Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Listography-Your life in playlists

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Listography-Your life in playlists

South Bound Suarez - Led Zeppelin.

What's more it came true now he's at Barcelona.

Also don't forget that Carragher No has also been sung by both Mr Frey & Mr Schmit.

The rest of those are excellent. I wish I could think of others. The only one that sprang to mind was Shearer Heart Attack (Queen) for one of my husband's heroes. Then there is Best Of My Love, I suppose. Don't go there.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I can't believe I missed out on South Bound Suarez - whenever I see that song title I immediately think of Luis, and as you said, it turned out to be quite accurate.

Shearer Heart Attack is a good one! That got me thinking about some more Newcastle players who have names that work in song titles as well, I think there's a fair few for them too. Another Queen song title that would work would be The Shola Ameobi Must Go On (there is also a Pink Floyd song with this name).

Shay Given's name can be incorporated into a number of song titles providing you're not that fussed about grammar (e.g. Given Me Shelter, You Never Given Me Your Money). One that works perhaps slightly better is Buffalo Springfield's Mr. Solano, while the late Gary Speed had a name which doesn't tend to need to be changed to fit - a song like say, Coldplay's High Speed includes his name already.

For some reason a lot of Newcastle's players from recent times have names that can be fitted into Led Zeppelin song titles. These would include Celebration Beye (Habib Beye), Dyer Mak'er (Kieron Dyer) and Hats Off To (Steve) Harper. Album after album of songs could be dedicated to Sebastian Bassong - again I'll go for a Led Zeppelin one, The Bassong Remains The Same, although they have several that work for his name! There's also Nobody's Fault Butt Mine although this at risk of falling into the same category as your example of The Best Of My Love, or worse yet, What Is And What Should Neville Be...

One Eagles song that does work for an ex-Newcastle player is VOL - Victim of Lovenkrands has quite a nice ring to it I think. Meanwhile Titus Bramble's name could easily be fitted into a certain Joe Walsh song. Suffice to say the song in question has an initialised title!

Craig Bellamy, James Milner and Michael Owen are all ex-Newcastle players so their songs can be used again (although Owen is even less popular up there in my experience). I sometimes forget that prior to joining Liverpool Dietmar Hamann spent a season with Newcastle - while Simple Hamann works fine for him as a Liverpool player, for his time in the north-east of England only one song is appropriate, this being Mark Knopfler's Why Aye Hamann!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    I can't believe I missed out on South Bound Suarez - whenever I see that song title I immediately think of Luis, and as you said, it turned out to be quite accurate.

Shearer Heart Attack is a good one! That got me thinking about some more Newcastle players who have names that work in song titles as well, I think there's a fair few for them too. Another Queen song title that would work would be The Shola Ameobi Must Go On (there is also a Pink Floyd song with this name).

Shay Given's name can be incorporated into a number of song titles providing you're not that fussed about grammar (e.g. Given Me Shelter, You Never Given Me Your Money). One that works perhaps slightly better is Buffalo Springfield's Mr. Solano, while the late Gary Speed had a name which doesn't tend to need to be changed to fit - a song like say, Coldplay's High Speed includes his name already.

For some reason a lot of Newcastle's players from recent times have names that can be fitted into Led Zeppelin song titles. These would include Celebration Beye (Habib Beye), Dyer Mak'er (Kieron Dyer) and Hats Off To (Steve) Harper. Album after album of songs could be dedicated to Sebastian Bassong - again I'll go for a Led Zeppelin one, The Bassong Remains The Same, although they have several that work for his name! There's also Nobody's Fault Butt Mine although this at risk of falling into the same category as your example of The Best Of My Love, or worse yet, What Is And What Should Neville Be...

One Eagles song that does work for an ex-Newcastle player is VOL - Victim of Lovenkrands has quite a nice ring to it I think. Meanwhile Titus Bramble's name could easily be fitted into a certain Joe Walsh song. Suffice to say the song in question has an initialised title!

Craig Bellamy, James Milner and Michael Owen are all ex-Newcastle players so their songs can be used again (although Owen is even less popular up there in my experience). I sometimes forget that prior to joining Liverpool Dietmar Hamann spent a season with Newcastle - while Simple Hamann works fine for him as a Liverpool player, for his time in the north-east of England only one song is appropriate, this being Mark Knopfler's Why Aye Hamann!
    That even scans.

Did you know their father is called Neville. I kid you not. The fans used to sing to the tune of Bowie's Rebel Rebel 'Nevillle Neville is the name of your dad'....

Perhaps I should mention that the Smiths did a song called Frankly Mr Shankly. I just watched it on YouTube & it was better than I was expecting. I can only say that Elton John wrote a song for the current manager. It's from Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. Then there is Prince's recording studio, Paisley Park....

I meant to reply to this sooner but never got around to it, better late than never I suppose.

