Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tom Petty...

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

Default Re: Tom Petty...

Ohhhh boy. You guys have one of my favourite singers in here!!!!!!!! I adore Tom Petty's work. I had most of the albums (until they got stolen) and I would listen to those babies constantly. LOL a lot of people would make fun of me for loving Tom Petty. I love all of his songs. I went to one of his concerts, and let me tell you that his music still blows me away!!!!! This man is a legend in my eyes. His music will live on.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTAhZKP5wCY[/ame]

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

For all the Boarders out there who have Directv or who get the Audience channel, they are showing the Running Down a Dream documentary this Monday, July 28. I know it's a few years old, but I've never seen it and am looking forward to it.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Must see if it's on Dish! Thanks for the heads up tjh!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I recorded it and watched it later. I had to actually watch it in two parts - it's four hours long! It was well done, but I liked the Eagles one better (and not just because of the subject matter! ha). I just think that it was too long. But other than that it was really well done. I don't think I really realized just how much music he has made, and how familiar with it I was. I think because he has just been fabulous all these years, but not really a person who seeks the limelight or is a big party person/celebrity, that he seems to fly under the radar a bit. Anyway, I would recommend it to anyone who likes documentaries about the music business, not just Tom Petty fans. Just make sure you have four hours available

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, tjh!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I wish I could see it. I did look and even searched for it, but not on dish.

I really like TP, but have not seen him live, in concert. He really does have lots of hits that we have on the ipod and listen to frequently. I also enjoy documentaries. Maybe it will come out on dvd.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Border Troubadour prayfordaylight's Avatar

I managed to watch the first half this weekend. It was definitely worth it even if you're not a hardcore fan. I never realized how dire the MCA lawsuit situation was.

My stepbrother and BIL are going to see him next month. They snagged 3rd row seats. So jealous.
    -Ali

You can see the stars and still not see the light.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I've saw TP a few times in concert and adore him and his music. I was really excited about the new album but I have to admit, I'm not crazy about it. Actually, I really don't care much for it at all. I'm not sure what it is about it but it just doesn't seem up to the usual TP standards. Seems almost forced or something. Anyone else?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I love Tom Petty and I'm glad he's still releasing music, but yeah, it's not his best work.

BTW, I saw Running Down the Dream several years ago when I was dating a huge TP fan. It was a bit overlong for me, but I'd imagine it's a hardcore's dream.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Not a fan of the new album. Mojo was much better IMO... This one seems a bit....commercial?

Nonetheless, Tom's an american original and one of the stick-it-to-the-man types that today's music sorely needs. He says it like he means it. I'm glad there are guys like Dave Grohl who also continue to carry that on and remind people of what real human music is, not game show-created, auto-tuned drivel.

I certainly love his music, especially Damn The Torpedoes. And Mike Campbell is much like Joe or Lindsey, he plays for the song and doesn't overplay - much like George Harrison (which IIRC is his idol).