Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil Collins / Genesis

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Phil Collins / Genesis

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    I find it hard to associate the word "weird" with the Collins era of the band. To me, weird nicely sums up some of the Gabriel era songs. I prefer the word "quirky". A perfect song for that word is Robbery, Assault, and Battery off of Trick of the Tail, which is a Collins/Banks song (it's also my favorite song on the album). The music is a bit out there, but it's very catchy. I think that even later songs like I Can't Dance can be described as quirky. Just my 2 cents, though.
    A good word. I find Me & Sarah Jane quirky. The story is bizarre. Some of the chord progressions are strange. The overall structure is bizarre. If you tore the song apart, you wouldn't think that a lot of those bits can work in the same song. But they do!

You mentioned Robbery, Assault, and Battery. There's a nice bit in the instrumental section. When you play it on a guitar or keyboards, you'll find that Tony's fingers move very little when he moves from one chord to another. But still it's a unique chord progression.
    I'm talking about the progression of eight chords that starts at 3:21 mark:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ui-HncKTz4

That kind of darker (or quirkier) Banksian stuff ended with Me & Sarah Jane IMO. It came back on Calling All Stations.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    A good word. I find Me & Sarah Jane quirky. The story is bizarre. Some of the chord progressions are strange. The overall structure is bizarre. If you tore the song apart, you wouldn't think that a lot of those bits can work in the same song. But they do!

You mentioned Robbery, Assault, and Battery. There's a nice bit in the instrumental section. When you play it on a guitar or keyboards, you'll find that Tony's fingers move very little when he moves from one chord to another. But still it's a unique chord progression.
    I'm talking about the progression of eight chords that starts at 3:21 mark:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ui-HncKTz4

That kind of darker (or quirkier) Banksian stuff ended with Me & Sarah Jane IMO. It came back on Calling All Stations.
    When it comes to chord progressions and changes, it's like your speaking Finnish to me Chaim. . I do see the part in Robbery, Assault, and Battery that you're talking about.

I still need to give Calling All stations a listen. I bought it on cd several months ago and it's been collecting dust ever since.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border

When it comes to chord progressions and changes, it's like your speaking Finnish to me Chaim. . I do see the part in Robbery, Assault, and Battery that you're talking about.

I still need to give Calling All stations a listen. I bought it on cd several months ago and it's been collecting dust ever since.
    ¨
    IMO it's a criminally underrated album. Even Phil, who wasn't involved, has said that people didn't give it the chance it deserved. It's a rather dark album, and I can see that people who loved Invisible Touch, the song, might hate it. I love the fact that the more adventurous "Banksian chords" were back in some of the songs. On the other hand, Mike has said many times that he didn't realize how far apart he and Tony were musically until there wasn't Phil between them to smooth things out. Mike has also said that because they were so different, they would have needed a third writer if they had continued together.

Chord talk is like reading Finnish? Ei kai nyt sentään.

¨
    IMO it's a criminally underrated album. Even Phil, who wasn't involved, has said that people didn't give it the chance it deserved. It's a rather dark album, and I can see that people who loved Invisible Touch, the song, might hate it. I love the fact that the more adventurous "Banksian chords" were back in some of the songs. On the other hand, Mike has said many times that he didn't realize how far apart he and Tony were musically until there wasn't Phil between them to smooth things out. Mike has also said that because they were so different, they would have needed a third writer if they had continued together.

Chord talk is like reading Finnish? Ei kai nyt sentään.
    I love the darker side of Genesis, so I'll probably like the album then. I also love songs like That's All and Invisible Touch. So far, I've yet to come across a Genesis song that I hated. No Son of Mine is my favorite song of theirs, which is probably one of their darkest songs lyrically. I'll dig out Calling All Stations when I get a chance to.

So Phil was the glue that held the band together. It's hard for most fans to picture someone else singing besides Phil or Peter, I think.

As for the Finnish, google translated it as: Surely now, after all.
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border

I love the darker side of Genesis, so I'll probably like the album then. I also love songs like That's All and Invisible Touch. So far, I've yet to come across a Genesis song that I hated. No Son of Mine is my favorite song of theirs, which is probably one of their darkest songs lyrically. I'll dig out Calling All Stations when I get a chance to.

As for the Finnish, google translated it as: Surely now, after all.
    I think "surely not?" would be a more accurate translation.

I think "surely not?" would be a more accurate translation.
    Ah, I understand. We have a saying for when you can't understand something. "It's like speaking Greek to me". Since you're from Finland(correct me if I'm wrong), I changed it to make a joke.