I had heard about the Neville Neville chant, that's actually quite good by their standards - certainly compared to the awful 'We're Man United, we'll do what we want' (to the tune of Sloop John B, which is overused by football fans to a ridiculous extent) and 'Champione, Champione, Ole ole ole'... I digress.

I must admit I'd never heard of any of those Liverpool manager songs, not even Frankly Mr Shankly. My number one Liverpool FC song that isn't a club anthem like You'll Never Walk Alone or the basis for a chant has to be Pink Floyd's Fearless, which features the Liverpool fans singing YNWA and chanting 'Liverpool' at the end of the song.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCgQuj8v2gg[/ame]

I believe the fans were recorded at Wembley in the 1971 FA Cup final, where Liverpool were beaten 2-1 by Arsenal (the team Roger Waters supports).

In any case I've got a new theme...
    Your Favourite Songs That Run To Under 2 and 1/2 Minutes in Length.

Here's my 12-song playlist taken from songs in my iTunes library, with the song timings in brackets to show that they really are pretty short.

1) In My Room - The Beach Boys (2:12)
    2) Subterranean Homesick Blues - Bob Dylan (2:19)
    3) Don't Panic - Coldplay (2:17)*
    4) Twenty-One - Eagles (2:10)
    5) I Dreamed There Was No War - Eagles (1:3**
    6) Never Going Back Again - Fleetwood Mac (2:13)***
    7) Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin (2:27)
    Bron-Yr-Aur - Led Zeppelin (2:0**
    9) Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere - Neil Young (2:29)
    10) The Needle And The Damage Done - Neil Young (2:03)
    11) The Show Must Go On - Pink Floyd (1:37)****
    12) Alone - Wishbone Ash (2:25)

Of these, I think Immigrant Song is the standout and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a song of its length that is as impressive as the immense Led Zeppelin III opener.

Two songs that just miss out are Bob Dylan's Knockin' On Heaven's Door and Led Zeppelin's Communication Breakdown, which run to 2:30 exactly and therefore don't run under the time limit. It should be noted that the Guns 'N' Roses version of Heaven's Door is much longer and therefore cannot be included, can't remember the length of Eric Clapton's cover (I only own Bob's original).

* I actually consider this be one of Coldplay's top three songs. I think some of their other songs are too long and start to drag, whereas Don't Panic is the exact length it needs to be.
    ** I like to think the repeat button was created with such short yet beautiful instrumentals as these two in mind...
    *** For what it's worth, the only other three Fleetwood Mac songs I have which meet the runtime criteria are The Ledge, That's Enough For Me and Never Make Me Cry. I don't care for any of these tracks whereas I love Never Going Back Again.
    *** There are many Pink Floyd songs that run for less than 2:30 but most of them don't really work as standalone songs without listening to the tracks immediately before and after - e.g. Speak To Me from Dark Side or The Happiest Days of Our Lives on The Wall - or are slight instrumentals such as More Blues on the More album, this one feels like a complete song though.

Stuck on the Border

The Elton John song I was referring to was Roy Rogers. I was just making a joke about the manager's surname.

Songs which are shorter than 2:30?

Immigrant Song & then daylight.

Seriously:

Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon - Queen. (1:07) I didn't realise how short this is. Seaside Rendezvous is 2:15
    Her Majesty - Beatles (0:23)
    Political Science - Randy Newman (2:05)
    Viva Las Vegas - Elvis Presley (2:13)
    Play With Fire - Rolling Stones (2.:15)
    Doctor Robert - Beatles (2:15)
    Lady Madonna - Beatles (2:18 )
    There's A Place - Beatles (1:53)
    59th Street Bridge Song - Simon & Garfunkel (1:51)
    I Wanna Be Around - Glenn Frey (2:19)

Of course a lot of Beatles songs are very short.

I knew what were getting at, when you mentioned the Elton John song I did check the tracklisting for the album as I'm really not very familiar with any of his records. Now I think about it both halves of the song title can be related to Liverpool managers, although Roy has got to be Roy Evans, who was a great servant to the club, and not the other one (whose tenure I would rather forget).

Very true about The Beatles and the same holds true for The Beach Boys where from the one (single CD) compilation I own there are several tracks which are under 2 and 1/2 minutes in length so for my list I simply picked my favourite from these. In fact, of the 29 songs on the compilation only four of them are over 3 minutes long, hence why so many can be fitted onto one CD and even though a song like Good Vibrations is unusually long for The Beach Boys at 3:36, this is almost exactly the same length as Desperado and only slightly longer than Take It Easy, which aren't especially long for the Eagles. I think this is partly because the limitations of recording technology at the time meant it was difficult to record anything more than about 3 minutes or so in length so the songs had to be sufficiently short to be recorded.

Border Desperado The Disco Strangler's Avatar

This looks like fun. Must play.

