Page 215 of 301 FirstFirst ... 115165205211212213214215216217218219225265 ... LastLast
Results 2,141 to 2,150 of 3010

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press (2006 - 2017)

Border Troubadour

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

I highly doubt it would be the ideal outcome if they employed him - it legitimises and creates incentives for what he does, which is exactly what Henley, Frey et al are against! It also demonstrates that what is, let's be honest, wrongdoing, can sometimes come with reward instead of penalty.

More generally, I find it interesting that if the guys are as money-oriented as they are made out to be, why they haven't cashed in on it yet with DVDs: they sat on the HOTE bonus concert footage for 35 years when they could easily have released the whole thing separately and charged an extra £20 ($31.36 )...

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    All the 70s > 90s musicians should be thankful that they surfaced at just about the only time in history when recording music was actually financially lucrative.
    I've heard this argument before by others, and while there's something to it, when you think about the reasons why recording music is not financially lucrative now, it's a very sad commentary on society. So no, I don't think they should just be thankful and leave it alone and allow it to become futile. As a person whose livelihood depends on the writing and licensing of software, I absolutely believe in the concept of intellectual property and copyrights. I wish others had the morals and integrity to do the same. It's time for all people to just stop saying 'everyone does it' and realize it doesn't matter, it's still wrong.

Everyone should remember that the measure of a person's character is what they do when no one else is looking. Those with character also stand up for what's right, even if it makes them look 'uncool'. I happen to think that standing up for yourself and for those who can't stand up for themselves IS pretty cool.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I highly doubt it would be the ideal outcome if they employed him - it legitimises and creates incentives for what he does, which is exactly what Henley, Frey et al are against! It also demonstrates that what is, let's be honest, wrongdoing, can sometimes come with reward instead of penalty.

More generally, I find it interesting that if the guys are as money-oriented as they are made out to be, why they haven't cashed in on it yet with DVDs: they sat on the HOTE bonus concert footage for 35 years when they could easily have released the whole thing separately and charged an extra £20 ($31.36 )...
    And why did they never release an LROOE tour DVD, and why have they not released an HOTE tour DVD?

And then they act all shocked when this sort of thing happens, while they continue to stick their collective heads in the sand. Some bands like Rush release a Blu Ray for every singe tour they do (although they tend to change their setlists around more).

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    And why did they never release an LROOE tour DVD, and why have they not released an HOTE tour DVD?
    Indeed - I can't really comment on the LROOE tour as I wasn't as into the Eagles all that much back then, but I would have thought if the Eagles were ever able to flog a DVD it would be one of this tour. Of course they may not announce it until it's finished next March, but even then they would say something at the concert like TBS does in Melbourne. Of course they may film Down Under next year, but I can't imagine they'd release two consecutive DVDs from the same country, especially as surely a filmed History concert would be more appropriate in the likes of California, not some random city in Europe or Oceania.

We can but live in hope I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    As a person whose livelihood depends on the writing and licensing of software, I absolutely believe in the concept of intellectual property and copyrights. I wish others had the morals and integrity to do the same. It's time for all people to just stop saying 'everyone does it' and realize it doesn't matter, it's still wrong.
    I can't bring myself to pirate music....and I'm not a fan of the iTunes Store - so I go out, buy the CD if I like it, and then rip the songs into iTunes so they will work on my all-Apple ecosystem (iPhone, iPod, iPad, Macs, etc). It would be very easily to download every song I could ever want via torrent or P2P but I wouldn't feel right doing it. But if I'm not interested in the whole CD, then I don't get the singles, it's simple as that. I'm just not a fan of the iTunes Store. There is a part of me that wants a physical product to keep and not worry about losing it out in the cloud. Then again if fire would take your house, there goes your music. It's a double-edged sword.

Now Pandora, Spotify, etc and streaming services not paying enough to songwriters/musicians/record labels/etc is a whole other can of worms. I do use Spotify. Sometimes I feel bad for it, but a lot of musicians I know use Spotify both locally and some big name sidemen and artists, so its a problem IMO.

Banned

I don't think the Eagles are totally motivated by money,

I think they still put authenticity and integrity before profit although the live shows are becoming more and more showy to cover for their dwindling vocal capabilities and Long Road Out Of Eden must be the least authentic of all the Eagles albums, in terms of session players playing rather than band members.

The band made huge amounts of money from LP sales in the 70s then doubled it without lifting a finger when the record industry rammed CD's down the record buying fraternity's throats, then there was Videos and DVD to squeeze more profit from past labours.

