Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Business As Usual

Stuck on the Border

Default Business As Usual

I just read TF's comment about this song in the new Survivor topic. I'd been meaning to start a topic on it, so here goes.

Here the band sounds rather tired. Even the 'whoah whoahs', though I like them, sound tired. It's like an outtake from Inside Job.

The lyric is all over the place. What does the 'prettiest White House' part have to do with the rest of the song except that it's a 'monument to arrogance', I guess. And all that 'grinding away'.... it must be so hard to be a multimillionaire.

It isn't that I don't LIKE the song, but out of all Don's tracks on this album, this is the one I'd discard first.

Ironically, I do like this one! I guess I'm going against type here, eh? Admittedly I find political criticism much more palatable than religious criticism. As the years have passed I've realized no political party has really got their act together, and I can understand the frustrations on both sides. Maybe that's why I appreciate "Business As Usual." It's more inclusive. Henley applies the criticism internally before doing it externally. I appreciate that. The rest of the lyrics also make sense to me; I can understand why he feels that way. There I go again, hyper-analyzing the lyrics! As I said before though, that's just the way I am! For me to get into a song, I have to appreciate where it's coming from.

However, I like the music, too. I guess it does sound like a Henley solo song, but honestly, that didn't occur to me when I first heard it. For me the song really starts working with the "I thought that I would be above it all by now..." the melody picks up, and then the building rhythm to the full stop - that's so effective. The chorus is actually catchy to me and I like the "woah-woah"s.

The inclusion of the "prettiest White House" works because the workings of politics, as I said before, are "business as usual" no matter where you turn. It's a progression from the personal to the global.

And I LOVE that "soul-suckin', soul-suckin', soul-suckin'" part! I also enjoy the guitar solo that comes right after it.

I think the only weakness to the song is that it does get off to a slow start and the ending could be a bit more powerful, as it just kind of peters out. But otherwise I really like it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

You know I'm not good analyzing the lyrics so I want to limit my opinion to the music and voices.

However, I like the music, too. I guess it does sound like a Henley solo song, but honestly, that didn't occur to me when I first heard it. For me the song really starts working with the "I thought that I would be above it all by now..." the melody picks up, and then the building rhythm to the full stop - that's so effective. The chorus is actually catchy to me and I like the "woah-woah"s.
    And I LOVE that "soul-suckin', soul-suckin', soul-suckin'" part! I also enjoy the guitar solo that comes right after it.
    Before I repeat in my own words what Soda said I better quote her because these are my thoughts exactly

Stuck on the Border

I don't like the 'soul sucking' part. That is Don Henley, not the Eagles.

The song is so negative. It does not offer one skerrick of consolation. At least FGOTBP has some humour.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    The song is so negative. It does not offer one skerrick of consolation. At least FGOTBP has some humour.
    If you're looking for black humor, the "surfing in Century City" part qualifies, I think.

Default Re: Business As Usual

Reviving this thread. Again, this is my fave of Don's "message" songs on LROOE.

Stuck on the Border

I like it a great deal more than I did. I'm surprised by what I wrote here; but I still don't like the 'soul sucking' part much.

Here are the lyrics.

Look at the weather, look at the news
    Look at all the people in denial
    We're burning time, bleeding grace
    Still we worship at the marketplace
    While common sense is goin' out of style
    I thought that I would be above it all by now
    In some country garden in the shade
    But it's business as usual
    Day after day
    Business as usual
    Just grinding away
    You try to be righteous
    You try to do good
    But business as usual
    Turn your heart into wood
    Monuments to arrogance reach for the sky
    Our better natures buried in the rubble
    We got the prettiest White House that money can buy
    Sitting up there in that beltway bubble
    And when "El Jefe" talks about our freedom
    Here is what he really means...
    Business as usual
    How dirty we play
    Business as usual
    Don't you get in the way
    Makes you feel helpless
    Makes you feel like a clown
    Business as usual
    Is breakin' me down
    Boy, you can't go surfing in Century City
    Yeah, them sharks out there are lurking beneath the curl
    Yeah, they rob you blind and chew you up, and it ain't pretty
    And it's a soul suckin', soul suckin', soul suckin', soul suckin'
    Soul suckin', soul suckin' world
    Business as usual
    Day after day
    Business as usual
    Feel like walking away
    A barrel of monkeys
    A band of renown
    Business as usual
    Is breakin' me down
    Breakin' me down
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I've liked this song from the very beginning!! I like what Soda said about it being a "message" song. Sure is!!! If you can't figure out what these words are about, you've got your head in the sand. With lines like, "While common sense is goin' out of style" and "Monuments to arrogance reach for the sky", it's pretty obvious.

And for the record, love "It's a soul suckin', soul suckin', soul suckin'..... world".
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I love the 'soul-suckin' part too. In fact I love the whole chorus. The verses are also intelligent and make you think. This song is another example of Don's brilliant ability to make political commentary interesting.

I realize he cowrote this with Stewart Smith, but I think he probably is responsible for all the lyrics on this one since Smith is the guitarist they hired to replace Felder so I'm assuming his contribution would be more musical.
    ~Sara