Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Female Musician

Default Favorite Female Musician

Favorite Female Musician.....no time boundaries

Man, there are so many to choose from.

Stevie Nicks (great vocalist and prolific song writer)
    Christine McVie (vastly underated!)
    Janis Joplin (reinvented the vocal instrument!)
    Grace Slick (okay, I don't care whether she was a great musician or not!)
    Nancy Wilson (good guitarist, vocalist but more important in composing music)
    Ann Wilson (STRONG vocalist in Heart)
    Carie Underwood (okay, admitting there is little difference between Country and Rock except for the accent (quoted from Joe's Guitar Tech!)
    Loretta Lynn (may not like her music but she is legendary!)
    Dolly Parton (one of the most prolific songwriters ever!)
    Jonie Mitchell (A founding Mother of Contemporary Music)
    Mama Cass Elliot (Unbelievable talent!)
    Etta James (If you know Blues you know Etta!)

decisions decisions <LOL> Prolly left out some great ones. This was off the cuff.

MikeA

Default Re: Favorite Female Musician

Stevie Nicks (Favorite Female Singer)
    Nancy Wilson (Favorite Female Guitarist)
    Christine McVie
    Ann Wilson
    Joan Jett
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

When I "think" about Women in Rock, the first one that comes to mind to me is Janis. But I think of her more as Blues than Rock. When I think of Rock, three ladies come to mind instantly....Stevie, Nancy and Ann. Of those, I think of Stevie and Nancy as the most prominent because of their songwriting more so than their vocals, and believe me, I DEFINITELY appreciate the vocals of both of them!

Rock Music as a genre has not been kind to our Ladies. With a few exceptions, it has just not been something that has been an equal opportunity employer when it is measured in terms of "success".

I think maybe that has more to do with the acceptance of the Fans than it is any reflection of their ability and talent.

Back in the day, Men were admired for their Go To Hell Over The Top antics whether it be destruction of hotels, drugs or sexual escapades. But that same favor was not extended to promiscuous Women in the business. Janis was every bit as over the top and about all it got her was condemnation from even those who loved her as a musician. Ann and Nancy Wilson were not looked at in that light and as far as I know, were not a part of that Life in Excess camp.

A shame. Talk about a double standard!

MikeA

Just off the cuff...

Karen Carpenter
    Stevie Nicks
    Ann Wilson
    Nancy Wilson
    Joan Baez
    Joni Mitchell
    Melanie
    Carol King
    Christine McVie
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Definitely a 3 way tie for me between Stevie, Ann & Nancy Wilson. Love all 3 of them and have so much respect for what they have been able to do in this men's club we call Rock n Roll!

And Mike--Etta is amazing. I've got to tell this little story. A couple months ago, I was working in the kitchen and heard my daughter come downstairs and walk past behind me with her earphones on and could here what I knew was a female voice coming from it and could tell it was very bluesy. I honestly thought it was Aretha, no big surprise there for my daughter. But when she walked back by me I could tell it wasn't. So I got her attention and asked her what she was listening to. She handed over her Ipod and it was Fool That I Am by Etta. I was so proud!! Asked her how she knew her and she said she had heard her music from the movie, Cadillac Records, and then saw that I had some of her stuff in my itunes and ended up downloading it to her ipod and really loved it. Probably not to typical for an 18 year old girl nowadays?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Just off the cuff...
    I got a bran new pair of rollerskates, you got a bran new key.......

She's still performing away BTW. Or was the last I heard.

And Mike--Etta is amazing.
    Yep Willie, she's the real deal! Walsh performed with her and it was recorded. I have it somewhere. Great stuff!

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    When I "think" about Women in Rock, the first one that comes to mind to me is Janis. But I think of her more as Blues than Rock. When I think of Rock, three ladies come to mind instantly....Stevie, Nancy and Ann. Of those, I think of Stevie and Nancy as the most prominent because of their songwriting more so than their vocals, and believe me, I DEFINITELY appreciate the vocals of both of them!

Rock Music as a genre has not been kind to our Ladies. With a few exceptions, it has just not been something that has been an equal opportunity employer when it is measured in terms of "success".

I think maybe that has more to do with the acceptance of the Fans than it is any reflection of their ability and talent.

Back in the day, Men were admired for their Go To Hell Over The Top antics whether it be destruction of hotels, drugs or sexual escapades. But that same favor was not extended to promiscuous Women in the business. Janis was every bit as over the top and about all it got her was condemnation from even those who loved her as a musician. Ann and Nancy Wilson were not looked at in that light and as far as I know, were not a part of that Life in Excess camp.

A shame. Talk about a double standard!
    Definitely Mike.

Speaking of Ann Wilson, have you heard her sing Zeppelin tunes? She can really sing songs like "Black Dog" and those Zep songs really well.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Definitely Mike.

Speaking of Ann Wilson, have you heard her sing Zeppelin tunes? She can really sing songs like "Black Dog" and those Zep songs really well.
    Oh yeah! I sure have! Heart was heavily influenced by Zep. My favorite of the ones they have covered is "Battle Of Evermore". Everything from the soul wrenching vocals Ann to the eerie sound of Nancy's mandolin!

MikeA

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

My very favorite of all has to be Stevie Nicks. She's just awesome.

Ann & Nancy Wilson come next.

The rest would be debatable.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Linda Ronstadt
    Spanky McFarlane
    Judy Hauff
    Minnie Ripperton
    Karen Carpenter
    Joni Mitchell