Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: How have your Eagles opinions changed?

Default Re: How have your Eagles opinions changed?

WHAT!? I can't believe it's true, must be a mistake, surely they would have announced it

crackpot journalism indeed!!!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I've been a fan since the very beginning and have always loved most everything they've done. I was devestated when they broke up and elated when hell froze over and continued listening to their music all the years in between.

I don't really think my opinions have changed about anything other than like The Long Run album better than I used to.

F50, why would you want Joe to leave the band? And who would you replace him with? That pretty much blows my mind!
    Well Brooke - I could have written this. Everything you said applies to me also. And I've said many times before that, IMO, if any of the current band members were to leave at this point, I believe they would go ahead and call it quits. I just don't think the members would have much appetite for any line up changes now.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Probably the omne thing that has changed for me is
    When I first bought the VBO cd and started listening to some of their lesser known songs (to me anyway) I didn't really like Doolin-Dalton and would often skip it on the CD. But after a while it grew on me and after seeing it (and the reprise) performed at the HOTE shows, I can honestly say my opinion of the song has rocketed and it is now one of my favourites. Skip it? Never, I often replay it now!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Border Desperado The Disco Strangler's Avatar

I've always been a Timothy/Glenn fan. It's their voices that got me into the Eagles when Dad bought me The Long Run when I was a little girl. Lately, though, I'm enjoying and appreciating Randy Meisner. Now I'm poking through his solo stuff.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I've said many times before that, IMO, if any of the current band members were to leave at this point, I believe they would go ahead and call it quits. I just don't think the members would have much appetite for any line up changes now.
    If a new line up could deliver a first rate show and sell just as many tickets, why would they stop? They still have an appetite to perform. I just wish that they still had an appetite to make new music.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    If a new line up could deliver a first rate show and sell just as many tickets, why would they stop? They still have an appetite to perform. I just wish that they still had an appetite to make new music.
    Well, if we took say TBS as an example of someone who would potentially leave, they need to find someone who:
    - Sings high and in harmony
    - Plays bass and can learn 30+ tabs off by heart
    - Henley and Crago can build a rapport with
    - Has a decent reputation

Neither Henley nor Frey could be replaced, too many vocals and too much image and behind the scenes matters depend on them. Replacing Walsh would be nearing impossible and I suspect about as popular amongst the general public as Felder leaving, certainly you'd never replace the stage presence. Put all of that together along with their age and that realistically they've probably got about 5 years tops left of any extended performances and it becomes quite obvious why they probably wouldn't bother.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    First of all, I'm not convinced that they could come up with any other lineup that would be capable of selling just as many tickets. And even if they could, I think there's a lot more to it. Again, I just don't believe they have the appetite to basically 'train' any newcomers to the band at this point.

I agree with almost everything that tlr wrote except I think replacing Joe would be hugely unpopular and have a much more severe impact than losing Felder. Joe's solo songs and stage presence are such an integral part of the second half of the show that I consider him nearly as irreplacable as Henley or Frey.

Of course, this is all hypothesis and speculation on my part.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

The big thing that has changed for me over the last two years is I now have opinions. Before that I was in blissful ignorance.

In the early days, I loved Don Henley's vocals from Witchy Woman up to One of These Nights. I must have played "Best of My Love" continuously at one point. However, on LROOE I preferred Glenn's even when the songs weren't that interesting. Maybe as I've got older I prefer the smooth seduction rather than the sexy rasp. There's also the way their voices have changed. From HC on, Don has a tendency to sound strained (in one interview he said he chose the pitch so as to achieve that strain). It's harder to explain the changes with Glenn as he sings different styles and is less consistent. I love the huskiness of the early 90s and the smoothness of his more recent work.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    The big thing that has changed for me over the last two years is I now have opinions. Before that I was in blissful ignorance.

In the early days, I loved Don Henley's vocals from Witchy Woman up to One of These Nights. I must have played "Best of My Love" continuously at one point. However, on LROOE I preferred Glenn's even when the songs weren't that interesting. Maybe as I've got older I prefer the smooth seduction rather than the sexy rasp. There's also the way their voices have changed. From HC on, Don has a tendency to sound strained (in one interview he said he chose the pitch so as to achieve that strain). It's harder to explain the changes with Glenn as he sings different styles and is less consistent. I love the huskiness of the early 90s and the smoothness of his more recent work.
    I couldn't agree more, UtW. Their voices have changed and they still do a fabulous job, but oh, how I loved Don's sexy rasp. And Glenn's smooth, sweetness.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    And Glenn's smooth, sweetness.
    Sweet like Sugar, maybe?

Because Glenn has my favorite voice, I don't say it enough... Don has an absolutely incredible voice. It's nearly perfect, and it's very distinctive. Singing background, especially on other people's songs, is where I notice it especially. His voice adds so much to the recordings. Singing lead or solo, his voice reaches right out there and grabs you and pulls you in.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.