Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Press and Discussion about Don's new album(s) in progress

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Don in the press

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Cool! I really liked Brooks & Dunn in the 90s. Sorry to hear they've broken up.

As for the interview, I was kind of confused about what was going on there. It seems Dunn walked in and they decided to do Seven Bridges Road off the cuff, which made me think it was a warm up or something... but then he says they spent two hours on it, and he didn't talk about doing anything else, which makes me think that's what he was there to record. Plus, unless Don was joking or I'm misunderstanding, he approached Randy Travis about singing harmony on the song. That sure sounds like it's getting recorded.

If Don indeed is putting SBR on his album, I think it's a big mistake. It is a signature Eagles harmony song and - although I like Ronnie Dunn - he and Alison Krauss aren't the Eagles. I'm afraid the song will pale in comparison to the "real deal."

By the way, Krauss is sure making the rounds with the classic rockers, isn't she? lol
    That's how I read it & I agree with what you say; I'm surprised more people haven't commented on this. To put it mildly it shows a certain lack of imagination & an apparent disregard for the Eagles' legacy. But the quoted statement 'I've recorded some Eagles stuff' suggests that 7BR will not be the only Eagles song on this album. I say again; WHY?

Maybe he's "countrifying" some of their later rock stuff and changing it up? That could be interesting, even if it winds up sucking like that rap version of LITFL or the mariachi band version of Hotel California which have both mercifully been removed from YouTube. At least it would be something different.

I hope he's not just re-recording their country-rock tunes, which would leave us with nothing more than inferior versions of what we already have. If he's doing SBR, though, it sounds like that might be what we're getting.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I think it's fine to do revamped versions of old songs on stage. But this is supposed to be a 'new' solo album. I would rather it was comprised entirely of cover versions of other people's songs than this.

It reminds me of Randy recording "Take It to the Limit" and "Take It Easy" for his solo records. They were nothing compared to the Eagles versions (IMHO).

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    It reminds me of Randy recording "Take it to the Limit" and "Take It Easy" for his solo records. They were nothing compared to the Eagles versions (IMHO).
    OK... so in fact we have a precedent for this. Good grief.

Remember also that Glenn recorded Sea Cruise on No Fun Aloud after the Eagles had been playing it live. But this is re-doing Eagles songs.

Since there's already an album of Eagles covers (Common Thread?) - what's the point to doing it again? And why on earth would Don risk people saying his new version isn't as good as the Eagles' originals?

I was hoping the new album would introduce me to stuff I hadn't heard before!

Maybe they were just practising & checking out how the recording would sound... yeah okay, it was a lot of work to put into just practising... but I just have to be optimistic for as long as I can.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesKiwi View Post
    Maybe they were just practising & checking out how the recording would sound... yeah okay, it was a lot of work to put into just practising... but I just have to be optimistic for as long as I can.
    True, maybe we're getting concerned for no reason. Dunn by his own admission walked in there completely clueless and he could be confused or not expressing himself clearly about what went down in the studio because it was such an exciting experience for him (understandable). Dude even remembers the first three words of SBR wrong. No other interviews have mentioned Henley including Eagles songs. If SBR was just practice, though, that is indeed quite a lot of work to put into a song that won't appear on the album.

Like you, I will keep hope alive for now!

ETA: I went back and re-read the article, extra-carefully. I found these ending two lines interesting:

Ashley Mann: When do we get to hear it [Seven Bridges Road]?
    Ronnie Dunn: I don’t know. It’s a work in progress. He’s still recording.

Does he mean he doesn't know whether or not it'll be on the album, or that he doesn't know when the album will be released, or both?

Also, did you notice Don texted him? I wonder if, like me, Don refuses to use text abbreviations and types out "you" and "are" and the like. Or did Don text "man u did a gr8 job. thnx 4 being so patient"? (Since Ronnie Dunn's interview was oral, we'll never know!)

Stuck on the Border

To me that means he doesn't know the release date.

Unfortunately I thought the crucial line was Don being quoted as saying 'I've recorded some Eagles stuff'.

..PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE...just don't "country up" Eagles songs....it's been done much too often already...even if they're done by Don...ugh!!

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

Well.....all this conjecture is great.....but, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.......a release date would be good..
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here