Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mar. 10, 2013 - Auckland, NZ

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Mar. 10, 2013 - Auckland, NZ

A fuzzy pic, but shows the passion.

Here's what the caption on the picture was: And hallelujah to you Mr Glenn Frey. Superb concert, impeccable voice. You can leave your boots under my bed any day!

There were quite a few tweets that said it was a great concert.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Default Re: Mar. 10, 2013 - Auckland, NZ

It was a FABULOUS concert. Please excuse my very random collection of thoughts, I didn't take notes during the concert (hey, I was in row 4 and just slightly to Glenn's right, so I had way better things to look at than a notepad. ). I will have to post in two parts since I have to go into work!

The only disappointment of the night was that he didn't do Here's To Life - after hearing FP's rhapsodies on his performance I would have loved to hear this. Also didn't do On The Way Home. (No orchestra).

Here we go then:

Dane Rumble was the opening act. I don't think very many people in the audience had ever heard any of his music - he started in hiphop and is more my teenage son's choice of music - but he has a good voice, and he was working really hard to interact with the audience. He also commented that they tried to choose the songs that weren't so "in your face." I think we were all surprised at just how much we enjoyed him. He said it was an honour to be there and we were all in for an amazing night with Glenn.

Glenn got huge cheers when he walked on, and the audience were really enthusiastic all night, singing along with PEF, excited to hear Tequila Sunrise (we got viva Mexico!), and belting out the choruses of Lyin' Eyes (he said he always dedicates this song to his first wife, Plaintiff, but his delivery of the line was more understated than I've heard before).

During LE he twice told people "Turn That Off!". At the end he apologised for shouting things out during the song, and said, "Here's my take on it. If you want to take my picture - go ahead. But if you want to make movies - well how would you feel if I turned up at your workplace and filmed you?". He didn't have to mention it again.

I loved the way he introduced each After Hours song. Some of the stories I hadn't heard before (e.g. TSOYS), and even when I knew the story, Glenn's delivery was unique

Route 66 was great - we didn't get the leg-in-the-air dancing, but Glenn did a very cool little growl on the last line.

Each song was very well received, and when Glenn was performing the AH songs you could hear a pin drop - everybody was enraptured. The musicians were outstanding, the performance of every song was superb.

Glenn's voice was beautiful, I thought it was much stronger and richer than when I heard him with the Eagles in 2010. He absolutely nailed Caroline, No.

Part 2 to follow tonight...
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

EK, thank you for your review!!

I wondered about the filming, I saw a tweet that said he'd 'told some people off' for filming him, and it was 'Classic!' that he did. It seemed they'd thought it fair.

I don't think I realized there'd be no orchestra at the show. I've noticed he doesn't do Here's To Life if there's no orchestra.

I'm so glad you enjoyed the show, EK and I can't wait to hear Part 2!
    VK

Thanks for the review - glad to hear it was such a great show! Looking forward to Part 2...

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

On The Way Home was not performed at all on this tour. It appears that idea of the Eagles doing songs that influenced them has been dropped at least for now.

We were not supposed to take photos at the Opera House but everyone did & Glenn said nothing. Nobody attempted to film him that I could see. As I have said, what he needs to do is release this show on Blu Ray.

I am glad you enjoyed it but I am sorry you did not have the awesome experience that is Here's To Life.

What a shame that he's no longer doing "On the Way Home." I really enjoyed that song. Even if the Eagles are not going to record covers of songs from bands who influenced them, it is a great song and added some pep to the setlist. I wish he'd kept it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

VK

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Great review, EK! So glad you enjoyed it!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    'Generic voice'?

Please.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Thanks for posting that review VA! Some lovely photographs are included in it.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP