Page 96 of 145 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100106 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Hi WKMB55! You ask an interesting, thought provoking question. I do feel we are in uncharted waters. There are certain music reviews and commentaries I have found very informative over the years. One in particular "Twilight of the Rock Gods." is quite good and worth a read. I think the new normal with artists and bands touring well into their 70's many with what I call "dream team" additions (name brand replacements with built in fan bases) to capitalize on the expendable income of classic rock baby boomers and attract younger fans with multi-band festivals is a BIG DEAL. Social media easily manipulated with fake news, comments and reviews.

Edited to Add

Sorry, this is rather disjointed. I will need to go back and clean it up lol, In the meantime for anyone interested here is a link to the Wall Street Journal March 2017 article by Neil Shah " Twilight of the Rock Gods".

I don't agree with everything the writer opines but a lot of what he says is based on available data and he makes a good case for his personal thoughts and feelings. Me? I am astounded at the amount of money touring brings in. Clearly the line of people who benefit (profit) from aging artists and acts like Paul McCartney, Brian Wilson, Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Springsteen, Jimmy Buffet etc still going out on the road singing the same songs they have been doing for decades is long and getting longer. Is anyone really going to criticize Sir Paul?

http://us.vocuspr.com/ViewAttachment...ZOryYvI6uCQ%3D
    Last edited by Dawn; 04-18-2018 at 01:28 AM.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by WKMB55 View Post
    I very seldom read entertainment reviews of any kind. Personally, I don't care for them. Maybe someone who is more familiar can answer my question. Have there always been reviewers who will write nothing but positive reviews for music groups if the price is right or is this a new trend?
    I don't know the answer to your question, MKMB55, but I will say that as long as I've been around (more than a little while), I have never heard of any entertainers paying for positive concert reviews before. This is a totally new concept that I'm still trying to wrap my head around. To me, it is absurd. It is one thing to market and advertise your brand, but if you have to pay people to say nice things about you, isn't that rather sad? Not to mention disingenuous.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I don't know the answer to your question, MKMB55, but I will say that as long as I've been around (more than a little while), I have never heard of any entertainers paying for positive concert reviews before. This is a totally new concept that I'm still trying to wrap my head around. To me, it is absurd. It is one thing to market and advertise your brand, but if you have to pay people to say nice things about you, isn't that rather sad? Not to mention disingenuous.
    Personally, when a band's management company, promoter, agent and/or publicist uses one of these firms I think it is a safe bet they are doing so with the expectation the services rendered are of help to their client ...

Social media more than any other phenomenon I can think of has enabled brands to market themselves and promote their agenda 24/7 thru Twitter, Facebook, Instgram etc. Hashtags Rule. Critical thinking is darn near obsolete.
    Last edited by Dawn; 04-20-2018 at 12:30 AM.

Stuck on the Border

Isn't it normal practice that the writers who give favourable reviews are more likely to be invited to release parties, given access to the performers for interviews etc? Whereas those who consistently write negatively might find that their press passes get lost and no one has time to speak to them. It seems to have been like that in the 70s and I can't see why it would have changed.

UTW - You are probably right that there has always been favoritism shown towards the friendliest press. But, I think what has seemed to have changed is that now there is money actually being exchanged to write positive reviews. That is the issue I have - just seems backwards and kind of 'icky' to me. Before, if a critic liked a band, they would write genuinely positive reviews, and then the band tended to like them back. Nowadays, bands are paying 'critics' to write positive reviews whether they really like the band or not. For me, that makes it hard to trust that what I read is genuine.

UTW and Dreamer you both make great points. I suppose two can play this game. Feel free to add your own hastag # opinion.

#NoGlennFreyNoEagles
    Last edited by Dawn; 04-20-2018 at 02:51 PM.

UTW - You are probably right that there has always been favoritism shown towards the friendliest press. But, I think what has seemed to have changed is that now there is money actually being exchanged to write positive reviews. That is the issue I have - just seems backwards and kind of 'icky' to me. Before, if a critic liked a band, they would write genuinely positive reviews, and then the band tended to like them back. Nowadays, bands are paying 'critics' to write positive reviews whether they really like the band or not. For me, that makes it hard to trust that what I read is genuine.
    The landscape has changed dramatically. In the early days before CABLE TV and the INTERNET it was AM Radio and mainstream media PRINT media like the LA Times who had their own in house music critic. All these celebrity social media accounts set up by publicists and talent agencies who can purchase fake followers/fans did not exist. Bands promoted themselves on the Ed Sullivan show or American Bandstand before MTV. College campuses were fertile grounds for promoting artists. Tickets were affordable. The historic Woodstock and Monterey Pop Festival outdoor concerts were THE E Ticket ride!

I think I'm going to start a new topic in the Cheap Talk and Wine forum about these practices. Dawn, I'm going to link to the article that you posted a few page back if that's okay.

I think I'm going to start a new topic in the Cheap Talk and Wine forum about these practices. Dawn, I'm going to link to the article that you posted a few page back if that's okay.
    Awesome, I'm sorry Dreamer. Did not intend to get off topic. I appreciate the help!!! Dawn

Dawn - I think this discussion is perfectly appropriate for this thread and don't mean to discourage it in any way so there is absolutely no need to apologize. I just thought I would open up a more general debate discussion in another thread that anyone can contribute to since this thread isn't for debate. So, please feel free to carry on here as well if you want. I should have made myself clearer in my above post.