Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd

Out on the Border tjrrockandrollmaster's Avatar

Default Pink Floyd

A band that has been in my life for as long as The Eagles. They are my favorite band of all time. I don't know what many of you think of the band but I'd like your opinions.

Pink Floyd (unlike many of their contemporaries) shunned the spotlight, kept out of the media, refused their mugshots anywhere on their albums yet were one of the biggest bands in the world and had concerts that revolutionized the rock spectacle (inflatable pigs and families, crashing planes and beds, walls being built and torn down), saw their work as albums NOT SINGLES and also a band feud that made The Eagles look like comedy. Also, Roger Waters had a reputation of stopping concerts at the height of Floyd's fame due to rowdy fans lighting fireworks and even spat on a fan.

Syd Barrett was the man who started it all (Piper at the Gates of Dawn, first three singles) but sadly lost his mind and once David Gilmour came in transitioned from psychedelic rock band to prog rock legends (A Saucerful of Secrets, More and Ummagumma). Their best work was when Roger Waters' lyrics and ideas and the musical contributions of David Gilmour (who also had the best singing voice in the band and is one of the greatest guitarists in rock) and Rick Wright (God rest his glorious soul and whose keyboards and harmony vocals helped make the classic Pink Floyd sound) were balanced (Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, Obscured by Clouds, The Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here). Once Animals rolled around, Waters became a power hungry madman who reduced Wright to a footnote and rejected his ideas and reduced Gilmour's musical ideas. The Wall was where Roger fired Wright (Rick, like Randy Meisner, was not a confrontational person) but Wright stayed as session man for The Wall shows but Gilmour helped make the album what it was (as well as Bob Ezrin). The Final Cut was a Waters solo album and replaced Nick Mason on the last track and Gilmour was nowhere to be heard. Momentary Lapse was an unofficial Gilmour solo album with minor bits from Mason and Wright who slowly got their confidence back (Delicate Sound of Thunder had Gilmour, Mason and Wright playing like the old days). The Division Bell was the perfect ending to Floyd as Wright and Gilmour collaborated like in the Atom Heart Mother through Wish You Were Here period and the live PULSE was proof.

My Top 14 Pink Floyd tracks (a song from each album) :
    1) Shine On You Crazy Diamond (all nine parts)
    2) High Hopes
    3) Comfortably Numb
    4) Echoes
    5) Us and Them
    6) Wots...Uh the Deal
    7) Atom Heart Mother Suite
    Dogs
    9) Interstellar Overdrive
    10) Remember a Day
    11) On the Turning Away
    12) The Narrow Way (all three parts)
    13) Cirrus Minor
    14) Not Now John

My Top 14 Pink Floyd albums :
    1) Wish You Were Here
    2) The Dark Side of the Moon
    3) Meddle
    4) Obscured by Clouds
    5) The Wall
    6) The Division Bell
    7) Atom Heart Mother
    Animals
    9) The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    10) A Momentary Lapse of Reason
    11) More Soundtrack
    12) A Saucerful of Secrets
    13) Studio Disc of Ummagumma
    14) The Final Cut

Live Pink Floyd albums :
    1) PULSE
    3) Live at Empire Pool Wembley 1974 (the bonus discs on Experience Versions of Dark Side and Wish You Were Here)
    3) Is There Anybody Out There? The Wall Live 1980-81
    4) Delicate Sound of Thunder
    5) Live Disc of Ummagumma

Best solo studio albums :

SYD BARRETT :
    1) Barrett
    2) Opel
    3) The Madcap Laughs

DAVID GILMOUR
    1) self titled
    2) On an Island
    3) Metallic Spheres (with The Orb)
    4) About Face

RICHARD WRIGHT
    1) Wet Dream
    2) Broken China
    3) Identity (with Zee)

NICK MASON
    1) Fictitious Sports
    2) Profiles

ROGER WATERS
    1) Amused to Death
    2) The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking
    3) Music From the Body (with Ron Geesin)
    4) Radio KAOS

Best live solo efforts

1) DAVID GILMOUR - Live in Gdansk
    2) ROGER WATERS - In the Flesh (I don't cound Wall in Berlin)

They won't reunite for the money (David Gilmour refuses, turned down $300 million for a reunion tour so he could do his On an Island solo album and tour). Plus the fact that co-founder/keyboard player/songwriter Rick Wright died and now Gilmour won't play certain Floyd songs live again and in fact broke down when he dedicated his Lifetime Achievement Award from Q Magazine to Rick.
    Roger refused to show up for the band's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame but Gilmour, Mason and Wright all kindly acknowledged Roger and Syd and wasn't until 2005 that Waters mellowed out and reunited for Live 8 which was (as fate had it) the final Floyd performance.