Your Favourite Songs That Run To Under 2 and 1/2 Minutes in Length

Megadeth - Dawn Patrol (1:52)
    Everly Brothers - Cathy's Clown (2:23), Bird Dog (2:14)
    Poppy Family - I Thought of You Again (2:27)
    The Platters - Smoke Gets in Your Eyes (2:27)
    Timothy B. Schmit - So In Love (2:17)
    Eagles - The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks (2:21)
    Cheap Trick - Oh Claire (1:11)
    Paul Revere & the Raiders - Kicks (2:25)
    Dusty Springfield - Son of a Preacher Man (2:27)
    Maureen McGovern - The Morning After (2:22)

Border Desperado The Disco Strangler's Avatar

List of Favorite Songs About Places

(This can be anyplace, state, city, country, building, etc, real or fictional.... it's your list so use whatever your definition is of "place")

Bob Seger: Katmandu
    Benjamin Orr: Skyline
    Alice in Chains: Down in a Hole
    Jerry Cantrell: Bargain Basement Howard Hughes
    Collective Soul: Under Heaven's Skies
    Collective Soul: Where the River Flows
    Johnny Cash: Flosom Prison Blues (looove it)
    Rainbow: Man on the Silver Mountain
    Rainbow: Street of Dreams
    Eagles: The Disco Strangler (obviously, heh)
    Eagles: King of Hollywood
    Eagles: Seven Bridges Road
    Eagles: In the City
    Glenn Frey: You Belong to the City
    Phil Collins: Something Happened on the Way to Heaven
    Megadeth: Go to Hell
    Megadeth: Hangar 18
    Megadeth: Train of Consquences
    Paul Revere and the Raiders: Night Train
    RHCP: Californication
    RHCP: Under the Bridge
    The Hollies: Bus Stop
    Van Halen: Mean Street
    Van Halen: Take Your Whiskey Home
    Van Hagar: Top of the World

This time I'll make a couple of lists of my favourite and least favourite album covers:

Favourite Album Covers
    - Modern Life Is Rubbish - Blur (The Gresley Pacifics are my favourite steam engines)
    - Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan (Great shot, it's the stare in his eyes, shows he really meant business!)
    - Parachutes - Coldplay (The orange globe is beautiful and fits the warm, mellow music perfectly)
    - In Rock - Deep Purple
    - Dire Straits - Dire Straits
    - Eagles - Eagles (Love the desert image)
    - Eagles - On The Border (An underrated cover for an underrated album IMO, just think it looks cool)
    - Rumours - Fleetwood Mac (Sums up the album's central theme as well as being a great shot of Lindsey and Stevie)
    - Led Zeppelin I (Great choice of image for a hard rock band's first album)
    - Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin
    - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere - Neil Young (Really like the shot of him out in the country with his canine companion)
    - After The Gold Rush - Neil Young
    - Argus - Wishbone Ash

I will give a special mention to Pink Floyd who have several of my favourites:
    - Atom Heart Mother - Can't help but laugh at that cow... (Apparently when this cover was shown to the record company they said 'Do you want us to go out of business?')
    - The Dark Side Of The Moon - Only one word for it. Iconic.
    - Wish You Were Here - Another classic image, is also clever with the man being literally 'burned' by the music business.
    - Animals - Great idea, executed brilliantly. Also fits the album's music perfectly.
    The Division Bell - Really like the two big Easter Island-style statues.

For what it's worth, I have posters of the Dark Side, WYWH and Animals covers.

Least Favourite Album Covers (I actually like some of these albums, in fact I love a couple of them, but the covers... no)
    - Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys (Awfully cringeworthy, I think this is album is a bit overrated anyway but the cover makes it difficult to take the music as seriously)
    - Tusk - Fleetwood Mac (Ugly with too much wasted space)
    - Led Zeppelin III (It's just too messy)
    - Nevermind - Nirvana (In poor taste IMO)
    - Meddle - Pink Floyd (I don't hate it, but by Floyd's standards it is a bit of a disappointment considering how good the album is)
    - Songs Of Innocence - U2 (At risk of upsetting any U2 fans, when you've already spammed everyone's iTunes accounts with your album the last thing you need to do is put such a dodgy looking image next to it...)

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Agree about the U2 cover. And learning that the dude Adam is embracing is his 18-year son didn't help either - it's just awkward.

My favorite album covers are "Heyday" by The Church (can be summed up in two words: "screaming paisley," but it's beautiful) and The Doors "13" for sentimental reasons, and because you can't do much better aesthetically than Jim Morrison's face.

Jonny, have you heard "Frankly Mr Shankly" yet? I've always loved it, and it features one of Morrissey's funniest lyrics ever, "Sometimes I'd feel more fulfilled/making Christmas cards with the mentally ill." Anyone who's ever had a crap job can identify.