Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Emerson, Lake and Palmer

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Emerson, Lake and Palmer

Digging this up as I've just been listening to Keith Emerson, Greg Lake and Carl Palmer with Redbeard. Good stuff. I probably get Carl's book when he publishes it.
    http://www.inthestudio.net/redbeards...mer-anthology/

Keith Emerson was one of my earliest crushes, so I'll concur with the "hot" comments.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

I don't know much about ELP. My relationship with prog is difficult. I very much like the idea, but I find that some prog has all the long songs and fancy arrangements, but I'm not sufficiently impressed by the composition. Genesis said that they got better at writing short songs. I wish there was an album that had the ambition of their earlier albums, with the melodies of their middle period. I greatly enjoy Peter Gabriel, so you'd think I'd like at least The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, but I haven't really taken to it. When I see mentions of prog bands I'm curious as I'd like to find more with really good melodies, e.g. as on Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here which has the extended pieces of music with interesting structure, but also great melodies.

No-waffle version: Which is the best ELP album to listen to first?

EDIT: Listening to Trilogy.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

If you ever get a chance to see Carl Palmer and his fierce young band play live, I encourage you to do so - they are virtuosos and very high energy. I was never an ELP fan, but became an admirer of Carl after seeing him play on a Yes cruise a few years ago where the Carl Palmer Band was a guest.

Saw them last month in Miami and they were brilliant, as usual. Carl said they were filming the concert and would have a DVD out next year or so. Steve Hackett of Genesis was a surprise guest. Someone's posted "Fanfare" from that show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otjyAotQeMs

A.T., I'm no authority on prog bands, but for my money - especially melodically and emotionally - they don't make them any better than Yes. Listen to "Awaken" off Going for the One, and prepare to have the top of your head come flying off. It's epic! Transcendent! And really quite good.

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

For the best album-selections of music, their 'Works' releases are a must.

As to long-form music pieces, this one from "Love Beach" is a pure classic. Totally under-rated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mADxjuklS6A
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I probably get Carl's book when he publishes it.
    Woah! Did not know he planned on a book. Damn good news, that.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    I
    Saw them last month in Miami and they were brilliant, as usual. Carl said they were filming the concert and would have a DVD out next year or so. Steve Hackett of Genesis was a surprise guest. Someone's posted "Fanfare" from that show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otjyAotQeMs
    Was that the tribute to Keith Emerson? Carl mentioned it in the interview and said Steve Hackett joined them. It's a good interview and, as always, I'm surprised at how articulate and smart some of these musicians are. He made the point that he's a player, not a "Rock Star" and for once, I believe him.

The interview did its job and I ordered the new "Anthology" box set. It seemed good value and I don't think I want the full catalogue.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 07-28-2016 at 04:29 PM.

Yes, it was a tribute to Keith Emerson. Carl spoke about him at some length during the show and one could tell he was still quite emotional about it.

I didn't know the cause of Mr. Emerson's death until I Googled his name the next day. How tragic and awful. I really knew almost next to nothing about the man other than he was considered a trailblazing keyboardist and showman.

Yeah, I think Carl has steered pretty clear from the Rock Star thing. He said he's never tried even a sip of beer (should we believe him?) and didn't do drugs. I got to meet him briefly on the cruise - I happened to be sitting on a couch with a lady who turned out to be his girlfriend, Katie. They are down-to-earth, very nice people.

P.S. Carl's daughter is a lawyer, maybe that's how he seems to know all the legal stuff about extricating from the EU - or is it common knowledge in the UK to know this?!
    Last edited by NightMistBlue; 07-28-2016 at 05:04 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    I don't know much about ELP. My relationship with prog is difficult. I very much like the idea, but I find that some prog has all the long songs and fancy arrangements, but I'm not sufficiently impressed by the composition. Genesis said that they got better at writing short songs. I wish there was an album that had the ambition of their earlier albums, with the melodies of their middle period. I greatly enjoy Peter Gabriel, so you'd think I'd like at least The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, but I haven't really taken to it. When I see mentions of prog bands I'm curious as I'd like to find more with really good melodies, e.g. as on Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here which has the extended pieces of music with interesting structure, but also great melodies.

No-waffle version: Which is the best ELP album to listen to first?

EDIT: Listening to Trilogy.

I am happy to discuss Genesis with you if you search for that thread.

I think the albums for you are A Trick Of The Tail & Abacab. But they are ALL ambitious yet melodic.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Thanks all. I have some albums to listen to today.

I have listened to all early Genesis albums, but don't remember in detaiil. I'll listen again.

For ELP: Trilogy, I enjoyed the more song-like songs like From The Beginning more. The Endless Enigma not quite so much. It's OK, but not really engaging. However, if I listen to it (and other prog) more that may help. Some music takes multiple listens to really appreciate.

There's a New Zealand Prog Band called Ragnarok that I like. However, it's difficult to recommend their album as there is one track that describes a 1970s overly-and-perhaps-even-a-bit-offensively-stereotyped flamboyant gay man: "Captain Fagg". It's a pity, as there is some lovely music on the album. I'll link to my favourite track of theirs, in case anyone would like to hear:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCN1FXUnFP4[/ame]
    Last edited by Annoying Twit; 07-29-2016 at 02:55 AM.

Mr. Palmer describes his family as middle class - in Britain, doesn't that mean quite well off? In the U.S., it just means ordinary - not poor and not rich. I believe Kate Middleton's family has been described in the British press as middle class, but by American standards they are downright wealthy.

A.T., thank you for the Ragnarok video. It's very good. I don't quite know what to make of it, but I shall listen again.