Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Press and Discussion about Don's new album(s) in progress

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Don in the press

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Soda, I understand all of the arguments and logic for doing this, but I still don't like it. The difference for me is that if Don was putting out an album of all new songs, I would be one of the first in line to buy it just because it is Don. However, I don't know if I'll buy this album or not. I'll just have to wait and see what's on it. But this fan may not be spending my money to hear Don remake a bunch of old songs. So for me, if it's this or nothing, I'll just have to wait and see.
    But I'm afraid that I am with Dreamer on this. At the moment I can't even see myself buying a hard copy of the CD. I would buy the tracks on iTunes which are not remakes of Eagles songs.

Also if he were to do an entire album of covers I wouldn't have a problem with that. It is the remakes of Eagles songs that bothers me.

Kate Bush is also releasing an album of re-recordings of songs from The Red Shoes & This Woman's Work. I find this entire trend bizarre & to put it as mildly as possible, sad.
    Last edited by Freypower; 04-10-2011 at 07:00 PM.

..my thoughts exactly...and one of the reasons that the EAGLES are SO special, is that they put out a double CD of NEW material...when everybody else is busy rearranging and re- recording their old stuff ..my husband and I were discussing who we'd like to go see in concert this year, and he was saying that as far as "older" groups are concerned, only the EAGLES are worth the price of the their tickets..there's a lot of truth in that..

I agree, GH. I admire the Eagles greatly for putting out a new album when so many would have been content to rest on their laurels.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Also if he were to do an entire album of covers I wouldn't have a problem with that. It is the remakes of Eagles songs that bothers me.
    I can see this. A well-done cover, like Don's magnificent "Come Rain or Come Shine," can be a real gem. I look forward to hearing more covers of that caliber on his country and R&B albums.

But the re-recording of Eagles songs... I have to admit I'm not looking forward to that. Perhaps it will only be a couple, though, and a very small part of the album.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    But I'm afraid that I am with Dreamer on this. At the moment I can't even see myself buying a hard copy of the CD. I would buy the tracks on iTunes which are not remakes of Eagles songs.

I with you two on this. And I don't want to hear remakes of Eagles songs at all. I have the country remakes album of Eagles songs in my collection and have never listened to it. It came with several others is the only reason I have it. I've heard some of them on the radio and they are ok, but I avoid them if possible.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Default Re: Press and Discussion about Don's new album(s)

..we used to play CDs at work before we got Sirius Radio and one of those CDs was "Common Thread" which I absolutely hated..but anyway, one of my coworkers (who's totally into country music), would always say she preferred the "country" versions than the Eagles....I nearly choked her a few times.....lol...SSOoooo glad we don't have to listen to it anymore..

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

I bought Common Threads because I loved all the artists on the CD. Travis Tritt came out with Take It Easy and Clint Black came out with Desperado. It was only after listening to this CD that I got interested in the Eagles again. I had forgotten that they were still around,since I only listened to Country Music and they did not play Eagles Music. Of course it changed in the fact that after this CD I did rediscover the Eagles, which is what lead me to the Border. I still only listen to Country Music except when I go in and listen to Eagles Radio.

I'll second that one, AZ. When Common Thread came out, it was real popular here in Music City for obvious reasons. Had been in the country magazines and interviews on local tv for months and when the Eagles came in town to provide the backup harmony for Tritt, that was the icing on the cake.

So I personally have no problems with Henley doing Eagles songs in his albums. He's an Eagle, they all have covered the songs in their solo albums with varying degrees of success, I'm anxious to hear it. And it will be done well since he's a perfectionist.

Merely MY opinion.......
    So if you see me walking all alone, don't look back. I'm just on my way back home.

I like Common Thread well enough (although I don't prefer any of the cover versions to the originals). I especially like Travis Tritt's "Take It Easy" and I'll always value the fact that it precipitated Hell Freezes Over and the reunion of the band. I also enjoy country music, so I have no issues there.

However, if Henley chooses to tread that ground again by "countrifying" Eagles songs - an idea which has already been executed on the Common Thread CD - the results could very possibly have a "been there, done that" feel unless he chooses different songs to re-record.

While all of the Eagles quite naturally perform Eagles songs in their solo sets and that is reflected in their live album releases, as far as I know only Randy has officially recorded a solo version of an Eagles song/songs on a studio album. (If I'm forgetting something please feel free to remind me!)

And despite my own lack of excitement about Henley's re-recording of Eagles songs, I think many will share Pueblo's opinion and that's definitely a good thing if you look at it from Henley's perspective! lol

As I said earlier, I'll be buying the album regardless.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

I'm sure that I will be right there to buy it too. I have the solo CDs that Don and Timothy have released lately. Since the last Don CD was a greatest hits one, (I hope I have that right), I really wanted new material. A CD of country covers would be OK. I would love to know what songs he is going to do.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by pueblo47 View Post
    I'll second that one, AZ. When Common Thread came out, it was real popular here in Music City for obvious reasons. Had been in the country magazines and interviews on local tv for months and when the Eagles came in town to provide the backup harmony for Tritt, that was the icing on the cake.

So I personally have no problems with Henley doing Eagles songs in his albums. He's an Eagle, they all have covered the songs in their solo albums with varying degrees of success, I'm anxious to hear it. And it will be done well since he's a perfectionist.

Merely MY opinion.......
    It may be done well but he will be singing Eagles songs without the presence of the other Eagles; I just can't get my head around why he thinks this is necessary when there are so many other songs. It would be better him to redo his SOLO songs. Not his Eagles songs. Or Eagles songs sung by other Eagles.