Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: 1977 DC concert

Default Re: 1977 DC concert

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    I don't remember reading that! I have the HFO second night and I can see why, being the perfectionists that they were, the whole concert wasn't released...false starts and forgetting the lyrics...Get Over It is particularly hilarious. As for no one needs the extra income, I doubt that would stop them if that was the only reason.

Was the DC concert planned to be officially released, back in '77? What was all that interview footage in HOTE going to be used for? Were they planning some sort of documentary back then? A concert/movie like The Song Remains the Same?
    The perfectionism excuse. I personally am annoyed at that.

And I find it weird that all those recordings in the documentary existed in such good quality. It's like they forecasted a documentary decades later lol.
    The chemistry... nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
    The perfectionism excuse. I personally am annoyed at that.

And I find it weird that all those recordings in the documentary existed in such good quality. It's like they forecasted a documentary decades later lol.
    I find that weird too. With the professionally shot footage and interviews, it certainly seems like they were planning to do a documentary.

There was also some high-quality footage of concerts in the HFO era, leading me to believe they have a lot more footage than they let on. I appreciate and understand their perfectionism (being a perfectionist myself), but if it's a question of someone playing one wrong note in an intro, most fans wouldn't notice.

I find that weird too. With the professionally shot footage and interviews, it certainly seems like they were planning to do a documentary.

There was also some high-quality footage of concerts in the HFO era, leading me to believe they have a lot more footage than they let on. I appreciate and understand their perfectionism (being a perfectionist myself), but if it's a question of someone playing one wrong note in an intro, most fans wouldn't notice.
    Yeah. Weird. Also, about HFO, let me tell you, there is a huge lot of pro shot stuff circulating around somewhere. There is a lot of TV news clips as well. In addition to bootlegs of course. You may know that Giants Stadium was there on HOTE right? My friends already have a night's soundboard, and we will soon get video.
    The chemistry... nuff said

Well you have to remember, the band didn’t want a documentary originally. Azoff pushed it hard. They made a compromise that it wouldn’t get too invasive and that it wouldn’t air all the dirty laundry but they would do one. The band might not have had any professional footage commissioned by the band. They have the BBC concert which wasn’t aired by them, they had some footage of California Jam (not their decision), and some bootlegs

And also, 1977 setlists were pretty unique in the US parts of the tour. It had many variations. For example, Madison Square 77 had Welcome to the Club, otherwise never performed by the Eagles, alongside Midnight Flyer.
    Wow, I had no idea they ever played Welcome to the Club. That would be cool to hear the Eagles play live.

This article has been probably posted somewhere already, likely in the documentary thread. But to help shed light on the D.C. concert recording issue, I’m posting it here.

The film draws on extraordinary footage (much of which goes public for the first time), including the teenage music-making of key members Henley and Frey, as well as work by legendary cinematographer Haskell Wexler. He produced a seven-camera shoot of the Eagles’ 1977 Washington DC concert (for a documentary that was never released), which takes you all over the stage with the musicians, and out into the audience.
    my emphasis

”The Eagles Through Gibney’s Lens” by Wendy Block, The Huffington Post, Feb. 13, 2013

So apparently there were plans for a documentary back in the 70s that never materialized. When the 2013 doc was being made, they just happened to find this 1977 concert footage they had forgotten about.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Haskell Wexler. A legend in his own time.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Wow, I had no idea they ever played Welcome to the Club. That would be cool to hear the Eagles play live.
    This article has been probably posted somewhere already, likely in the documentary thread. But to help shed light on the D.C. concert recording issue, I’m posting it he.

my emphasis

”The Eagles Through Gibney’s Lens” by Wendy Block, The Huffington Post, Feb. 13, 2013

So apparently there were plans for a documentary back in the 70s that never materialized. When the 2013 doc was being made, they just happened to find this 1977 concert footage they had forgotten about.
    Delilah - There was supposed to be a documentary back in the 70's and for whatever reason it was not done. Also, there was the biography of the band by Ed Sanders(I think it is his last name) which was never published. I had read something somewhere that the 900 page book was still sitting on a shelf in his home. I have no idea why THAT book was never published.

I was watching OOTN from this concert and about the 1:40 mark the shot is from behind Henley looking out and to his left, about elbow range, there is a white piece of paper. I captured a screen shot but my eyes and the image resolution is not that great, I can not make out what it says.

Could this possibly be a set list? Can someone more experienced (wouldn't take much ) check this out?

Stuck on the Border

Hi ETG, I think it is a set list. I notice in the video that when they finish I believe TIE, their is a set list towards the end of the stage near Glenn.

Hi NKIT! Can you tell what it says? This could settle the debate on what was performed or not. Thanks!