Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Listen to a Song Challenge Thread

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Listen to a Song Challenge Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
    Wha-Koo - You're Such A Fabulous Dancer

I always wondered what happened to Palmer after he left Steely Dan -- has a great voice. Did three albums with a guy, then did more backup vocals, and has been a digital graphics guy for the past 15-20 years..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryh5vVTK_1s
    Thanks for this - never heard it before (nor ever seen what Palmer looks like).

Delilah, well spotted about the tambourine player, it sure does look like the dude from the first Silverados

If someone likes vocals and harmonies and earlier 74 and prior Eagles, they MUST give this song a listen. New band called Midland. They are getting a LOT of comparisons to the guys in their first lineup. Very "smooth".

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eix1rbELtoM[/ame]

I'm really a guy who prefers the Walsh/Felder later period but this song is as smooth as butter and I'll admit, I can't stop listening and for me to say that, it must be good lol. The lead singer doesn't sound like Glenn, but with the sound and when they start harmonizing I immediately think first/second album Eagles.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

That's a very good song, well done. Doesn't remind me of the Eagles though, who had outstanding harmonies with each voice having definition and presence. Midland's harmonies, at least on this song played on computer speakers, are muted and very much in the background.

Still a good song though.

I agree Walshfan, it is a good song, but I think it's a little too country for the early Eagles. Maybe it's the refrain, which sounds just like the one in David Ball's "Thinkin' Problem" --a straight-up country song. In fact, at first I thought Midland was doing some kind of revamped cover version. Since this is a "listen to a song" thread, I'll post it here for comparison.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YUqXWWb_ifA[/ame]

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Interesting. They are being billed by the label in press and such as sounding like and being the new Eagles. To me they have that same smooth processed country rock sound as heard on the first album. The vocals to me are defined enough that you can tell who is doing what part but it's a combined effect. As far as an Eagles song comparison, I hear a little TLHTM although different progression. It just sounds like california country rock to me.

Thinkin' Problem sounds similar in the refrain but I think it's different enough that it won't cause for any lawsuits. I prefer the Midland song, again it's very "Eagles" to me. I guess everyone hears it differently. To me one of the guys sounds very much like Henley with the higher voice, the lead singer has a deeper voice than Glenn though.