Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrie Underwood in the Sound of Music Live on NBC

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Carrie Underwood in the Sound of Music Live on NBC

Did anyone else see it? I thought she did a wonderful job. Not her genre for singing, not an actress by trade, three hour performance with no opportunity for a re-do. I can't think of anything more difficult or stressful for a performer. And, that type of broadcast hasn't been attempted in over 50 years (i.e. live full-length musical on a network). Thanks to NBC for doing it, I hope they do more in the future.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Carrie Underwood in the Sound of Music Live on NBC

It's not my cup of tea, and I've never watched the movie other than bits and pieces, but I thought she did a fantastic job for the hour that I struggled through it.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I had no desire to even watch this...there are certain things you don't mess with...and the Sound of Music is one of them...just my opinion!...

I did not see it last night, but will watch it just to see Audra McDonald, Laura Benanti and Christian Borle. I was happy to hear they used some real Broadway talent in addition to having "name" leads who will draw in an audience.

I adore the movie, but really like the fact that they broadcast a live musical on network TV. I think back to when I was a kid and had no access to live theater where I lived. I would have loved watching something like this. Anything that brings Audra McDonald's glorious singing voice to TV can't be all bad

Oooh, I forgot to mention I only saw the first hour or so. I didn't see her interactions with the Captain.

And to clarify, this production is not meant to be a remake of the beloved film, it is based on the original Broadway play that came out a few years before the film - that is why some things are changed up.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Carrie was on the Today Show yesterday and she said she had gotten all kinds of 'hate' mail for doing it. She said she never intended for it to try to 'replace' the original and that she loved Julie Andrews' version. And that she would have loved to have seen that live on tv when she was a kid. She acted thrilled to have gotten asked to do it.

I just don't care for musicals, period. But, what a challenge for an actress!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

My kids (8 yr. old girl and 12 yr. old boy) were absolutely riveted last night, they could not look away. I had to drag them off the couch fussing at 9:40 when they usually go to bed at 8:30. They have seen the SoM movie, and they have seen other live shows on Broadway, but for some reason the idea of "live TV" really intrigued them. My girl had a grin on her face the entire time. They were hoping for bloopers, I think. I guess that's why I enjoyed the part I saw - just seeing the little ones enjoy it so much. They don't care so much about the acting abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Springbo View Post
    I love musicals, (not this particular production though.) I can't believe she got hate mail for doing it. There is no reason for people to be mean like that.
    Seriously!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I did watch most of it, but didn't see the last 1/2 hour...Carrie did an amazing job. That was a huge undertaking! Just remembering the lines, the songs, then to have the 1 minute costume changes must have been so stressful.
    She was a great choice for the roll & her voice sounded fantastic. Not an easy job & she was up for it! Kudos to her! Very nice!

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

first, carrie is a singer (not really an actress) although she did a dramatic role in the soul surfer movie.

I also had read that it was a redo of the play not the classic movie with Julie Andrews.
    The classic stands on its on. just saying.

I thinks its terrible that she got hate mail.
    I think its wonderful to attempt something outside your comfort zone so you can grow as a person,

I did not like the captain in the beginning but then I realized I wasn't susposta and only grew to think he was great once he was with Maria and love had entered his life.

I too loved the mother abbas her voice was awesome.
    ALl in all I think it was a good job and entertaining