Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: What's your name?

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: What's your name?

That's a pretty name, Daniela.

All the Eagles boards, FB pages, etc that I've visited are very much female majority. I wonder why?

That's true in general though, at least in my experience, with bands ranging from Led Zeppelin, Yes, The Doors and Morrissey/The Smiths. Those boards (except for The Doors) had more men than we seem to have here on The Border, but they are still majority female.

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    That's a pretty name, Daniela.

All the Eagles boards, FB pages, etc that I've visited are very much female majority. I wonder why?

That's true in general though, at least in my experience, with bands ranging from Led Zeppelin, Yes, The Doors and Morrissey/The Smiths. Those boards (except for The Doors) had more men than we seem to have here on The Border, but they are still majority female.
    thanks NightMistBlue

Interesting question, actually I can't find a motivation for this.

Please Soda=Nancy, add me to the list

takeiteasy=Mercedes

Never really noticed this thread before... but I'll play!

CAinOH - My name is Cheryl.

Actually, my name is Cheryl Ann (never use my middle name, just initial), one of those poor unfortunate women who were named after a tugboat from a television show in the mid-fifties. Seriously, Google the popularity of the name "Cheryl Ann" and it was one of the top names from the mid-fifties until about 1960. I asked my Mom once how they came up with my name and she said, "Ask your father." Oohh... yeah... So I asked my father and he said, "You were named after a tugboat." I looked at him like he was crazy and he shrugged and said, "There was this television show where a guy ran around solving crimes in his tugboat named Cheryl Ann." Okay, by that time I was sure he was certifiable. A few years ago, I Googled it. Oh. my. goodness. It was true. Dang.

I have since embraced my inner tugboat, purchased season one of Waterfront with Preston Foster as John Herrick, captain of the tug Cheryl Ann and I even have a scale model of said tug in a display cabinet in my living room.

But, really... Dang.

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CAinOH View Post

CAinOH - My name is Cheryl.

Actually, my name is Cheryl Ann (never use my middle name, just initial), one of those poor unfortunate women who were named after a tugboat from a television show in the mid-fifties. Seriously, Google the popularity of the name "Cheryl Ann" and it was one of the top names from the mid-fifties until about 1960. I asked my Mom once how they came up with my name and she said, "Ask your father." Oohh... yeah... So I asked my father and he said, "You were named after a tugboat." I looked at him like he was crazy and he shrugged and said, "There was this television show where a guy ran around solving crimes in his tugboat named Cheryl Ann." Okay, by that time I was sure he was certifiable. A few years ago, I Googled it. Oh. my. goodness. It was true. Dang.

I have since embraced my inner tugboat, purchased season one of Waterfront with Preston Foster as John Herrick, captain of the tug Cheryl Ann and I even have a scale model of said tug in a display cabinet in my living room.

But, really... Dang.
    This is funny!! But really too cute and I love that you have a model of the tugboat!!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

That is a cute story, Cheryl. Not many of us have such a claim to fame. Anyway, I added both you and Mercedes to the list on the first page - you as Cheryl. Let me know if you want it added as Cheryl Ann and I'll be glad to change it.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    That is a cute story, Cheryl. Not many of us have such a claim to fame. Anyway, I added both you and Mercedes to the list on the first page - you as Cheryl. Let me know if you want it added as Cheryl Ann and I'll be glad to change it.
    Heavens, no. Cheryl is quite appropriate enough. Thank you.

LOL - great story, Cheryl!

Mercedes, love your name. And you get mentioned in "Hotel California"!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Thanks Nancy. I had a very beautiful doll with your name when I was a girl.
    Well, these guys mention the car in "Hotel California" but not me.

I also have a short story.
    My whole name is Marķa de las Mercedes. It's a Spanish queen name. This queen died very young, she was only 16.

My parents had a LP of a folk singer. There was a song entitled "Romance de la reina Mercedes" I was a very shy girl and when I listened to this song surrounded by my family I blushed when I heard my name.
    Last edited by takeiteasy; 10-12-2018 at 05:18 PM.

That is a very nice story!

There is no special story attached to my name, really. When my mother was a child, she would sometimes pretend to be a famous actress, and she would call herself "Nancy Kay Superstar." When I was born, she chose the name "Nancy Kay" for her second child.

I was actually going to be "Karen Kay" because my dad liked the name Karen, but my last name also begins with a "K" and in the South, we like monograms. Monogrammed sweaters, monogrammed bags - monograms are everywhere. A monogram sporting the initials KKK would not make the right kind of statement here. Therefore, my younger sister got the name "Karen" and her middle name begins with an "L."

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten