Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: The Border Book Club

Good deal. I've got a coupon for Borders and I'll go over there to see if they have it. If not, I'll probably try Amazon too.

My favorite romance writers are:

Elizabeth Lowell - her romances are HOT HOT HOT and her suspense is good too. Her books Only Love, Winter Fire, and Forbidden are my very favorite romances.

Sandra Brown - unlike a lot of romance writers who switch to writing "harder" suspense novels, her suspense is actually stronger than her soft romances. The Witness was the best romance/suspense novel I've ever read.

Jodi Thomas - she's tamer, but a great storyteller. I haven't read her suspense, just her historical romance, so I can't speak for that. As I said, some writers don't make that transition well.

Christine Feehan - She specializes in "paranormal" romance. I'm really into her "Game" series and her magical sisters series. Her vampire ones, the "dark" series, are not my cup of tea. Her only drawback is that her books are usually very violent. One of her softer books was a Christmas romance entitled "After the Music" - I got it as part of a collection called The Wicked and the Wondrous. The lead character reminds me a LOT of Don Henley. I even wondered if she'd based him partially on Don.

Ana Leigh - she's another tamer historical romance writer, but good. I got turned on to her when I went on a blind date with her son.

Amanda Quick - her suspense/romances are good at also having some laughs, and I like the historical settings of many of her books. She specializes in the "Regency" era.

Recently I've been turned on to Gaelyn Foley, and I like what I've read so far.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I've been reading Stephen King's Cell. You will never want to use a cell phone again (I don't have one). He has a funny sub theme about 'phoners' who only like muzak like Lawrence Welk although later they graduate to 'popular' classics like Pachelbel's Canon. I recommend it.

Still working my way through John Grisham.

I'm reading "The Last Juror" at the mo.

I started "A Time To Kill" but the first few pages were a bit gory so I put it down.................. BUT I will pluck up the courage to start it again.

I enjoyed "The Chamber" too.

Another author I'm enjoying is Harry Bowling............he writes sagas about Bermondsey (East London) set in the 20's to 50's. He's another one who writes page turners. I can sit or lie down and read for hours LOL

Another author I would recommend is Maeve Binchy - her books are set in Ireland and very readable.
    I want total sensory deprivation and back-up drugs :O)

I just finished Whispers by Lisa Jackson. Her use of Hotel California was really clever. Thanks for the rec!

I just checked out Walden from the library. It's been forever since I've read it. I also checked out a biography about Henry David Thoreau.
    How can love survive in such a graceless age?

Default Re: Some Glenn animations!

Soda, it just hit me what all of these animated avatars running in a string down the page reminds me of (and this may mean absolutely nothing to you, because I don't picture you in the demographic to hit these movies, but let me try it): They look like the paintings on the walls of Hogwarts in the Harry Potter movies , where the subjects are moving about within the frames...and can actually move to another painting if necessary!
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

lol! I'm not a Harry Potter fan, but I have two friends who are absolutely nuts about those books. I've seen all the HP movies with them, so I know exactly what you're talking about!

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesvet View Post
    Soda, it just hit me what all of these animated avatars running in a string down the page reminds me of (and this may mean absolutely nothing to you, because I don't picture you in the demographic to hit these movies, but let me try it): They look like the paintings on the walls of Hogwarts in the Harry Potter movies , where the subjects are moving about within the frames...and can actually move to another painting if necessary!
    You are so right!!!! I hadn't thought about that! (BTW---I am a HUGE HP fan thanks to my 18 year old son!)
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Why do you think I ended up reading (and loving) the books? I figured I'd better know all of the details of Hogwarts, given I probably was going to be immersed in them via both sons for at least 10 years or so! I absolutely love the books; the only thing is, I try to read them just before each movie comes out....so I am probably the only fan who has yet to actually find out who the half-blood prince is!! (I'm just about to find out, though, as I am about 1/3 of the way throught that volume.) It has been difficult keeping the secret from being spilled, but I've managed. Soda, the books are umpteen times better than the movies, I am sure your friends have told you. The books do help you fill in the info from the movies, that's for sure.
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

EV-The half blood prince is... nah, wouldn't really do that. I don't know how you kept from reading all the books all at once. That's what I ended up doing. The whole family was coming out of the theater after seeing the last movie and I told Dillon to give me the next book because I needed to know what was going to happen. He refused to and said I had to start with book #1 and read them all. I agreed to and didn't stop for 2 months. I was very lucky because book #7 had just came out so I was able to get thru all of them without having to wait. I remember starting #7 and texting my son, while he was at school, and asking "is Professor Snape a good guy or a bad guy? I need to know." His reply... "KEEP READING MOM!"

Oops--guess this isn't the place for this discussion. Should of started this up in the thread What Are You Reading in Cheap Wine.

Maybe next time Soda is up here I will send her home with all the books as homework!
    He sings it high, he plays it low