Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Strange Weather"

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Celebration of "Strange Weather"

It's his masterpiece but I don't have any more to add to the passionate review I wrote earlier in the thread. I cling to this album, I suppose, for sustenance.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

HAPPY 19TH ANNIVERSARY TO STRANGE WEATHER!!!

This is indeed Glenn's masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. As I have stated many times before - love it, love it, love it!!! Like Soda and Freypower, I have already done a song-by-song review in this thread, so I won't repeat myself other than to say to anyone who hasn't heard this album that I would encourage you to give it a listen - I'd love to hear others thoughts about it.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I recently bought this CD used after reading about it in this thread. Until then, I didn't own any solo Frey. Back in the day, I was more into Eagles-type guitar rock and didn't care for Glenn's turn toward the R&B vibe.

I must have grown into it, because I was very pleased with what I heard on Strange Weather. I won't do the song-by-song review because others have already done it better than I can. Here are a few of my thoughts:

- Musically, I love pretty much everything on the album. I love how Glenn really knows how to set a mood with music. Blues, R&B, pop, instrumental - each style fits the mood of the song perfectly.

- For the most part, I think the lyrics are thoughtful and clever. Some of the phrasings occasionally feel a little awkward to me, like he was trying to fit too many syllables int a single line. It could be that I just need to listen more to learn the songs better.

- I LOVE how he tells us his thought processes in the liner notes. I found myself Googling "The Stand" and "Anne Rice" to understand the songs better.

- I actually know who Bill McKibben is! I'm a weather junkie and know a little about global warming, so "Long Hot Summer" is kinda special to me.

- Though it's not my favorite song, I think "Delicious" is adorable. As a parent, I can see how his inspiration was probably a sticky toddler putting her fingers in Daddy's mouth. It reminds me of my husband when our kids were small.

- The instrumentals, including the opening of "River of Dreams", are exquisite. I want a whole CD of Frey instrumentals.

That's all I have for now. Thank you all for introducing me to Strange Weather.

I'm very late here but............. Happy anniversary Strange Weather!

This is the best solo album from Glenn!!!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Thanks Windeagle - In case you didn't pick it up in this thread, I absolutely love this album. So, as a fellow admirer, I really enjoyed reading your comments about it. For me, the more I listen to it, the more I appreciate it!

Thanks for the comments, Windeagle - it really is a great album! So glad you got it!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

So are we going to have the 'ratings' thing as we did for Tell Me The Truth?

The instrumentals thing: I think Glenn has shown that he could do a whole soundtrack featuring just music. IDTWNW is another example of his skill in this area. I honestly believe that much as I love his voice I could listen to him just doing instrumentals (the Mark Knopfler thing applies here).

Ooo... now I'm imagining what a Frey-Knopfler instrumental collaboration would sound like. I'm sure it would be like going to heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    So are we going to have the 'ratings' thing as we did for Tell Me The Truth?
    FP - We'll have to see how it goes, but most likely we will. It'll probably be a while though because there are others to be done first.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Windeagle View Post
    Ooo... now I'm imagining what a Frey-Knopfler instrumental collaboration would sound like. I'm sure it would be like going to heaven.
    If you are a fan of Mark Knopfler, welcome to my world. It's my belief that IDTWNW had to have been influenced by MK.