Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: 2017 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees

Border Troubadour

Default Re: 2017 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Steve, to me, is the one who still has that Yes spirit and really can play the classic Yes music faithfully. ... ARW seem to be all self-hype the moment. Steve & co. play the classic material MUCH better.
    I'll disagree here, as much as I believe Steve Howe is one of the finest guitarists who has ever lived; Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman have just as much talent and have just as much right to use the Yes name. Since Chris's passing, the old Yes has seemed to me much more like a band filling in whichever gap gets vacated next (and I am aware Chris chose Billy Sherwood specifically to replace him), only Howe and White have any form of longevity or meaningful history with the band. Who performs Yes's vocals better out of Jon Anderson or Jon Davison is hardly an Agatha Christie novel... I'll take ARW over Howe and whoever's left this week any day.

Banned

I'm not a Journey fan but Mr Perry has earned a little respect from me. I assume that he didn't perform out of respect for his successors. I'm sure they'd be fearing a possible reunion with Perry would leave them out of a job.

Not so impressed with ARW. It looks like they've used the 2017 induction to validate ditching their ARW moniker and muscle back in on the more lucrative Yes franchise. I suppose a co-headlining tour of the two Yeses is out of the question. Save the fans some dosh...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I'll disagree here, as much as I believe Steve Howe is one of the finest guitarists who has ever lived; Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman have just as much talent and have just as much right to use the Yes name. Since Chris's passing, the old Yes has seemed to me much more like a band filling in whichever gap gets vacated next (and I am aware Chris chose Billy Sherwood specifically to replace him), only Howe and White have any form of longevity or meaningful history with the band. Who performs Yes's vocals better out of Jon Anderson or Jon Davison is hardly an Agatha Christie novel... I'll take ARW over Howe and whoever's left this week any day.
    My comment wasn't based on who has a right to call themselves Yes and who has not. I have heard the ARW performances of the classic material and IMHO they don't do the material justice as much as Steve and his band does. I say this only, because ARW have put down Steve's Yes constantly and praised their own act. When they keep doing that, they should prove they're right on stage. So far they haven't done that IMO.

ARW has called the current Yes a tribute band. What they forget is that Rabin wasn't originally on most of the material they play (what he does has none of the old Yes vibe IMO). So when White is in Yes (as far as I know he hasn't quit permanently), both bands have two members who recorded a lot of the old material. Well, Alan wasn't on Close To The Edge etc., but he's been playing that stuff live since '73 or something.

I guess my point is that it's great when ARW releases new material, but as far as the old, classic material goes, Steve would be my "go-to" man more than Anderson and his boys.

HBO is doing the free preview weekend right now. I figured I won't see it this coming weekend.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley