Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: George Harrison

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default George Harrison

Since we didn't already have a thread here for George, I thought I'd start one to commemorate the 10th anniversary of his death today.

Since George was known as "the quiet" Beatle, his immense talent was often overshadowed. But, he was very talented indeed.

I remember how empty I felt when I heard about his passing. George - you are missed. Thank you for your mark on this earth!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Default Re: George Harrison

Thanks for starting this Dreamer. I really didn't realize how much talent George had until The Beatles broke up. His solo work is good and I love the Traveling Wilburys!(sp)
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border

I am still getting over the dreadful shock of his death. I cried for about an hour (well, I was in bed at the time).

The Quiet Beatle, an inspiration to millions, and still missed for his wonderful guitar playing and sensitive singing. I often listen to his harmony parts in Beatles songs.

My personal top 10 'Harisongs':

1. Something
    2. Here Comes The Sun
    3. My Sweet Lord
    4. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    5. Taxman
    6. What Is Life
    7. If I Needed Someone
    8. Love You To
    9. Within You Without You
    10. Blow Away

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

I have a DVD of a Carl Perkins special he was a part of. I didn't realize either what a great guitarist he was until I watched that DVD.

By FAR my favorite Beatle. He was the most melodic and lyrical guitarist of his time. And guys like Joe Walsh and Mike Campbell (both huge fans of him and the Beatles) followed in his footsteps to become the most melodic and lyrical (fitting the song) players of their time. They never overplay, they serve the song and they are always melodic in their parts.

My favorite George song is Here Comes The Sun. I've loved it since I was a little kid. It's so melodic and peaceful.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

This is so freaking awesome!!! Tom & Jeff sound beautiful but when Prince comes in with the guitar solo, it gave me chills! BTW- Dhani freaks me out every time I see him. I swear he's his Dad all over again!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...24021460950823
    He sings it high, he plays it low

It's a fabulous tribute to the song, but I do think Clapton owns that solo. Prince was grandstanding, as usual, but I think he's a better guitar player than people give him credit for.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I love His Purpleness! This was a great vid, TBF, thanks for posting. I actually forgot I was sitting here in my living room and actually applauded at the end of it. I don't think I've ever done that before. Prince made the video, IMO, but the entire thing was amazing beginning to end.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    It's a fabulous tribute to the song, but I do think Clapton owns that solo. Prince was grandstanding, as usual, but I think he's a better guitar player than people give him credit for.
    Thanks for acknowledging that he is a better guitar player than given credit for. I think anyone who has been or is familiar with his long career, has known that he's more talented than MOST out there. Starting from his very first solo album, For You (which I'm proud to say I am an owner of a first pressing that I've had since it came out), which he not only played all the instruments on but composed and produced at the tender age of only 20.

Prince is a guitar GOD and can hold his own up against about any other guitar player, including Clapton, whom I would be willing to bet, would agree, out there. He is, always has been and always will be, a showman which does NOT mean he's "grandstanding" and in no way diminishes the man's talents. He is a self taught musicians who plays 27 instruments. The man is one of the most talented musicians out there.

What he did in this video, is nothing short of spectacular. I just bet Jeff, Tom, Steve, Mark, etc... would agree to that.

When he fell backwards while that security guard(?) held him up, freaking awesome! And at the end when on the last note, he throws the guitar---so COOL!!! Love the smiles he throws those guys, he knows he's good and is having a great time at this. I wish he did more rock n roll. He handles it well.

Thank you, Verna. I know what you mean about him making the video! Sheer AWESOMENESS!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Love the smiles he throws those guys, he knows he's good and is having a great time at this. I wish he did more rock n roll. He handles it well.

Thank you, Verna. I know what you mean about him making the video! Sheer AWESOMENESS!!
    He has the most adorable smile and always has. He's not someone who comes to mind for guitar playing because he does so many other things as well. Kudos always go to those who do nothing else. Clapton is the obvious exception and even then, while he gets credit for his guitar playing, most say great 'performer' and not 'guitar player'. Because there's more to him than that. Same with His Purpleness.

I can see I'm gonna have to watch Purple Rain again this weekend.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.