Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Favorite Female Musician

Default Re: Favorite Female Musician

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    Michaels was at the Barret-Jackson Auction in Phoenix helping to raise money for Children's Diabetes. He is a Diabetic himself. At the end of the auction, it was noted that he goes in for surgery either Today or Monday though they didn't say what it was for.
    Oh! Well, I wish him all the best. He has certainly been through a lot over the past year or so!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I was searching the 'Singing for the Sake Of the Song' threads to see if I could find one for a specific band (I haven't, but I'll come back to that) and found several great threads I wanted to comment on, if I may...

This one intrigued me... As a rule, I listen to far more male vocalists or artists, for no specific reason. The female vocalists/muso's I do listen to don't make a very long list as I really need to love the songs they write and perform.

When I consider 'favourite' or 'best' artists, I take into account albums or songs I still listen to regularly, be it newly released music or much older. I consider Sgt. Peppers by The Beatles, for example, a truly classic album but I don't play it every couple of weeks.

So on that basis, in no particular order:

Tracy Chapman (Had the honour of seeing her live twice in 1996, and I completely fell in love with her... She ended the one concert alone on stage with no instruments, singing Amazing Grace... she brought me to tears it was so beautiful... She released an album called Where You Live in 2005 which is a regular Sunday album for us... It's simply magnificent)

Shawn Colvin (I love her voice and that she doesn't write the usual 'love' songs. Not a huge fan of her last album though, unfortunately)

Bonnie Raitt (Great songwriter, great guitarist, does the definitive version of I Can't Make You Love Me)

Alison Krauss (One of the best voices in the world today, IMO. And it has to be said... She's VERY easy on the eye...)

Norah Jones (Has really started coming into her own lately, and again, great musician and vocalist)

Karen Zoid (Not a name I expect many of you to be familiar with, a South African singer-songwriter who is just incredible on stage. She is one of the few artists who sings in both English and Afrikaans whom I listen to regularly)

Zolani Mahola (Lead vocalist of a South African band named Freshlyground. She has a natural, beautiful voice and the music is so fresh and uplifting)

Here is a clip of Karen with Zolani doing an acoustic cover of Leonard Cohen's Suzanne... Wish I had gone to this gig.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IAcyVl1YSQ[/ame]

*EDIT* Can't believe I left out Edie Brickell... Another of my favourite female voices and song writers... A song she released a few years back called What Would You Do is my wife's favourite song.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Td3YLtmpQ[/ame]
    Last edited by SteveJoburg; 07-06-2013 at 03:43 AM.

I woke up this morning with an attitude
    looked at the headline, put me in a real bad mood

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

I have two favvies and they are: Lisa Kelly and Lorena McKennett. I will have to say that they have a very amazing range in their voices and I find them fascinating. Their songs are simply incredible!!! I adore both of them.

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

How about Miss Peggy Lee?