Tidbits : The Eagles' Hotel California kept Pink Floyd's Animals from reaching #1 in the US in 1977 yet The Wall kept The Long Run from reclaiming #1 in early 1980. The Eagles have sold 20 million or so more albums than the Floyd in the US (100 million to Floyd's 80 million in US sales (the PF sales need to be re-certified)) yet those two bands have outsold The Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Queen but don't have a chance to catch Led Zeppelin nor The Beatles. Pink Floyd's Division Bell Tour outgrossed the Hell Freezes Over Tour (Floyd's ticket prices were lower than The Eagles and The Rolling Stones but Mick and Keith charged a house payment for their Voodoo Lounge Tour).

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Pink Floyd

LOVE FLoyd!!!! I didn't start getting into them till I met my husband about 27 years ago or so. David Gilmour is a genius!! As far as favorites, I have many and I love the hits. I'd have to think about a list of favorites. I can say my favorite song of theirs is probably Young Lust.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Welcome to the board! I am also a big fan of Pink Floyd. I first heard Echoes when I was thirteen and was just completely in awe of that song. The strange, ethereal sounds, the long, quiet spaces and then the soothing, harmonious vocals... Hey You was also one of my early favourites. Very different in style to Echoes, but it made me realise the breadth of this band. I love Roger Waters' songwriting, coupled with David and Rick's vocals... Magical stuff. I was living in a rural part of South Africa when they reformed for Live 8 and my mum and best friend stayed up all night to record the performance for me. That's dedication!

I'm so glad that you mentioned Young Lust, Willie... I love that song! It rocks, and David Gilmour's vocals are incredible.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Stuck on the Border

Wow, TJ, you write well.

You know a great deal more about them than I do. I really have only heard the 'big albums' and I have to say, I don't like The Wall very much. I am gratified that Wish You Were Here is your favourite album because it is mine too. I also really like The Division Bell.

I would have a very conservative Top 10 which would be:

1. Wish You Were Here
    2. Money
    3. Have A Cigar
    4. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (both sections)
    5. Brain Damage
    6. Us & Them
    7. Learning To Fly
    8. Comfortably Numb
    9. Welcome To The Machine
    10. High Hopes

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Wow, TJ, you write well.

You know a great deal more about them than I do. I really have only heard the 'big albums' and I have to say, I don't like The Wall very much. I am gratified that Wish You Were Here is your favourite album because it is mine too. I also really like The Division Bell.

I would have a very conservative Top 10 which would be:

1. Wish You Were Here
    2. Money
    3. Have A Cigar
    4. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (both sections)
    5. Brain Damage
    6. Us & Them
    7. Learning To Fly
    8. Comfortably Numb
    9. Welcome To The Machine
    10. High Hopes
    I recommend the Meddle and Obscured by Clouds albums as they were precursors to Dark Side and Wish You Were Here. I prefer the live versions of Animals to the studio version.

The band as well as The Eagles have been the soundtrack to my life (I was raised on both by my parents as well as The Rolling Stones, AC/DC (from your native Australia), The Beatles, The Who, Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Van Halen, Def Leppard (all thanks to my mom may she RIP) and some old R&B and soul (thanks to my dad) and then got into things like Ozzy, Dire Straits, Iron Maiden, Queen, Genesis, Dio all on my own). I have been questioned for liking the Floyd and Eagles as many picked on me for liking The Eagles and I said "I can like whoever and whomever". Plus the fact I'm a drummer, guitarist and keyboard player I am a fan of those who really crafted music (everything from 1997 forward has been garbage as far as I'm concerned).

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Wow, I can get an education here! Thanks for all the info tj!

I must confess that even though I'm old enough to know all about PF, I just never liked them until say the last 10 years or so. I absolutely love Comfortably Numb and Wish You Were Here as far as songs, but have never had one of their albums. () I do have the dvd Pulsewhich I really enjoy, and another one which is a type of documentary done in Pompeii, I think. Some very weird stuff there.

Anyways, welcome to the Border! Glad to have ya! As you can see, it's a diverse group musically here!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Wow, I can get an education here! Thanks for all the info tj!

I must confess that even though I'm old enough to know all about PF, I just never liked them until say the last 10 years or so. I absolutely love Comfortably Numb and Wish You Were Here as far as songs, but have never had one of their albums. () I do have the dvd Pulsewhich I really enjoy, and another one which is a type of documentary done in Pompeii, I think. Some very weird stuff there.

Anyways, welcome to the Border! Glad to have ya! As you can see, it's a diverse group musically here!
    As the great David Gilmour said it "Thank you very much indeed"

Here is some rare live Pink Floyd from pre-Dark Side of the Moon with "Cymbaline" from the More Soundtrack (which was the band's third full length album though half instrumental).

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl9JwM3MX4s[/ame]

Roger Waters claims David Gilmour has retired but Gilmour did record an album with The Orb in 2010 called Metallic Spheres which has Gilmour's guitars all over the where.

Here is a taster, this is "Hymns to the Sun" featuring some tasty lap steel/slide and Fender Stratocaster work from David debunking Roger's claim that David is retired. Hope Gilmour releases a new solo album in not so distant future. This piece may not be everyone's cup of tea

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRyuWSjS7t8[/ame]

Welcome to the border TJ...I'd have to say my favorite Pink Floyd song is Us and Them...glad to have you here...hope you enjoy it!!!