Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Billy Joel

Default Billy Joel

Didn't see a thread for him, and he just announced an ongoing concert series at Madison Square Garden, sort of like an artist in residence. He's doing 7 shows so far starting in January, and then it seems he'll do a show once a month after that, as long as tickets sell for them! I hadn't thought about trying to get tickets, but if there's a fairly regular opportunity to see him, now I probably will!
    I am a little puzzled as to why he would agree to something like this, but I guess he gets to do a show regularly and keep himself fresh and interested, and the income as well.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Billy Joel

I was hoping the announcement was going to be that he was returning to the recording studio.

I am a huge fan who has seen him about five times including once with Elton John. When I have more time I will post a list of favourite songs & albums.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I did see that announcement, along with a show in Pittsburgh and Auburn Hill, MI. I haven't seen him in concert in a long time, but the ones I went to rank pretty high on my list of great concerts. I wish he'd announce some other shows.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I would have loved to see him when he closed out Shea Stadium, but tickets were gone in seconds. The documentary Last Play at Shea is also one that I could watch again and again.

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

Billy Joel is one of the greatest songwriters of our time. I have seen him once with Elton John, but I do plan on trying to get tickets for one of his shows at MSG or Barclays.

I really like this idea of him doing an open ended residency. The TV commercials are calling him the newest MSG Franchise. We already had our tickets to the April show when they announced this, and it was a tough ticket to get. I can see him selling out for quite a while.

He has said in some interviews that he'd like to do some full albums and deeper cuts in his shows, so maybe this is the opportunity to do that for a hometown audience.

I saw Elton John at MSG last week and they raised a banner to the rafters for him. 64 shows at the Garden: The most by a single artist. Maybe Billy is trying to break the record. He already has one banner up there. Maybe he'd like another

Stuck on the Border

My Top 10 Billy Joel songs are:

1. Allentown
    2. We Didn't Start The Fire
    3. Leningrad
    4. Say Goodbye To Hollywood
    5. Zanzibar
    6. It's Still Rock'n'Roll To Me
    7. I Go To Extremes
    8. Piano Man
    9. The Downeaster Alexa
    10. New York State Of Mind

You may be able to tell from this that my favourite album is Storm Front (four songs from it in that list) followed by The Nylon Curtain & The Bridge.

I LOVE Billy Joel. He really does have a staggering amount of high-quality music in his catalog. He definitely deserves his recent recognition!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I tried to get tickets for one of the shows. It was sold out in about 10 minutes.
    He said the reason he is doing this is because he wants to play but no longer wants to travel. He says he likes to just commute home after the show! I will hopefully get to one of these shows, but the first 4 are sold out. Unless I can score something on Stub Hub at a decent price, I will be waiting for one one of the upcoming shows. I had also seen him at the show with Elton with the dueling huge pianos on the stage....It was quite a sight & a wonderful show. I hear they are good friends. Perhaps Elton will join him for a show again.

I just saw Elton last week, & he did almost a 3 hour show with no break. He is still amazing!

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

He's coming to Louisville on Apr 6!!! I'm so excited! Gotta go, gotta go! A friend went to the New Years Eve concert at the Barclay Center in NYC and loved it. I went twice, once back in Pittsburgh at the igloo in about 1981 and then at the Capital Centre in DC in 1983 or 1984. Both were great shows. It's just a darn shame that I can't buy tickets on Ticketmaster at the office...
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.