The band are rich enough to resist being motivated by money. Even Randy and Bernie earn enough from the 4 or 5 years they did in the early 70s to live comfortably for they rest of their lives.

Since computers and digital recording came along the record companies have lost control of the industry, after decades of ripping off the artists and the fans, they've suddenly lost all their power and influence. These are the guys that told us "Home taping is killing music." Now they tell us that sharing is stealing.

Record shops have closed down. Four times I went out to buy Glenn's last album, nobody had it on sale! Vinyl producers, cassette and even CD manufactures have gone to the wall but a whole load of new IT industries have come in to replace them. It's just progress. Their is still money to be made but more importantly the music is just as it ever was.

It always seemed unfair to me that I paid more money to buy hit albums that I ended up only playing once or twice before shelving them, than I did for Joe's Barnstorm album, that didn't even make the charts when released, that I bought for a bargain price, yet I've played hundreds, maybe thousands of times. Payment by number of plays does seem a fairer system to me.

It's also worth mentioning that although Glenn felt he and Don deserved twice as much money as the other Eagles, when they resumed for HFO because they were the ones keeping the Eagles name alive, he quite openly agrees that it was classic rock radio that kept them in the public eye for those 14 years... and the radio stations were paying the Eagles for that privilege. If Glenn and Don were worth a premium, surely the radio stations should get a cut.

The classic rock radio stations that brought great wealth to the Eagles, have now been superseded by Youtube. A format that the Eagles will have nothing to do with. If they showed that attitude with radio in the early 70s, how different life would've been for them and us.

I'm sorry and saddened to read how guilty you feel about listening to some music formats WalshFan88. Music can stir many emotions but guilt really shouldn't be one of them. The next time you hear Henley saying how much he was influenced and inspired by all those guys he heard on his radio as a kid, just remember he didn't pay a penny for the privilege.

Sorry for ranting sorta off topic. I'm off to listen to some Eagles music that may or may not be legitimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post

It's also worth mentioning that although Glenn felt he and Don deserved twice as much money as the other Eagles, when they resumed for HFO because they were the ones keeping the Eagles name alive, he quite openly agrees that it was classic rock radio that kept them in the public eye for those 14 years... and the radio stations were paying the Eagles for that privilege. If Glenn and Don were worth a premium, surely the radio stations should get a cut.
    Believe me, here in the US, anyway, the radio stations got the biggest cut of all. They play music they don't own a copyright for, and they play it for free. They charge people and businesses huge amounts of money (or it used to be huge) for advertising and raked in money that the artists and record companies never saw. The argument was that it was radio play that sold the albums and sold the tickets for tours, and while it's a valid argument, the fact remains ClearChannel and Westwood One were built on the backs of singers and songwriters, and buy exploiting material they didn't own a copyright to. Here in the US, Satellite and Internet must pay royalties by law, the but the broadcast radio stations are still on a free ride, although the ride isn't as high as it used to be. Many other countries require radio stations to pay royalties.
    VK

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I have to agree with you, VA.

And with regard to the amount of money the band makes, it's much more involved than just making enough money to live comfortable for the rest of their lives. I think it is also worth pointing out that the income the band generates is far from just direct profit for them. Just for beginners, there is a tremendous amount of overhead in running a huge corporation and employing hundreds or perhaps even thousands of people.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I'm going to start a new thread about streaming in the Singer/Song forum because I don't to veer too far off track, yet it's a good topic. The idea that legally paying per play is somehow wrong is not one I subscribe to.

My new thread is here.

In short: Stealing is wrong, but piracy is a non-issue nowadays because of streaming. Instead of being happy about that, some artists are still grousing that it's not enough.

So an artist doesn't get as much money as he/she thinks he/she deserves? Welcome to the reality most of us live every day.

The market determines prices for all of us; in the case of streaming, the price has lowered for fans. I remember paying $20 for a CD in the 1990s when I only knew a couple of the songs, and I just had to hope the rest were OK, since record companies no longer offered singles. I was in college, and I was only able to afford about one CD a month, maybe two. Thank God those days are gone.

Heaven knows the artists don't seem to mind letting the market determine prices when it comes to concert tickets...

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

The Rolling Stone has a more detailed article today, and they avoided speaking in 'lyricese', which makes it a nicer read. They also have references to other recent legal action on the part of the guys.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ce=twitterfeed

If your language of choice is Pig Latin, here ya go:
    http://www.gossippiggy.com/2014/11/3...rformances/?tb
    VK