One thing I’ve noticed recently is the wide range of musical tastes that Borderers have. For example, I know that there are quite a lot of fans of Keith Urban here, yet we also have quite a few fans of old school rock and roll bands like Guns N Roses. On a personal level, I’m not the only big fan of Pink Floyd here, and I’m not the only person who tends to prefer the ‘classic’ bands, but there’s also plenty of people who listen to a lot of contemporary music. I think it’s pretty great how the Eagles and their music can bring together people with such different tastes!

What I’d really love to know is which other artists are most popular on The Border and I’ve been wondering about how best to measure this for a while. So my idea is to ask people for their top 10 (non-Eagles) artists. This can include bands and solo artists.

I really want this to be inclusive as possible, so you can list your favourites in order of preference, but you don’t have to put them in any order at all. The scoring system is very simple and will hopefully be fair – each mention of an artist is worth one point, and I’ll keep a record and tally up the number of mentions to create a list of the most popular artists. If enough people post I’d be happy to put this list up. If you feel ten is too many, you don’t have to name ten, although I think any list should have at least 5-6 artists at the very least. If you find it difficult to decide you can give honourable mentions if you wish, although only the top ten will be counted as I think this is fairer.

This list is open to all artists except for the Eagles and their solo works. This is partly because I think the results might be a bit predictable! More importantly though, it wouldn’t really answer my question. Having said this, it’s absolutely fine to include bands that Eagles members played in like Poco or The Flying Burrito Brothers. I’d love to hear from as many people as possible, as this will provide a better and more complete picture of our collective tastes. Really looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I will post my own list later!

Thanks
Jonny