Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: computers

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: computers

Austin, I used Chrome mostly. And I thought I had it fixed, but I got a Fb notification just a bit ago. Grrr
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Austin, I used Chrome mostly. And I thought I had it fixed, but I got a Fb notification just a bit ago. Grrr
    Check your Chrome extensions to make sure you have no "funky" extensions in there. Anything with the name "facebook" or "social" I would nuke.

You can get to your extensions by copying and pasting this URL into your chrome url bar:

chrome://extensions/

Also, are the notifications coming from inside the browser or do they still show up when Chrome is closed? If they show when Chrome is closed it's something running inside of Windows itself, which is trickier to find but I could help you remotely if the above doesn't fix it.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Thanks for the opinion Austin. I've decided to buy 7 by the end of the year (I'll have to save up to get it). Since my laptop had 7 on it originally, it should work fine. I'm running CC cleanup and disc defrag to give me as much space on the hard drive as possible. The previous owner had alot of junk on the laptop that I don't need and forgot to erase. It's a 15 inch Dell 1545 inspiron with a 120 gig hand drive (currently has 60 gigs of free space). It's super lightweight compared to my uncle's laptop. I believe that getting it straighten out and up to date would be cheaper than buying another laptop.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Check your Chrome extensions to make sure you have no "funky" extensions in there. Anything with the name "facebook" or "social" I would nuke.

You can get to your extensions by copying and pasting this URL into your chrome url bar:

chrome://extensions/

Also, are the notifications coming from inside the browser or do they still show up when Chrome is closed? If they show when Chrome is closed it's something running inside of Windows itself, which is trickier to find but I could help you remotely if the above doesn't fix it.
    Found it, Austin! It was in Chrome under Notifications under Manage. There was a Facebook, allow. Deleted it and haven't seen another pop up!

Thanks once again!

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Found it, Austin! It was in Chrome under Notifications under Manage. There was a Facebook, allow. Deleted it and haven't seen another pop up!

Thanks once again!
    I forgot about Google's new notification service. I didn't realize it had FB capability.

TBH I've moved away from Google entirely other than YouTube (which is hard to do without and there is no good competitor in that regard).

I use a combination of Apple and Microsoft's services and don't use Chrome anymore. I'm a Safari guy mostly on Mac, Firefox on PC.

Stuck on the Border

I might mention something. Since we got Windows 10 I can no longer right click on a Photobucket photo to save it back to my PC. I have to download, copy to Paint & then save it. If I just want to save it I now have to use Chrome.

Also if I add a smiley in here now the text shows instead of the image before I submit the post, so says 'applause' before I post. I had trouble uploading this week's signature too until I realised I had to click 'Insert Signature' which then shows SIGPIC.

ETA: Now testing this in Chrome & the same thing happens. I haven't changed any settings.

Does anyone use screensavers and if so, where do you get them?

Stuck on the Border

I can't speak for others but I use my Photos folder as a screensaver. I have about 30 photos which I rotate on regular basis. You have to specify in the settings that you want to use that specific folder as a screensaver.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I can't speak for others but I use my Photos folder as a screensaver. I have about 30 photos which I rotate on regular basis. You have to specify in the settings that you want to use that specific folder as a screensaver.
    Thanks, Fp! That's what I've been doing for a while too.

Just thought someone might have a place where they download them from. It seems some of the ones I've tried started causing problems.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

The only screensaver I've ever used, was the Microsoft Windows one that came with the computer. My mom hates them, so she would always disable it. I do the same because I rarely leave the computer for more than 15 minutes when I'm using it.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time