groaning and the theremin solo. I've never actually played it to her, but I know she'd hate it!
    I remember David saying he didn't feel he'd do the song justice without Roger's venom. I saw Roger play it on the Dark Side tours a few years ago.

I have to admit Robert's moaning annoys me.. I also wonder how Led Zeppelin would have sounded with Terry Reid, who I think is a better singer. "Seeds of Memory" is a very nice song.

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

Moody Blues edition...

The all string/woodwind section right at the end of "Tuesday Afternoon," as it is about to transition over to the 'Days of Future Past' hidden album track "Evening(Time to Get Away)," is so captivating and, in my head, is the sound of pure love.

The flute solo on "Nights in White Satin" is a very stunning, haunting musical piece.

Mike Pinder's Mellotron at the very end of "Legend of a Mind," where he is simulating the sound of an airplane taking off, is simply epic. No other way to put it.

The guitar work on the Justin Hayward/10cc collaboration "Blue Guitar" is the envy of any guitar player, especially that ascending, wailing climax towards the song's finish.
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Stuck on the Border

New Kid In Town: The bridge, which takes the song SO beautifully to the third verse in a different key

10cc - Don't Hang Up: When it goes back to the main piano pattern after the long "middle section". When Kevin sings the words "marriage on the rocks", that's an unbelievably beautiful moment. The combination of chords, sounds and melody.

Genesis - Mad Man Moon: After the middle section, when it goes back to the final verse. Again, unbelievably beautiful. Banks himself loves that bit, too.

I'll probably be adding stuff...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WS82Classics View Post
    The guitar work on the Justin Hayward/10cc collaboration "Blue Guitar" is the envy of any guitar player, especially that ascending, wailing climax towards the song's finish.
    Oh I didn't know they (Hayward & Lodge) collaborated with 10cc on that song, how interesting. I saw the Moodies in concert for the first time recently, they were excellent.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    One of my all time favorites is from my all time favorite Eagles song-the opening chords of Take It Easy. It never fails to bring a smile to my face.
    The opening chords are thrilling; you feel the hot summer wind blow back your hair. My singing teacher wants me to sing the song in a higher key, G is a bit low for me, but I just can't part with those intro chords (played on guitar, of course, I don't mean I try to sing them!). They don't sound the same transposed to other keys.

Simply Don Henley at his best, still don't see how he thinks this is the most hopeful song he has ever wrote but I just love this part:

And I've been waiting in the weeds
    Waiting for the dust to settle down along the
    Back roads running through the fields
    Lying on the outskirts of this lonesome town
    And I imagine sunlight in your hair
    You're at the county fair
    You're holding hands and laughing
    And now the ferris wheel has stopped
    You're swinging on the top
    Suspended there with him
    And he's the darling of the chic
    The flavor of the week is melting
    Down your pretty summer dress
    Baby, what a mess you're making

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WS82Classics View Post
    Moody Blues edition...

The all string/woodwind section right at the end of "Tuesday Afternoon," as it is about to transition over to the 'Days of Future Past' hidden album track "Evening(Time to Get Away)," is so captivating and, in my head, is the sound of pure love.

The flute solo on "Nights in White Satin" is a very stunning, haunting musical piece.

Mike Pinder's Mellotron at the very end of "Legend of a Mind," where he is simulating the sound of an airplane taking off, is simply epic. No other way to put it.

Now that you mentioned that song, I love Ray's flute bit somewhere in the middle.