Page 47 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Thread: The Border Book Club

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: The Border Book Club

The Genesis book came in today. It's bigger than I expected, a paperback coffee table book! Full of photos! The quality and bigness(I can that's a word) of the photos is beyond belief. I'm blown away! Can't wait til tonight when I can do more than just skim the book.

Fp, I highly suggest that you get this book if you can, for the photos alone!
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    The Genesis book came in today. It's bigger than I expected, a paperback coffee table book! Full of photos! The quality and bigness(I can that's a word) of the photos is beyond belief. I'm blown away! Can't wait til tonight when I can do more than just skim the book.

Fp, I highly suggest that you get this book if you can, for the photos alone!
    When I ordered it I could tell from the price that it would be a large format book. I now have a vague memory that I may have seen it several years ago & looked at it but didn't buy it. Now that I'm having this love affair with Genesis it seeems I need to have it.

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    Anyone read "Gone Girl"...I'd like to see the movie...but I think I want to read the book first...
    My son and I watched the movie out of curiosity and were both freaked out. It is not only a strange movie, it is very graphic. Neil Patrick Harris was in it and one of his scenes is absolutely gross. I would not recommend this movie. I do not think I can ever watch Rosamund Pike again. Bizarre/ Weird Alert.......

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    My son and I watched the movie out of curiosity and were both freaked out. It is not only a strange movie, it is very graphic. Neil Patrick Harris was in it and one of his scenes is absolutely gross. I would not recommend this movie. I do not think I can ever watch Rosamund Pike again. Bizarre/ Weird Alert.......
    I hated the ending of the book...and after reading it...I had no desire to see the movie...lol

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I watched it and agree it was pretty strange, but I liked it! I just look away when something icky is coming......
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Well, I just finished Steven Tylers book - definitely an eye-opener...how he is still alive after the amount of drugs etc he took, is a mystery!! When he settled down in the book, (the wording at the start was a bit mad), it was an interesting and very entertaining read - all the bands they opened for, how he writes his songs, and performs. He is a very talented man but I have to read Joe Perry's book now to get the other side of the story. All in all, a good read and thanks to the Border Book Club for recommending it

That's one thing that's missing from the Eagles. With Heaven and Hell, there is no counter-book to balance the stories and accusations from any of the other band members - they really are overdue their books at this point
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Well, I just finished reading the Genesis- Chapter and Verse book. Basically, if you're a Genesis fan, read this book. It's told from the viewpoint of the members. Well worth the money, imo. (Based on the Amazon prices, I got a steal, paying $15 shipped). My only complaint would be that like the HOTE doc, the recent years don't get discussed alot. From 1982-present is covered in about 80 pages.
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    Oh that's a shame. Thanks for the warning though - I dig Rosamund Pike and was going to rent the DVD just for her performance. I read the book and had mixed (mostly negative) feelings about it.

Since I'm in big sports mood (football, football ), I'm going to reread a book my mom bought be a few years ago called Baseball's best 1,000 by Derek Gentile. He writes a paragraph or two about each player, plus he includes the stats (some are incomplete, especially if the player was a Negro League player). He also includes several pages about early baseball, the Negro League, and Women's baseball. A pretty good read for fans of American baseball.

Chipper Jones made the list at #322 .
    -Kim-

My family held an auction at the reunion this year. We brought household items that we didn't want anymore, hoping that others would. The proceeds went toward next year's budget.

Well, there was 1 box and 2 bags of books. One box was full of books by my favorite author James Patterson. Most I already owned, but there was 1 that I didn't have, The 12th of Never(the 12th book in the Women's Murder Club series. I love that series!). Well, a sweet, elderly cousin bought the box(straight out, no bidding), but I had talked to her about the book, so she left it out for me to buy. When the auction came, most people knew that I wanted the book. I bid $10 and I got it! . I've read it before, but I plan on rereading it once I'm done with the baseball book.

The last item to be auctioned off was one of the bag of books. No one wanted it, so I bid $5 and I won. I was sitting next to one of my great aunts during the auction. After I bought the books, she asked me what kind of books I liked. I said murder, mystery, historical fiction/non fiction, drama, suspense (basically anything but romance). It turns out that the books were hers. She hoped that I would enjoy them. One book that I'm nearly positive I'll enjoy is Supreme Justice by Philip Margolin. On the front cover it says "a book of suspense". Perfect for me!

Now, the rest of these I'm not sure about. I'm going list them, and if anyone has read them or is familiar about the author, I'd like to know more(genres, if the book or author is good etc). The books that I don't think that I'll like, I'll give to one of grandmas.

So, the books:
    Acts of Love by Judith Michael
    A Tangled Web by Judith Michael
    The Hellion Bride by Catherine Coulter
    The Last Promise by Richard Paul Evans
    Danger Zone by Shirley Palmer
    Street Boys by Lorenzo Carcaterra
    Not a Sparrow Falls by Linda Nichols
    Family Ties by Danielle Steel
    Dangerous to Know by Barbara Taylor Bradford
    For the Roses by Julie Garwood
    -Kim-