Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vocal moments that make you weak in the knees

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Okay - I know this is all subjective, and while I'm not sure that I can agree that Don has THE sexiest voice in the music industry, he definitely is in my top two or three.

He does have some incredibly HS&G lyrics, and his delivery of them can absolutely weaken the knees. I agree with almost all of the comments made in this thread with the exception of Miss Ghost. I know I'm probably in the minority here, but honestly, it doesn't do much for me. While some of the lyrics are sexy, I'm just not crazy about his voice in the song. I would much rather hear him use his LWE, EOTI, or Lilah voice in the song.

However, here are some of my knee weakening moments that haven't already been mentioned:

1. Long Way Home - especially the last part. I love how he draws out "long way home" - very definitely melt-worthy.

2. The End of the Innocence - "Just lay your head back on the ground, and let your hair spill all around me. Offer up your best defense, but this is the end, this is the end of the innocence". Needs no further explanation.

3. Heart of the Matter - Hey, I don't have to say it because Don did - "the flesh will get weak" when you hear this one!

4. You Don't Know Me at All - "I closed up the curtains, learned to confess. Baby, I knew better, but you were such a pretty mess. You took my breath away, now I want it back. Ah, you should’ve killed me, you always looked so good in black". Freakin' incredible!

5. Taking You Home - "And this love is like nothing I have ever known. Take my hand, love, I’m taking you home". Okay, Don I'm ready. Let's go!!!!!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Default Re: Vocal moments that make you weak in the knees

I was listening to "Last Worthless Evening" this morning, while I was driving around running errands, and when Don sings "Yeah, yeah, hey, hey" (or something to that effect), it just made me feel faint!
    Also, there's a part in "Weeds" that actually makes my heart skip a beat! After he sings, "I know I've fallen out of your good graces...it's all right now!" The "it's all right now" gets to me everytime.
    Also, in HFO, during "Heart of the Matter", just the way he pronounces "tenderness", really melts my heart.
    I just LOVE his voice!!

Well, I've already said in the Survivor game that the whole last verse where Glenn and Don do the "call and respond" split vocals really does it for me...it is one of the most exciting finishes to any song that I can think of! I realize that equal credit goes to Glenn as well as Don, but I think it still fits in this thread!

I've also said that one of my very faves is the county fair verse when Don changes key (as I previously learned from the more musically-savvy people on the Border). That whole effect---his voice, the lyrics--really caught my attention on that song, and made it my very fave on the album.

The other (besides many of the ones people have already mentioned) is pretty subtle, but I notice it every time. It's actually an audible exhale, rather than the air intake on OOTN. On Wasted Time, when he sings "Oh my God, you can't believe it's happening again," he exhales as he pauses after "God"--so that it's almost like he says "Godhhh." For some reason, I love that.

I love that climactic moment in Talking to the Moon....

"Never change.... never change at all.... [dramatic pause] I WAS JUST Talking to the Moon..."

Gives me chills!

ETA: I see this had already been mentioned by Katherine a while back... been so long since she posted it I'd forgotten!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Ooh, I love that moment in Talking to the Moon, too!

I am listening to Please Come Home for Christmas daily during the Christmas season, and today I also played Funky New Year. The first sound you hear at the very beginning of the song is Don groaning "Augggghh.." That groan just does me in.

I also melt a little at the end when he says all those little lines like "Nurse, I'm worse...I need to pick up a little," and "Whose shoes are these?" and then he kind of mutters huskily, "Never again."

There are far too many - most of which have already been listed, but off the top of my head:

Long Road Out Of Eden - all of it, but especially "the road to Damascus, the road to Mandalay", and the beginning. When he cuts in with "Moon shining..." it gives me shivers.

Every line of The Last Resort. This song will always be special to me, and I think Don's voice sounds so sweet - especially combined with the lyrics. Particular favourite bits are "she came from Providence", "can't wait to tell you all" and "they even brought a neon sign - 'Jesus is coming'". As a couple of people have already mentioned, the end notes are incredible too.

"Oh it's cold and lonely here..." from Long Way Home.

I completely agree with DF about Come Rain or Come Shine. When it changes to "You're gonna love me", that gets me too!

Don's live version of Too Far Gone kills me. "I know that somewhere there's someone you love more than me" and "I hate to say it, but you have the right to be free." When he sings "I've loved you SO much, so long" - his voice kind of cracks on the SO, and it sounds like it's filled with so much longing. Beautiful.

You Never Cry Like A Lover - "you can't get loose if there's too much light". (Um, I can!!)

King Of Hollywood is fun and sexy. "Yeah, we're gonna take care of you darlin'"

Desperado still gets me. The way he kind of draws out the first syllable of "senses" makes me swoon.

Finally, for now, Busy Being Fabulous. "Maybe some foolin' around." The way his voice drops at the end... Sigh.

Add me to the list of people who think Mr. Henley has THE sexiest voice in the world!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Out on the Border

Is it ok to fish out old threads?

Lately I've been listening to the 70's records and I noticed how sexy is Don's voice as well.
    I love also Glenn's voice but confronted to Don's it's sweet, smooth and soft.
    Someone in this board defined Don's voice "smoky, raspy, sexy". That's exactly my opinion too.

Quote Originally Posted by katherine5832 View Post
    One of These Nights – “We’re gonna find one - (breath intake) - Mmmmm, one that really screams.” (I love that little breath and the mmmmm part.)
    I have listened to this part in loop, it just gives me chills and it's so funny that Katherine mentions the same verse I love

Hotel California – “…she got the Mercedes bends…uuhh”
    “Such a lovely face” in the second “Welcome to the Hotel California…” refrain. (you read my mind, definitely)
    "The pink champagne on ice - she said" (I get crazy when his voice becomes even more raspy than it is)
    "We are programmed to receive" oh my! Pure manhood

Witchy Woman - All those high notes "ahhhhh" after the second repetition of the refrain.
    "Let me tell you, brother, she's been sleeping in the Devil's bed"

Life in the Fast Lane – “Are you with me so far?” The second, deeper “Everything, all the time.” Anytime he follows “Life in the fast lane” with a little “yeah” or “uh”
    (Okay, so I like when he moans and grunts in his songs. I can't understand why )

Wasted Time – “You just loved the boy too well.” (I love how he goes high on “loved.”) (me too)

The Last Resort – “And in the name of God” “Kiss it goodbye.” plus the end high notes

Boys of Summer – “Remember how I made you scream?” (Uh, no, but I can imagine…) well if you'd like to refresh my memory...
    Last edited by Meerstern; 12-05-2017 at 06:57 PM.

Don does have that sexy deep voice. I have to agree with the others when listing One of These Nights. I go weak in the knees every time I hear it for the little add-ons he does. It has to be my favorite song that he sings.
    "You only live forever in the lights you make....you only hear the music when your heart begins to break."

Though I love Don's voice I don't have a favorite weak in the knees moment. i do have a favorite song. Heart of the Matter.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Ditto on One of These Nights and Witchy Woman. I would add I Can’t Stand Still as having some sultry moments.

This doesn’t make me “weak in the knees” but I love how he sings these lines from Not Enough Love in the World:

I’m not easy live with
    I know that it’s true
    You’re no picnic either babe
    That’s one of the things I love about you

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...