Anyways, back to Genesis.
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border

Regarding those photos I had seen a lot of them because I now have the Chapter & Verse book. They really did look like hippies in a few of those you posted, one in particular where Peter's hair was really long. The last one of the three originals caught my eye as well when I was looking at photos the other day. I have to say that the photos I have been saving are indeed from the Collins era, post Hackett.

Regarding CAS I have only heard the title track & seen the videos which are on The Video Show. Congo; good song. Not Genesis.

Wouldn't you class Domino as quirky & Banksian? What about TonightX3 which is one of the darkest things they ever wrote. I was listening to Do You Know, Do You Care yesterday & I thought 'this obviously continues from Face Value but it paves the way for that song'. I am much better at analysing lyrics than I am music, which I can't do at all.

It was bugging me yesterday that Mike had been on Top Gear. You can see him along with Brian Johnson & Charles Dance from Game Of Thrones at about 42:00. Richard Hammond is notorious for his dislike of Genesis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5nquKlfTb8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRzLquFQZ-8
    Last edited by Freypower; 09-15-2015 at 07:22 PM.

Stuck on the Border

I was going to mention Tonight, Tonight, Tonight, but then I deleted it. Domino came to mind too. (both great songs) Although I know a bit of technical/theory stuff, I still couldn't quite explain why I don't consider those as connected to their old days as Me & Sarah Jane.

IMO Domino is "different", but within their 80's style. Maybe it's the same with TTT. Domino is very much a Banks song. Even the lyrics are his. The guitar riff, on the other hand, is very Mike and very 80's IMO.

But TTT and Domino don't scream "Banks!" or "old Genesis!" to me as much as Me & Sarah Jane does. It's my fault that I can't quite explain why. I should be able to explain it, since I'm the one who brought it up. The "quirky" piano playing in M&SJ might have something to do with it. Maybe I'll conclude this by saying that M&SJ was a song where Tony was still "let loose", while the two other songs have been "polished" by Phil and Mike and the 80's production/arranging style.

Banned

I find it hard to associate the word "weird" with the Collins era of the band. To me, weird nicely sums up some of the Gabriel era songs. I prefer the word "quirky". A perfect song for that word is Robbery, Assault, and Battery off of Trick of the Tail, which is a Collins/Banks song (it's also my favorite song on the album). The music is a bit out there, but it's very catchy. I think that even later songs like I Can't Dance can be described as quirky. Just my 2 cents, though.
    The quirky thing about I Can't Dance is that Tony played all the percussion stuff on his keyboard. ie. it's not adrum machine. It had a fabulous video and was quite something live too, with Phil on pretend harmonica and Michael Jackson dance steps

It's very interesting hearing you girls talking about the old "weird and quirky" Genesis material. All the band members will say that they didn't have any female fans until Follow You, Follow Me became a hit single in 1978. A large majority of their international audience was spotty adolescent boys, who I think have stuck with them through the decades, despite the general opinion being, that the 80s and beyond stuff isn't as good as the classic early (obscure) stuff.

I half like Robbery, Assault And Battery. My favourite tracks on Trick Of The Tail are Mad Man Moon, Ripples and the title track. I love Tony's mellotron during Entangled. Dance On A Volcano and Los Endos are brilliant live.

I think Tony's most popular Genesis tracks are Firth Of Fifth, Afterglow and One For The Vine..... pre Follow You, Follow Me, anyway.

Stuck on the Border

A Trick Of The Tail was the first Genesis album I heard. I fell in love with it. For a while I didn't know that Peter Gabriel had been in Genesis. I must confess that when I was a teenager, I was an "old school" fan. I avoided their 80's stuff. The covers alone made me turn away.

Then, years later, at some point I actually started to listen to Genesis (the album) and Invisible Touch, and I noticed that they actually contain great songs! We Can't Dance contains some great stuff and some stuff I don't care for at all. Tell Me Why, for example, seems to me like another "let's be worried about the less fortunate people for a few minutes and then go eat a nice, juicy stake" song. I'm probably the only person on the planet who doesn't care for No Son Of Mine. The "concerned" Phil just does nothing for me. Even Driving The Last Spike. I think Phil chose a great subject there, but his way of writing and singing that kind of stuff is too naive IMO. I Can't Dance and Jesus He Knows Me are brilliant. Tony once said that when they were in the USA and saw a TV evangelist on TV for the first time, they thought it was a comedy. When Phil gets funny, not many can touch him. When he gets "concerned"...

I still find the Invisible Touch chorus intolerable. I still can't stand In Too Deep (sorry, Freypower). But I like most of that stuff a lot. And it's not like their early stuff didn't contain any filler material.