Page 79 of 148 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389129 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Banned

Default Re: Joe in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke
    Well, I'd not heard Joe doing Desperado before. It was actually pretty good! I would rather hear Henley or Frey do it, but it was ok.

What puzzles me is, why would he want to do it? It's not like he doesn't have plenty of his own songs that he could do and that people would probably rather hear.

Joe's cover of Desperado isn't really to do with it being an Eagles song.

I think Joe found a connection with the song in his drunk days. He performs a slightly altered arrangement with different lyrics to make it more personal.

Joe opened the second set' of the original Ringo And The All Starr's Tour (1989) with a solo version of Desperado and he also performed it on his MTV Unplugged show, although it wasn't broadcast.

Henley was promoting his, The End Of The Innocence album in 1989 and was, apparently unhappy that Joe was performing Desperado and Life In The Fast Lane with Ringo's band.

During the second All Starr's Tour (1992), Joe stuck to, In The City and Rocky Mountain Way (initially Look At Us Now) and the occasional solo acoustic track, which just happened to be Desperado when they recorded their live album.

I can't remember the last time Joe performed Desperado but once I realised he was going to perform a song in New Zealand, to celebrate his epiphany, I knew it would be Desperado, even without the Piano. It's his, depths of despair song.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

An article about the history of audio in venues. It's an interesting read, and does briefly mention Joe.

http://www.avnetwork.com/features/00...industry/94750
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Joe get a mention in a story about Bill Withers. Apparently they're good friends.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...0150327?page=2
    VK

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Joe get a mention in a story about Bill Withers. Apparently they're good friends.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...0150327?page=2

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

Henley didn't want Joe doing Eagles songs because they weren't up to his standard, much like him not wanting Felder to sing any more songs (ie: VOL) after Visions. He hated Joe doing Desperado TTBOMK.

I love ya Don, but I have 0 problems with either Joe or Felder singing Eagles songs. Truth be told, I think they are as good vocally in their own style. Joe is more gravally in his voice, which might not work for smooth songs like Desperado (then again there is PMAIAR) - but I can say I love Joe's vocals on LITFL as much as Henley's. I think every Eagles member to date has been a great singer and can compare favorably to one another. They are a singing band that happens to have a strong guitar band strength. I think all of their vocals are equally good in terms of talent and technique, it's just what style and sound you prefer.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

One of our Facebook followers, Odette, posted this on our page. Ngati Whatua Orakeis photo from New Zealand.

VK

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Henley didn't want Joe doing Eagles songs because they weren't up to his standard, much like him not wanting Felder to sing any more songs (ie: VOL) after Visions. He hated Joe doing Desperado TTBOMK.
    It does seem strange that Don questions Joe and Don singing his songs. He's performed lots of other people's songs himself. I think he's even performed Already Gone, which he neither wrote or sang lead.

I think Don has since changed his opinion, judging by his trombone version of Hotel California and his, MC Don version of Life In The Fast Lane.

Joe sang Rocky Mountain Way, Life In The Fast Lane, Life's Been Good and All Night Long with Kenny Chesney, a few nights ago.

I wonder why he's not sang All Night Long with the Eagles since 1981?

Thanks for posting the Walsh links, VAisForEagleLovers

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post

Joe sang Rocky Mountain Way, Life In The Fast Lane, Life's Been Good and All Night Long with Kenny Chesney, a few nights ago.
    F50, there's a whole thread devoted to this with pictures, links to articles, and links to videos if you're interested.
    VK

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post

I love ya Don, but I have 0 problems with either Joe or Felder singing Eagles songs. Truth be told, I think they are as good vocally in their own style. Joe is more gravally in his voice, which might not work for smooth songs like Desperado (then again there is PMAIAR) - but I can say I love Joe's vocals on LITFL as much as Henley's. I think every Eagles member to date has been a great singer and can compare favorably to one another. They are a singing band that happens to have a strong guitar band strength. I think all of their vocals are equally good in terms of talent and technique, it's just what style and sound you prefer.
    Sorry, but you are being far too generous to Felder in implying he is as good a singer as Frey and/or Henley. I will leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    One of our Facebook followers, Odette, posted this on our page. Ngati Whatua Orakeis photo from New Zealand.

Love this photo!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten