Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: America

Default Re: America

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Do you have a 12-string guitar? I want to get one really bad, but I'm guilt-tripping myself over spending that kind of money.
    Yeah I hear its worth it but I'm good with just the standard six string the song still sounds great! Love the electric slide on that song in particular
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Thanks for the link. More than 40 years ago, I talked my mother into buying Hat Trick. I still love Horse With No Name and enjoy many of the other songs.

I've mentioned the Holodigm website before in relation to the Eagles but it has even more on America including a videoed lecture by Gerry Beckley. Scroll down a few names on the side:

http://www.holodigmmusic.com/index-save.php?pg=guests

John Hartmann also has a good story about having to find a drummer for America at very short notice.

http://theholodigm.blogspot.co.uk/20...on-august.html
    Hey thank you, UtW! There's a talk on there by John Boylan too.

What was John Hartmann's role in the Eagles career? He is thanked in the Desperado liner notes. Was he their manager at some point pre-Irving? I thought they went straight from Geffen to Azoff, with maybe some Elliot Roberts in between?

In this HuffPo article, Gerry says, "There is a course at Loyola that a dear friend of mine, John Hartmann who is a professor there, and I speak at every semester. I try and come up with something that doesn't sound cliche. First of all, I tell people to be themselves because what they bring to the table is unique. They are their own self, and never fear about writing your heart or writing your feelings." http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-r..._b_840460.html

[Holy crap, Dewey & Gerry were only 20 when America had their first big hit.]
    Last edited by NightMistBlue; 12-17-2015 at 11:16 AM.

Just for fun: someone has uploaded the 1977 tourbook. Get a load of Gerry in the pink overalls! http://www.accessbackstage.com/america/tourbk77.htm

Stuck on the Border

Hey thank you, UtW! There's a talk on there by John Boylan too.

What was John Hartmann's role in the Eagles career? He is thanked in the Desperado liner notes. Was he their manager at some point pre-Irving? I thought they went straight from Geffen to Azoff, with maybe some Elliot Roberts in between?
    I remember the John Boylan talk as being really boring - like when a teacher just reads from the text book.

John Hartmann worked for Geffen-Roberts and was one of the day-to-day managers who worked with the Eagles from the start. He left about the time that Azoff joined. The story is that Glenn and Don asked him to leave Geffen-Roberts and be their manager and he agreed. They told Geffen who fired Hartmann and threatened to bury the Eagles if they went with him. They stayed. Hartmann did manage to take Poco and Geffen leant on promoters to not book Poco. Then not very much later, Azoff walked away with the Eagles and Geffen didn't put up too much fight. America also left Geffen-Roberts for John Hartmann.

Some of the other talks are quite interesting, including the tour accountant. You get to learn many of the ways in which bands were cheated.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Hartmann did manage to take Poco and Geffen leant on promoters to not book Poco. Then not very much later, Azoff walked away with the Eagles and Geffen didn't put up too much fight.
    This is not the first time anyone has said this about Geffen, but OMG! whatta b*st#rd.

I wonder what Azoff had going that Geffen didn't retaliate. Not physical intimidation, that's for sure - the man is a pixie.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Just for fun: someone has uploaded the 1977 tourbook. Get a load of Gerry in the pink overalls! http://www.accessbackstage.com/america/tourbk77.htm
    Yummy! Gerry was my favorite and now I remember why!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

[QUOTE=NightMistBlue;316827]This is not the first time anyone has said this about Geffen, but OMG! whatta b*st#rd.

OMG!! ITA, NMB!!

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Yummy! Gerry was my favorite and now I remember why!
    He was so, so skinny! I like gentle hippie boy Dewey

Awww...they're both just so young and cute as a button. Xxoo

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

I started Dan Peek's autobiography today and am already halfway through. He was so funny and smart. There's a moderate amount of Eagles-related content, as the two bands shared management for a time. Glenn was Dan's favorite, and is described as down to earth and earthy. Peek's amusing discomfort at the Geffen home's naked pool parties is a hoot (not that I blame him a bit).
    It's also interesting to read about the complex relationship between the America guys. At one point, Dan and Dewey felt they had to bring the too-confident Gerry down a few pegs. The psychological torture went on for some time, until a desperate Gerry pleaded for acceptance. "If he was a girl, he probably would have developed an eating disorder."